Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Flow hood & terrarium air question
    #4596039 -

Hi,
I have some questions concerning the flow hood.

I found a good guide made by Anno to do mine at this address:
http://www.fungifun.org/flowhood/

I found interesting information to determine which blower I need too :
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23404

Now please tell me if i'm right. The flow hood is only to ensure a clean air when I must make operations outside the terrarium, like handling the substrate, handling the casing, to make an spore print, and a syringe. That does not replace the air filtration of the terrarium, and I must also have something to filter the terrarium air exange. If i'm right, what are you using to filter your terrarium air ? My terrarium will have 32 inches long, 18 inches of width and 14 inches height. Any idea of high efficiency filter I can use for the air filtration ?

Thanks a lot
wise gardener

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flow hood & terrarium air question [Re: wise_gardener]
    #4596491 -

wise_gardener said:
Now please tell me if i'm right. The flow hood is only to ensure a clean air when I must make operations outside the terrarium, like handling the substrate, handling the casing, to make an spore print, and a syringe.



it provides almost completely sterile air, 99.7% of airborne partiles including mold spores are removed, it's great for any sort of sterile work, not just what you've listed


Quote:
That does not replace the air filtration of the terrarium, and I must also have something to filter the terrarium air exange. If i'm right, what are you using to filter your terrarium air ?



I've used nothing, noting is needed really, just mage sure that you're terrarium is kept in a reasonable clean environment

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flow hood & terrarium air question [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4598421 -

Nothing is needed !? I'm not sure to understand. I need completly sterile environement for subtrat and inoculation. Again full sterile for casing mixture, and for spore print/seringe. And I don't need sterile air to come in my terrarium !? My air room without filtration can do the work ?

Perhaps that it is because you let your flow hood function all the time but I presume that the blower sould generate a lot of noise. Please specify your idea. Thanks a lot
wise gardener

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flow hood & terrarium air question [Re: wise_gardener]
    #4598463 -


Flowhood is for sterile work -like- agar/petri - G2G, adding spawn to substrate & things where you expose any uncolonized nutrient medium to open air.

Once any nutrient medium is COLONIZED - it is somewhat protected by the mycelium - itself - like a barrier - or shield.

Fully colonized cakes, or bulk substrates have that barrier - in place.

Meaning, you can expose them to FRESH AIR EXCHANGE. So long as that air is not filthy.

Starting out, a GLOVE BOX is all you need for any STERILE WORK.

I use an impeller type cool mist for automated fresh air exchange into a fruiting chamber. The air going into the cool mist is normal air - EXCEPTING - I run a small portable HEPA in the room - so the air is somewhat clean.


Portable HEPA & IMPELLER type cool mist.

I only run the flowhood AS NEEDED - to conserve the FILTER LIFE.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy
( 1 2 all )
SixTango 17,612 25 04/09/02 11:14 AM
by rebelmoon
* Oven Hood to flow hood conversion? G a n j a 2,399 3 01/13/03 04:23 AM
by debianlinux
* laminar air flow hood question yogithehoneybear 2,143 2 01/27/02 06:20 AM
by mycofile
* sharper image ionic breeze ? convertable flow hood kzlazy 1,140 2 04/19/02 11:05 PM
by kzlazy
* flow hoods and blower motors quietnick 1,719 3 07/15/02 11:59 AM
by groingrinder
* flow hood ast 743 2 07/22/02 06:12 AM
by bluefoot
* Hepa Air Purifier Flow Hood? tenaciousC 2,821 1 04/20/02 06:51 PM
by Baccus
* need a blower for flow hood cbull 851 1 05/22/02 03:24 PM
by BIGSWANG

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,110 topic views. 18 members, 81 guests and 146 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.