Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67122 -

I would not recommend opening the plastic and going cool mist until the casing is colonized. If you decide to not wait, you will reduce your yield DRASTICALLY. I'm talking about 25% the yield in my experience compared to waiting until the casing is colonized under the plastic (and incubating at 80-85°F).

Big yeilds are a result of proper casing management. An optimum yield will be 90-180 dried grams per square foot depending on straw depth. I've personally seen 150g per square foot over several flushes and was very impressed.

ShroomGod

[This message has been edited by ShroomGod (edited November 30, 1999).]


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67124 -

DRYED GRAMS!!!! I am on that shit, next batch. Good lord!


--------------------
my vocabulary did this to me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67125 -

Thanks ShroomGod!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67126 -

Holy shit!! Is there a tek or document that I could read to understand what it is you guys are doing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67127 -

Yeah, let me know what tek that was

------------------
Peace
Blue


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67128 -

The Tek is ShroomGod's! Thanks again ShroomGod. I modify it slightly to fit my needs, but I have had nothing but excellent results. I thinks the accuracy in temps during pasturization is key!

find the tek here
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Creek/3715/StrawTek.html


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67129 -

Good pasteurization temperatures will get you to the casing, but you need to colonize that casing at incubation temperatures to really get a super yield. Once you have a casing colonize correctly, you'll never want anything less. Remember, those yields (2 to 4 wet pounds or 90 to 180 dried per square foot) are NOT me making something up. The numbers come straight from The Mushroom Cultivator and have been confirmed by me. Those are consider AVERAGE yields too (not maximum)! This is a serious amount of shroomage guys, and it's in your grasp if you follow my straw tek.

ShroomGod


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67130 -

shroomgod
i've heard that timothy hay works better than straw. also how would using pf cakes crumbled work with your tek.

lestat


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67131 -

Hey ShroomGod, do you know the figures for manure? I know that those figures are for bulk straw beds, but what about maure beds?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67132 -

shroomgod
i for got to ask have you ever tried jaff's mycelium slurry tek with your straw tek or is it really not necessary.

lestat


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67133 -

lestat, timothy hay does not work at all expect for quite small trays or bags. It definitely would not work for several square feet. It contaminates because hay has too high of nitrogen content. I have not tried the mycelium slurry, and I can't imagine wanting to try it either. Water is like a superhighway for bacteria, so I wouldn't use it in the innoculum for an unsterile environment (like straw).

Dan, I don't have the figures for manuer, but I'd guess it'd end up being around 150% biological efficiency like straw. That is you can expect 1.5 times the dry weight of the manuer in WET grams of mushrooms. Now, manuer can hold vastly different amounts of water, so you'd need to dry a sample to find out how much wet manuer weight is going to produce in terms of shrooms.

ShroomGod


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67134 -

shroomgod
how many cakes would one need for say 9ft.sq. at 4in. thick? what i meant to ask about before was jaff's corncob slurry which isn't a liquid innoculation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67135 -

For everyone who's read this thread, I think the following page I made some time ago would be useful: The Importance of a Great Casing

lestat, at that depth compressed or chopped straw, you need about 2 half pints per square foot (18 half pints) to be safe. Of course, you could get away with less, but I wouldn't bother trying.

ShroomGod

[This message has been edited by ShroomGod (edited December 02, 1999).]


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Huge Straw Project, When to initiate???? Attn:ShroomGod
    #67136 -

Lestat-
I have a few 1/2 pints that I'm planning on using to make the slurry to grow the corn cob, then using on Shroom God's straw tek. I think it should work, plus you get a butt load of spawn to play with...
Oleander

------------------
Do you answer questions, or question answers?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Re: Attn: ShroomGod, agar questions vivid 3,018 9 01/12/00 03:49 PM
by Anonymous
* Getting around cutting straw?? MrMaddHatter 728 2 02/15/04 11:29 PM
by MrMaddHatter
* Straw ready to case?! fIsh in my head 1,074 9 11/27/03 04:36 PM
by shirley knott
* Straw Casing , colonizing and contams , plz help Callampin 1,733 10 12/23/03 09:05 AM
by trkgsy
* how much more prone to contamination is straw than poo? Anonymous 830 5 01/06/04 07:20 PM
by Anonymous
* Greenish growth on straw. What is that? fIsh in my head 644 3 11/19/03 07:04 PM
by fIsh in my head
* Dunking straw cake? FanaTEK 1,257 4 08/03/02 10:54 AM
by TM
* Straw - is it time to case? theseeker 916 4 06/24/02 08:15 AM
by bassplayer74

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
2,623 topic views. 12 members, 101 guests and 148 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 13 queries.