Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJah2997
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: kactus.brand.g] * 1
    #23138715 - 04/20/16 10:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

cotoneaster mame bonsai I started to work with last year

One of my instructors for my Sustainable agriscience class likes to keep bonsai and this is one of his ficus

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekactus.brand.g
Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: Jah2997]
    #23138845 - 04/20/16 10:50 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Very nice!

OfflineThatKidWithTheFace
R.I.P. ZIG R.I.P. Sloth
Male

Loc: All Good in Allgood
Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #23138945 - 04/20/16 11:23 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I usually don't like ficus bonsai, but  that's cool

--------------------
Check Out My Beats
SoundCloud

[quote]Sheekle said:
[quote]ThatKidWithTheFace said:
Is this the same aunt that fucks dogs?[/quote]
u bet ur ass it is.[/quote]

OfflineJah2997
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: ThatKidWithTheFace]
    #23139006 - 04/20/16 11:46 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I feel that. I don't always find some ficus to be as unique or as aesthetically pleasing as some other species of bonsai. This one has had alot of time put into it tho.

--------------------

InvisibleMrGiraffe

#23141341 - 04/21/16 05:43 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I've been taking cuttings of  'slender silhouette' american sweet gum while pruning at work this week.  Hopefully they root, got them in a perlite/coco mix in the green house.  I should probably shade them.  I think they'd look awesome as a grove/forest planting.  Some of the branches are pretty large.  One has a nice fork for a twin trunk if it takes root.  I know the bigger older wood is less likely to root but I had so much cutting material I couldn't resist trying a bigger one and maybe getting a head start.  Apparently sweet gum grows rapidly and back buds profusely on it's own.

--------------------

InvisiblejimmyBbuffet

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #23142754 - 04/21/16 11:08 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MrGiraffe said:
I've been taking cuttings of  'slender silhouette' american sweet gum while pruning at work this week.  Hopefully they root, got them in a perlite/coco mix in the green house.  I should probably shade them.  I think they'd look awesome as a grove/forest planting.  Some of the branches are pretty large.  One has a nice fork for a twin trunk if it takes root.  I know the bigger older wood is less likely to root but I had so much cutting material I couldn't resist trying a bigger one and maybe getting a head start.  Apparently sweet gum grows rapidly and back buds profusely on it's own.

Damn! I had never seen a sweet gum before, cut one down this past week and thought about taking some cuttings home. Alas they went in the chipper. Good luck with them, should make for a cool bonsai :thumbup:

OfflineJah2997
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: jimmyBbuffet] * 1
    #23165654 - 04/28/16 03:43 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

My Norway spruce bonsai

cotoneaster (current)

my whole tree and shrub collection

--------------------

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #23165978 - 04/28/16 05:12 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Jah2997 said:
My Norway spruce bonsai

cotoneaster (current)

my whole tree and shrub collection

Very nice!

InvisiblejimmyBbuffet

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #23167079 - 04/28/16 09:43 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Would never have even considered a cotoneaster for a bonsai but it looks good. Love the dead top on the spruce :thumbup:

OfflineJah2997
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: jimmyBbuffet]
    #23167094 - 04/28/16 09:51 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

cotoneaster have really nice leaves for bonsai and imo they seem to like small containers. and thank I was nervous doing it last fall but it didnt kill it an its even starting to get new growth so im pretty happy aboout that

--------------------

OfflineThatKidWithTheFace
R.I.P. ZIG R.I.P. Sloth
Male

Loc: All Good in Allgood
    #23171581 - 04/30/16 02:50 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I've got a little rosemary plant I'm gonna trim up tomorrow,  and take some Japanese Maple cuttings

--------------------
Check Out My Beats
SoundCloud

[quote]Sheekle said:
[quote]ThatKidWithTheFace said:
Is this the same aunt that fucks dogs?[/quote]
u bet ur ass it is.[/quote]

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #23171771 - 04/30/16 05:58 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ThatKidWithTheFace said:
I've got a little rosemary plant I'm gonna trim up tomorrow,  and take some Japanese Maple cuttings

Right on,post your progress:cool:

InvisibleMrGiraffe

#23173598 - 04/30/16 06:16 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ThatKidWithTheFace said:

Just a heads up on the JM, most don't root well.  That's the reason the bigger nurseries use grafting for propagation instead of cuttings.  If you take it up they usually do grafts as low as possible for cultivars that are sought after for bonsai.

These are some jade plants I picked up at a local greenhouse the last few days.  Got all 3 for $23.  $12 for the biggun, 6.50 for the one on the right and 4.50 for the one on the left.  The little one in the front came off the mid sized one, had already rooted so I shoved it in the pot with a little cactus I picked up from Lowe's that has flower buds and the portulaca trailing vines.  Bought the biggest one and then decided to go back and get a few more for a sort of grove style planting.  The big one is right at "12 tall and the thicker trunk on it is 1" .  The little one is a single trunk specimen and it's actually pretty thick for it's height. the angle of the picture just doesn't show it all that well.  May eventually separate them, but this was the biggest pot I had and I wanted to give them plenty of room to grow.

