Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblevivid
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Berkeley, California
Re: Attn: ShroomGod, agar questions
    #70920 - 01/09/00 01:58 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I also ordered the agar, heres what it says:

Malt Extract Yeast Peptone Agar + Wheat Flour (MYPA+)

MYPA+ is an excellent general-purpose agar mix that provides for excellent growth of many types of mushroom mycelium, including psilocybes and saprophytic species. Paul Stamets in his book Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms recommends a mix of 4.5 grams with 100cc of water*.

Using real household measuring cups, I found the following**:

1 level teaspoon MYPA+ powder equals about 3 grams (enought for 66.7cc water)
1/4 cup (to the very brim) = about 65cc water
1/2 cup (to the very brim) = 137cc water

All this means that a good mix would be 2 level teaspoons per 1/2 cup (to the brim) of distilled or mineral water. A little extra water is preferred over too litte.

Enjoy!
ShroomGod

*This mix contains the following per 4.5 grams:

2.0g Agar Agar from Fungi Perfecti
2.0g Light high-quality brewers malt sugar
0.2g nutritional yeast
0.2g Gold Medal Softasilk cake flour
0.1g Peptone(enhances saforic fungal growth)

**I realize these measurements differ from the scientific texts, which say there are 236.6cc in one cup of water. I cannot account for this discrepancy.

-------------------------------------------

And there ya go, hope that helped.

vivid

[This message has been edited by vivid (edited January 09, 2000).]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Attn: ShroomGod, agar questions [Re: vivid]
    #70922 - 01/09/00 02:25 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

thanks dude, but I found my paper about two seconds after I posted this...
i do have one other question, is one hour at 15 psi too long, i have heard that will carmelize the agar...
thanks,
Oleander

------------------
I'm only two people away from having a menage a trois!

Anonymous

#70923 - 01/09/00 11:44 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Oleander, that is entirely too long unless you are trying to sterilize a very large volume of liquid. If you pour your media prior to sterilization, then 20 minutes is PLENTY of time and is what I use. If you pour it after and have a couple hundred ml (like a half pint), I'd let it go for 30 to 45 minutes. Just don't go crazy with the sterilization time. Believe me, the mix sterilizes relatively easy.

ShroomGod

Anonymous

#70924 - 01/10/00 09:47 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I went with 30 minutes...
Oleander

------------------

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
    #70925 - 01/10/00 08:00 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

It is enough, but one hour would be better

Anonymous

#70926 - 01/10/00 09:04 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

the first time I tried it, i did pressure cook it one hour, but it turned hard like hard candy, so I only did the thirty minutes this time, and it's more the jelly consistency...
Oleander

------------------

Anonymous

#70927 - 01/11/00 12:01 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Crobih, I disagree. The media is either sterile or it is not. If it only takes 30 minutes, then that is good enough. Extra time only will increase carmelized sugars which slow mycelium and more quickly weaken a strain given several transfers.

ShroomGod

Anonymous

#70928 - 01/12/00 09:04 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

ShroomGod-now I have another question, My "button" spores have germinated, but since there is still spores underneath the mycelium, the myc. looks rather grey than white, is that ok since there are black spores underneath the myc? Also, my dishes are great, but there is massive condensation on the top, so much that I can't observe the progress of the growth... is there anything I can do? How about next time, is there something I can do before I innoculate? I want to start trying tissue transfers, and will be using peroxidated agar next time...
thanks,
Oleander

------------------

Anonymous

#70929 - 01/12/00 12:34 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Oleander, I the spores should not hurt, but next time, just use a small piece of print. There is no need to have so many spores.

As for the condensation, always store your half pint jars or petri dishes upside down and use a relatively thin layer of agar. This way, you can see through the agar and watch the mycelium grow. Also, this way there is no condensation on the surface of the agar, which is always bad news.

Lastly, those who pour their agar mix before they do the pressure cooking (like I do) tend to get more condensation problems. You might want to pour while the mix is still very hot but after it has been pressure sterilized.

ShroomGod

Anonymous

#70930 - 01/12/00 03:49 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Doh! I'm sitting here slapping myself on the forhead! that's so obvious, and now that I think about it, I think i had heard that somewhere before... Thanks, for all your help... I feel that I would be nowhere as successful(not saying much) as I am without yous guys help...
Oleander

------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag