Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims
    #4635133 -

As no unbiased and repeatable study has EVER shown prayer to have any affect whatsoever, this is a totaly useless gesture/ritual that promotes primitive superstitions and accomplishes absolutely nothing.


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Swami]
    #4635138 -

Swami said:
this is a totaly useless gesture/ritual that promotes primitive superstitions and accomplishes absolutely nothing.



Oh, you're no fun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Swami]
    #4635174 -

I dunno swami, Bush worships the devil and so far it's been working out for him

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: chodamunky]
    #4635251 -

When I saw that headline on CNN.com earlier I said to myself, "is this guy fucking serious?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: bukkake]
    #4635390 -

It's a Judeo Christian country and prayer days are sort of traditional. Sorry. If anything it gets people to refelect on things and think about other people. I have no problem with it. Praying can be very helpful even if you are the only one hearing it.


--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4635428 -

Divided_Sky said:
It's a Judeo Christian country and prayer days are sort of traditional. Sorry. If anything it gets people to refelect on things and think about other people. I have no problem with it. Praying can be very helpful even if you are the only one hearing it.



:thumbup:

I don't subscribe to prayer, but if it gives a placebo effect to those who do, then more power to them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Swami]
    #4635468 -

It's an appeal to the masses. What more would one expect from a politician? Prayer is practically a benign cancer compared to some of the other actions they take.


--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Swami]
    #4636951 -

Who knows. If you have millions of people meditating on the same thing at the same time who knows what might happen. The powers of mass conscienceness does have some merits.
At the very least if it gives people some peace of mind-let them pray.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Swami]
    #4636976 -

Quote:
Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims



Perhaps Bush should have proposed a week of preparation before Katrina so that there wouldn't be victims. I wonder what God was telling him to do instead...

Quote:
If you have millions of people meditating on the same thing at the same time who knows what might happen.



I have a pretty good idea what would happen... I don't want to take the fun away from Swami, but my answer starts with the letter N and ends with ING. (*gasp* I bet I just red Swami's mind... I must be special or something... time to go buy a lottery ticket!)

Quote:
It's a Judeo Christian country and prayer days are sort of traditional.



What?! The number one huge big deal in the US constitution is that there is no official religion for the country... everybody is free to worship as they please, or to not worship at all. Granted, there are a lot of Christian's in the US, but that does not mean that the US is a Christian country.

Personally, I find it offensive in the extreme that the President asked people to pray. I didn't hire him to led the country in a religious ceremony, I hired him to protect the people of the country and to defend the constitution.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Seuss]
    #4636989 -

I disagree with your last statement...The U.S. is a painfully obvious religious country.

"one nation under god"..."in god we trust"...very influential christian special interest groups...the bible belt...I could go on for a while.


--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Rono]
    #4637253 -

Rono said:
I disagree with your last statement...The U.S. is a painfully obvious religious country.

"one nation under god"..."in god we trust"...very influential christian special interest groups...the bible belt...I could go on for a while.



Not necessarily true. Many of the founding fathers were Deists, who are not Christians. They believe there was a god or higher being who created the Earth, but then left it to make its own destiny.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Swami]
    #4637268 -

I think he just likes to close his eyes and put his head down for a while every now and then.


Beats workin!  :drooling:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Rono]
    #4637507 -

Quote:
"one nation under god"..."in god we trust"...very influential christian special interest groups..



Those have only been around since the mid 50's when the neocon's took over the country in a bloodless coup... basically about the same time that the country started to go downhill.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Seuss]
    #4637808 -

Yay for seperation of church and state  :nonono:


--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Sycronica]
    #4638001 -

Nowhere in the constitution is there anything decribing a separation of church and state. Though I believe in little to no mixing of the two, the constitution only says that the gov't can not establish a religion or prevent people from believing what they wish.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Redstorm]
    #4638052 -

ahhh you have just proved your own statement incorrect. the government cannot establish a religion...which is where the seperation comes from! meaning the govt using christian terms or symbols....or tax payer $$$ going to pay for christian stuff is unconstitutional! the govt would in fact be establishing a religion. the problem with these fucks today is they want govt and religion mixed...like in iran...which sucks...because look at iran...it sucks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4638082 -

KingOftheThing said:
ahhh you have just proved your own statement incorrect. the government cannot establish a religion...which is where the seperation comes from! meaning the govt using christian terms or symbols....or tax payer $$$ going to pay for christian stuff is unconstitutional! the govt would in fact be establishing a religion. the problem with these fucks today is they want govt and religion mixed...like in iran...which sucks...because look at iran...it sucks.



Incorrect. By establishing a religion, the framers meant that legal state-sponsored churches were not allowed to exist. This only applied to the federal government, though, so many states had state churches until they made them illegal in their respective constitutions.

I am not a strict separatist, but any time the two get too entangled, it starts to make me nervous. Things like haveing the Ten Commandments on a statue on a county courthouse lawn does not bother me, though. People who whine about that sort of shit are absurd.

The gov't (backed by the courts) has allowed some relationships between religion and state to exist. Read up on the Lemon Test, if you are curious as to what is an allowable relationship.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Redstorm]
    #4638156 -

There is an undeniable pro-Christian / anti-non-Christian bias in our court system.


I believe having the ten commandments on display in a courtroom is a clear indication of bias, and that anyone who wants it should automatically recieve a change of venue.

No matter which party requests it, or for what reason.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4638166 -

I don't know why they're even praying since Katrina was an act of God. You would think everyone would be like "Ah you're gonna be a tough guy, huh?" towards God


--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bush proposes day of prayer for Katrina victims [Re: Swami]
    #4638202 -

Maybe Bush should outline the scientific method to the gathered mourners and ask everyone to think of a cool hypothesis to test during these times of crisis.


--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* So why should i vote for bush?
( 1 2 all )
Scarfmeister 1,850 25 08/01/04 08:17 PM
by Ravus
* Is George W Bush the Messiah?
( 1 2 3 all )
PsiloKitten 3,459 58 10/17/03 10:11 AM
by GernBlanston
* Bush gives up sweets, feels "called by God" EchoVortex 859 6 04/02/03 06:30 PM
by adrug
* Bush Increasing Religious Allusions
( 1 2 all )
Crapula 2,289 35 02/21/03 11:06 AM
by luvdemshrooms
* US troops asked to pray . . . for Bush! EchoVortex 567 9 03/31/03 02:33 AM
by RadioActiveSlug
* U.S. Soldiers in Iraq Asked to Pray for Bush Anonymous 369 1 04/04/03 09:32 AM
by Buddha5254
* Interview with the woman Bush allegedly sexually assaulted
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
LearyfanS 7,627 92 07/24/03 06:14 AM
by Phred
* BEYOND BUSH - Part I RonoS 1,602 12 07/02/03 03:07 PM
by Rono

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
2,626 topic views. 3 members, 2 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.