--------------------

InvisiblejimmyBbuffet

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: MrGiraffe]
    #23175574 - 05/01/16 09:53 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Here's a little Japanese Maple seedling I dug up the other day from underneath a big mature one. It was redder when I first brought it home. I'm thinking maybe it changed from either light or pH difference? Figured it's a perfect bonsai candidate.

Offlinekactus.brand.g
Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: jimmyBbuffet]
    #23175582 - 05/01/16 09:56 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MrGiraffe said:
Quote:

ThatKidWithTheFace said:

Just a heads up on the JM, most don't root well.  That's the reason the bigger nurseries use grafting for propagation instead of cuttings.  If you take it up they usually do grafts as low as possible for cultivars that are sought after for bonsai.

These are some jade plants I picked up at a local greenhouse the last few days.  Got all 3 for $23.  $12 for the biggun, 6.50 for the one on the right and 4.50 for the one on the left.  The little one in the front came off the mid sized one, had already rooted so I shoved it in the pot with a little cactus I picked up from Lowe's that has flower buds and the portulaca trailing vines.  Bought the biggest one and then decided to go back and get a few more for a sort of grove style planting.  The big one is right at "12 tall and the thicker trunk on it is 1" .  The little one is a single trunk specimen and it's actually pretty thick for it's height. the angle of the picture just doesn't show it all that well.  May eventually separate them, but this was the biggest pot I had and I wanted to give them plenty of room to grow.

Very nice score man:thumbup:

Quote:

p0stij said:
Here's a little Japanese Maple seedling I dug up the other day from underneath a big mature one. It was redder when I first brought it home. I'm thinking maybe it changed from either light or pH difference? Figured it's a perfect bonsai candidate.

I'd say that is a perfect candidate!

Offlinexecuter33
Boom Shanka
Male User Gallery

Loc: 6b
    #23359514 - 06/18/16 11:31 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Working on an ID for my Bonsi:

--------------------
Blooming Green

"To take those fools in clerical garb seriously is to show them too much honor."
      Albert Einstein

"Darling Fascist Bullyboy, Give me some more money, you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman, Neil."

InvisibleEl Torcho
Time for tea?
I'm a teapot

Loc: Lone Pine Hill
Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: xecuter33]
    #23366420 - 06/21/16 10:10 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Thought I would show my new project. It happened kinda randomly so here it is. I looked up jade plants on Wikipedia for some reason a few weeks ago and I noticed they were used for bonsai. I used to have a bonsai as a teenager, so I was interested in getting back into it. Then about a week ago I noticed my jade plant had lost a leaf and that leaf was now starting a new plant. I happened to be at a goodwill store the next day and I found a sweet little granite vase to use as a container. So I filled it with a rich organic soil and put in the tiny little jade plant start.

Here is the $5 granite vase. It probably holds about 6-7 oz of water, so you can get a size reference.

Here is the jade plant that I transplanted. I buried the leaf it started out of so it would decompose and provide some nutes. This thing was already throwing out some roots, so I sprinkled them with some mycorrhizae spores and planted it. I 'borrowed' some soil from an aloe plant I have. There are red worms in that aloe plant, so a lot of their castings went into the vase. I tried to bury a few alfalfa pellets as well, to break down and enrich the soil over time when the roots get bigger. I even noticed a tiny red worm baby made it in here, so who knows how it's life will go. I added some neem and kelp meals to the top as well.

I see most people start with a bigger plant trimmed down. Is this better than starting from a small starting plant?

--------------------
"Well it sounds trivial, but the key insight is . . . . . you don't know shit"
~Dennis McKenna

"There is more to human existence and to reality itself than science can ever give us access to."
~His Holiness, The 14th Dalai Lama

OfflineJah2997
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: xecuter33]
    #23367182 - 06/21/16 03:29 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I think thats a fukien tea bonsai

--------------------

InvisiblejimmyBbuffet
    #23367761 - 06/21/16 06:15 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

The smaller start the better IMO!

Offlinexecuter33
Boom Shanka
Male User Gallery

Loc: 6b
    #23368876 - 06/22/16 01:41 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I do believe your right. Thanks for that. I was having a difficult time finding that info, close at times but not this close.

Looking for a cutting to take when at golf course for future bonsai.

--------------------
Blooming Green

"To take those fools in clerical garb seriously is to show them too much honor."
      Albert Einstein

"Darling Fascist Bullyboy, Give me some more money, you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman, Neil."

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract