Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Bonsai Anyone?
    #4609502 -

Are there any bonsai enthusiasts out there? If so what type and style are you growing? I personally think that bonsai is a great artform which teaches patience and planning. I've got a couple of trident maples that are about 10 years old...beautiful plants


--------------------
The things you own end up owning you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: aig]
    #4609590 -

I use to have bonsai, but when I moved, my new patio turned out to be too hot here in Tx, 112 deg some days, they all fried, my fav, was a grove of maples. I have been thinging of getting a black olive
that I can keep inside. this is a old pic of mine before they died.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: rod]
    #4618722 -

so where can u buy these things


--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4618938 -

bonsai simply means tray planted(roughly), there are many good online supliers of live bonsai trees or you can grab just the suplies and seed of your favorite tree and have at it.


--------------------
All statments, Imagery, and Ideas contained therin any postings are meerly retold sotrys of fictional acts created by a figmant of the universe imagination.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: ssjwizard]
    #4619209 -

ok, so not be be an idiot but u have any links of growing bosnai from seed?


--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4619516 -

hey id like some info on that too, all i found so far
is adds of books n stuff...


--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4621454 -

Growing a bonsai from seed is no different from growing anything else, at least to start with. Doing that results in VERY delayed gratification (but much greater in the end.)

I got my feet wet in bonsai with junipers bought from Lowe's. Its a great way to get into it quickly, as well as to practice technique without worrying about killing something you've invested years in.


--------------------
\m/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: PsychoChipmunk]
    #4621608 -

what we need is something that tells us how to cut and where in order to turn our sprouts into bonsai...


--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4621753 -

There is no real set in stone way to go about what you're asking. One thing that comes to mine- your plant should be in a shallow dish. By restricting the roots space you will keep the plant smaller, but this isn't strictly necessary.

As far as cutting, its best to use a set of concave cutters. These are a type of specialty pruning tool that leaves a concave indention where you make the cut. Wound dressing is used by some people to help the plant heal and leave less of a scar. I've never used it and have never had problems, I also think the scars can give character to the plant.

At some point you will need to 'top' the plant, which is just removing the apex. This will generally slow/halt vertical growth and cause the plant to expand horizontally. When to do this is up to you.

There are alot of things that can be done to give your plant different types of character. Its a good idea to go to a library and look at some books on the subject, as some other techniques that are used can end up killing your plant (like defoliation) if not done right (and sometimes even then.)


--------------------
\m/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: PsychoChipmunk]
    #4622227 -

thanks, I was thinking of going with the blood japanese maple. very beautiful plant


--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4625574 -

I have several bonsai..... including a red wood, japanese red maple, and many others. I have taken several bonsai classes and basically what they all amount to is..... its your bonsai.... do what you want with it.
A bonsai can be as big or as small as you want it....
One thing I've been told is you want a dish that is approximately twice as deep as the trunk of your tree is thick...
If you don't like the idea of topping your trees you can just form the tree into strange shapes so that it doesn't appear as tall....
One thing people do in order to keep their trees from growing too large is in the spring/early summer when the trees come out of dormancy pluck the new growth points from the trees(these are typically of a different color then the established foliage). This will keep them from growing as large and seems much less traumatic than chopping off large portions of the tree.... in my own opinion.
Also, approximately once a year you want to pull the tree up from its container and trim down the roots. This also helps to keep it from growing too large.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: ShattrdHarlequin]
    #4626071 -

nice tips man, thanks


--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: aig]
    #4627315 -

i have many bonzai.
Got into it when i was 12 with my mother.

I have a juniper, a couple red maples, a couple crab apples, a couple orange trees.
im also starting the process with a few caudisiforms O. decaryi and dorstina gigas.

Both the o. decaryi and the dorstina make fantastic bonzai.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4628555 -

Fluxburn said:
ok, so not be be an idiot but u have any links of growing bosnai from seed?



http://www.bonsaitalk.com/

Its a whole online community/message dedicated to growing bonsai. I'm sure there's tons of people here that could help you out. There's other links and articles too.

I just got a bonsai plant myself, but I'm a newbie and don't know much about bonsai at all. First I need to decide how I want to shape it. At this point I have no clue. One day when have the time I'll post a picture. Its a Juniper.

I do know that growing bonsai from seed can take a REALLY long time depending on what type of tree you grow. Expect anywhere from 20 - 80 years until your bonsai is 'completed'. The art of bonsai is not for those who seek instant gratification.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bonsai Anyone? [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4630914 -

heres a place where I got some trees from, and their site has a lot of good info.
http://www.brusselsbonsai.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* The Bonsai Thread
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
ThatKidWithTheFace 11,427 146 12/03/17 05:40 AM
by TheUpsideDown
* I want to learn how to do bonsai... mike-ologist 1,273 16 02/10/13 12:17 AM
by mike-ologist
* Bonsai Prof. Astro 1,192 12 10/15/08 07:29 AM
by satyr
* Can a bonsai tree be made from any kind of tree?
( 1 2 3 all )
Ogla 5,684 48 01/07/10 11:38 PM
by DeeGee
* anyone bonsai ethnos?
( 1 2 all )
kadakuda 3,375 20 03/06/05 03:59 AM
by Psilopleix
* My Bonsai - Help :D Alex TrebekS 871 14 06/15/10 05:13 AM
by makaveli8x8
* unOfficial Bonsai Thread
( 1 2 3 all )
ferrel_human 4,357 45 05/30/11 12:08 PM
by sheepherder
* Cactus ID plus bonsai trees Junkheadrev 1,127 14 05/12/13 12:35 AM
by paradoxical2020

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
1,988 topic views. 0 members, 6 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.