Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCallampin
Psyco Myco
 User Gallery

Straw Casing , colonizing and contams , plz help
    #2192730 - 12/20/03 12:56 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

hi , recenlty ive been working with some creepers and the thing is that ive done a bunch of pure straw casings ,in about 5 liter containers and spawning with i pint cups , now the thing is tht they colonize like fuckers but when its about to finish colonizacion and be ready to fruit they get damn fuking trichoderma and it easts avery thing , now mi question is :
is this happening because im using to little spawn?? or should i add something else to the straw , cause it does well until 2 weeks , and for all i know thats the period in witch the straw remains clean of contams , so would the prob be fixed with the use of a larger amount of spawn???

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: Straw Casing , colonizing and contams , plz help [Re: Callampin]
    #2192773 - 12/20/03 01:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

larger amounts of spawn should do the trick,the quicker you can get 100% colonisation then the less change of contam sneaking in during the last 5 or 10% of the colonisation phase.try doubling or even tripling the amount of spawn,it's a small price to pay for the results you want.

PS.i've never grown off of straw but what i said makes sense to me.
if i'm wrong then i invite the harshest of criticism and probably deserve to be burned at the stake for passing on dodgy info.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Offlineforevrgrounded98
Stranger

Re: Straw Casing , colonizing and contams , plz help [Re: Hanky]
    #2192778 - 12/20/03 01:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

lol, that was a help to me too. I read on the advanced forum that a guy using cakes that went contamed injected 20cc's of 3% H202 right from the bottle into the cake and the contam went away and the mycelium continued to grow, sooooooooo.... perhaps if you sprayed ur casing or injected H202 right fomr the bottle it might solve ur problem too. Best of luck.
-matt

--------------------
"If I don't see ya before the end of this one, I'll meet ya in the next one and don't be late" - Jimi Hendrix

OfflineCallampin
Psyco Myco
 User Gallery

Re: Straw Casing , colonizing and contams , plz help [Re: Hanky]
    #2192782 - 12/20/03 01:25 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yeah i think the same , imean the quiker it gets colonized the less risk of contams .
hey hanky but what teks do you use instead of straw?

OfflineCallampin
Psyco Myco
 User Gallery

#2192784 - 12/20/03 01:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

mm buit doesnt h2o2 kill teh myc in large quantities?

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2192791 - 12/20/03 01:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i use either my own mix of BRF/hulled millet.
or straight cased grains.
i'd do bulk but i just dont need that many shrooms,i wont sell them and only know a few people to give my excess shrooms to.

regarding H2O2.i've used it for dunking cakes at ratios up to as strong as 10/1,the myc will fizz heaps but recover with ease.
i've painted straight peroxide onto cobweb with good results.
i dont actually think peroxide will do much against the evil green,cobweb is a lightweight contam,trich is the undesputed heavyweight world champ.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2192874 - 12/20/03 03:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I lost many straw projects before finally be able to get some results. I don't know why, everytime the spawn run was completed successfully and when a casing layer was applied, a couple days later the heavyweight champion starts to pop up with no reason.

I kept trying and trying and now i'm having my first good results!!

When you get the trich, it's almost certain to fail. I was never able to win a fight against this one. With grain casings, you can win if you amputate a large portion of the casing but with straw, it's kinda hard to do.

However, I saved this project while it was colonizing. There was some cobweb growth that was easily removed and sprayed with a diluted bleach solution :

The rest of the spawn run went fine. When I first saw the contam, I thought I failed again... seems like I can win sometimes!

So try and and try again...

How did you pasteurized your straw?

It is said that pasteurized straw gives you around 2 weeks of fighting the contam for you. If your spawn run goes over this, contamination becomes a serious factor. Myself I never was able to complete a spawn run in less than 2 weeks. I think my problem is the lack of air exchange in my colonization setup or maybe my straw is too wet or something. I think the project shown in pic took almost a month to fully colonize and was probably extremly lucky to make it to this point!

.fs.

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: Straw Casing , colonizing and contams , plz help [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2192979 - 12/20/03 03:58 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

What was your spawn to straw racio fish?

--------------------

OfflineCallampin
Psyco Myco
 User Gallery

Re: Straw Casing , colonizing and contams , plz help [Re: Cloud9]
    #2195972 - 12/22/03 05:37 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i usually pc mi friggin straw for like 2 hours , the thing is that i usually use like une cup of spawn so by the 2 weeks there is still some naked straw , so im thinking if i but a huge load of spawn im gona complete it in tyhe 2 weeks or less and success will be near :smile:
cause usually happens the same thing that  when its about done the fukin trich pops up and eat everything.

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2196905 - 12/23/03 01:03 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Did you say Pressure Cooking your straw for 2 hours? Hmm that is definately your problem.

You don't want to *sterilize* your straw. You should aim for a good *pasteurization* instead.

Sterilizing bulk is bad because it leaves your straw completely defenseless against contams. Pasteurization kills the bad germs and leave the good microbial life alive so they can fight contam for you for a little while.

A good pasteurization can be achieved by soaking your straw in a pillowcase for 120 minutes at 170F. A cheap candy thermometer is really useful to make sure you have the good temp. Never go above 180F since this is already too hot.

Have a look to this growlog. It illustrates very well how a pasteurization can be achieved. Some pics are included :

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...part=1&vc=1

.fs.

Offlinetrkgsy
e-mail bomber
Loc: Mid-atlantic US
    #2197443 - 12/23/03 11:05 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yea what fish said

Another good way to really speed up colonization is to throw some poo in there. Adding the manure also makes the pasteurization easy, if you use the oven bag method anyways. I innoculated a bag of straw and poo, about 3/4 of a quart jar of grain spawn mixed in with a 3/4 full turkey sized oven bag of evenly mixed straw and poo.(by volume)
It fully colonized in 6 days, by the 8th day the bag seemed to overflow. plus this method of paseurization is nice and clean. I used this bag to spawn some more of the same, and the grow eventually ended in what I consider to be failure(30 grams wet or so)
One thing I noticed was that the sustrate was somewhat dry, fine whispy mycelial growth indicated this. I believe this is due to the fact that dry heat is used. I'm sure this condition can be fixed with adjustment of the amount of water put in, but the dryness only arrived after spawning bag to bag, the original bag was fine.

lots of spawn+pastuerized shit=fast colonization

trkgsy

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation