Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesill_o_cin
journeyman
Agar question
    #464854 - 11/20/01 06:29 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I want to order a pound of Antibiotic Malt Extract Agar from Fungi Perfecti ($69.95)

What is the best method for preparing agar cultures in plastic petri dishes?

Also I want to order organic rye grain (100 lbs $50.00)
could I use colonized agar to innoculate a small amount rye grain and then use that as a starting spawn material to colonize a large spawn bag (also from fungiperfecti) in order to achieve a succesfull bulk substrate that can be cased with a 50/50+ tek (et al Ryche Hawk)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Agar question [Re: sill_o_cin]
    #464876 - 11/20/01 06:40 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I want to order a pound of Antibiotic Malt Extract Agar from Fungi Perfecti ($69.95)

Poster: sill_o_cin
Subject: Re: Agar question

What is the best method for preparing agar cultures in plastic petri dishes?

Take a flask 500ml-100ml put water in the falsk and then add your MEA presure cook at 15 psi for 45 minutes let pressure go back to zero And then open and wrap a rag or hot mit around it because it get VERY hot use the oven tek if you do not have a glove box. Pour agar in your dishes.

If this is new to you then let your media filled plates sit for a few days before you spread spores.
This will let you know if you contaminated them while preparing them.

Also I want to order organic rye grain (100 lbs $50.00)
That is a very high price for rye our site is down try mycosupply for the rye.

could I use colonized agar to innoculate a small amount rye grain and then use that as a starting spawn material to colonize a large spawn bag (also from fungiperfecti) in order to achieve a succesfull bulk substrate that can be cased with a 50/50+ tek (et al Ryche Hawk)

Yes but you are creating more work for yourself and spending a lot of money for a bulk grow.

get some agar colonize it and add it to rye then add the rye to wheat straw, compost,horse or cow shit.

lanas(myco supply) bags are cheaper then fungi
perfecti's

And we have them in stock for about 50 cents per bag.
You are taking on a huge load BE VERY sterile
you are going to have a lot of contams jumping into this.

Good Luck D

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Agar question [Re: sill_o_cin]
    #464882 - 11/20/01 06:45 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

hi bud... im new to agar but i think antibiotic agar should not be used on a regular basis... only if stricly necessary. perhaps adding a little H2O2 in agar formula for mycelium cloning (h2o2 kills spores) should be healthier...
plastic petris? well, i guess they'd melt if autoclaved/pressure cooked... think the best you can do is to cook your petris in a common pan and pray a little bit... ;)
yes, you can use agar to colonize grain spawn in order to multiply your mycelial mass. the good rate for colonized/uncolonized grain spawn is 1:5 but of course the less virgin grain and the more colonized grain the more chances you have...
if you dont already, perhaps you should get a copy of the mushroom cultivator. outlines these procedures and much more with lots of details...

Offlinecahnooka

Loc: kootenay mountains
Re: Agar question [Re: felixhigh]
    #465303 - 11/21/01 02:52 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

petries really suck.

I use 500ml jam jars turned on their side, but any small glass jar could be made to work.

Petries are hard to get, and can't be sterilized in the cooker

--------------------
Marijuana is a herb. Bush is a dope.

Offlinesill_o_cin
journeyman
Re: Agar question [Re: dimitri211]
    #465857 - 11/21/01 05:23 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the help

So I am thinknig of using small baby food jars as an agar medium with straight MEA +H202

I already have a brick of straw which I used previously with pretty good success. I was able to get 42 dry grams of TC very potent +++

But I just had a failure with another attempt at bulk growth using the straw, but I think it was my fault for not being more sterile. Also the pf cakes I used to inoc the straw spawn were in vitro for 3 months.

In order to save $$$ I will try using those baby jars with the MEA and continue to use the straw I have as my bulk spawn material. I do not have a pressure cooker but looks like I am going to have to break down and buy one.

Does anyone have any further suggestions that will help me get this thing going successfully. I'm tired of loosing all my spawn to contams.

Thanks again

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract