Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!!
    #4591388 - 08/28/05 05:35 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/12467825.htm

Quote:

Lawmakers want possession charge for drug users

Blood or urine tests could be used to arrest offenders

By DAVID KLEPPER

The Kansas City Star

TOPEKA ? It?s against the law to carry illegal drugs in your pocket, but not in your bloodstream, and some lawmakers in Kansas want to be the first in the nation to change that.

For three years, lawmakers and law enforcement have pushed to make a positive urine or blood test for drugs equivalent to the crime of drug possession. They say it would give police another tool to arrest and prosecute drug offenders. The proposal got yet another discussion at a meeting Wednesday of the Legislature?s Special Judiciary Committee.

?If someone is caught having ingested or injected ? they can be charged with possession,? said Rep. Kathe Decker, a Clay Center Republican who advocates the ?internal possession? proposal. ?It just gives more teeth to law enforcement.?

But the idea presents a host of legal consequences and has earned the opposition of criminal defense attorneys. They worry that people who fail drug tests for employment or school athletics could wind up facing criminal drug charges.

Criminals on probation often must pass regular drug tests ? if the test carries the threat of further criminal charges, then it could violate the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, according to Sen. Phil Journey, a Haysville Republican and a criminal defense attorney.

The proposal, which would be the first of its kind in the U.S., would ?lead to more prison time and more people being prosecuted, not treated,? said Sal Intagliata of the Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

In order to charge someone with ?internal possession? a police officer would have to have probable cause that drugs had been consumed.

Right now, police can charge people with possessing, selling or manufacturing drugs.

Blood and urine tests are routinely used to determine whether a person is guilty of the crime of driving under the influence of drugs. But having illegal drugs in one?s system is not a crime in and of itself.

?If it?s illegal for one, why not for the other?? said Kyle Smith, deputy director of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.

Even if the law is passed, Smith said he doubted the result would be a rash of new drug arrests. He said possession is often seen as a low-priority crime.

?Don?t assume there?s going to be thousands of cases,? he said.

Smith said the proposed law would require authorities to invest in more and better drug testing labs, as most aren?t sophisticated enough to detect small traces of drugs in urine or blood. He also said it would mean more expense for prisons if more people are arrested on drug charges.

Rep. Ann Mah, a Topeka Democrat who sits on the Special Judiciary Committee, said the state should focus its limited resources on addiction treatment programs rather than new ways of prosecuting offenders. The ?internal possession? proposal ?creates criminals out of people who just need treatment.?

If this passes,  I'm fucked. :mad2:

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Edited by 1stimer (08/28/05 05:36 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: 1stimer]
    #4591394 - 08/28/05 05:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

That is ridiculous. That makes you an accomplice to possession if someone smokes around you.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Redstorm]
    #4591400 - 08/28/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I'm just wondering how far we are going to let these fascists push us until we push back.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

Edited by 1stimer (08/28/05 05:39 PM)

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: 1stimer]
    #4591513 - 08/28/05 06:19 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Land of the free, whoever told you that is your enemy!

I expect to see laws like this passing quite a bit in the comming years. Time to get out of this fascist hell hole. Though I doubt that will only solve things temporarily. They are trying to put the whole globe under US controll and doing a fairly good job at it.

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4591607 - 08/28/05 06:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I wonder if they'll start by arresting everyone in Kansas for possession of DMT?

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: moog]
    #4591730 - 08/28/05 07:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I bet that congressmen and state reps don't have to take drug tests.

Isn't the next step just to drug test everyone and lock up everyone who is positive? OK, maybe that isn't the NEXT step, but isn't that a step in that direction?

Quote:

Even if the law is passed, Smith said he doubted the result would be a rash of new drug arrests. He said possession is often seen as a low-priority crime.

This seems to signify how arbitrarily and capriciously our drug laws are enforced. Drug possession is a "low priority crime", yet black men have a much higher chance of getting hit with it. It isn't low priority to them. If they start nailing people who fail drug tests, don?t expect them to nail everyone that fails them or even to test everyone.

If they had to uniformly enforce drug laws there would be more pressure to change the system. I know a CEO?s son who got busted with a bunch of coke. He didn?t go to jail, he went to med school. In the hood things don?t work that way.

I am not saying that the people who write these laws want to keep the black man down, but in reality these laws tend to hit blacks the hardest.

We should make all politicians take these drugs tests first. Then we should test their families. And make the drug tests screen for pain killers and muscle relaxants, and then see if those people have perscriptions and legitimate medical concerns. Lets see if they are fine putting their loved ones into the system.

The whole thing is fucked.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4591752 - 08/28/05 07:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
We should make all politicians take these drugs tests first. Then we should test their families. And make the drug tests screen for pain killers and muscle relaxants, and then see if those people have perscriptions and legitimate medical concerns. Lets see if they are fine putting their loved ones into the system.

amen jesus lol

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Offlinefrostynostrils
Human

Loc: Seattle
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Sycronica]
    #4591804 - 08/28/05 07:45 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You'd think they would have better things to do. It sounds like one of those backup crimes so you can hold people you don't have any evidence on. Like how if they're looking for a murderer they can hold him on a violation because he buried his dog in the backyard without a permit.
This is an example of some fucked up priorities, in my opinion.

--------------------
"Smear the paint till the colors run,
It's nearly time, I'm nearly done
Flaming, orange, open sky!"
- Cherry Poppin' Daddies

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: moog]
    #4591821 - 08/28/05 07:52 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

moog said:
I wonder if they'll start by arresting everyone in Kansas for possession of DMT?

:rofl:

Good lord man.  People who come up with those kinds of laws need to take more drugs.

And then be thrown right back to the wolves who'd test them and arrest them.  That's just a shitty, shitty craptastic idea.

Two  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:'s way down.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4591867 - 08/28/05 08:07 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ahh kansas, suprising this is coming from a red state?? :lol: thats whats funny about all these "conservatives" posting here. this is the kind of shit that will be all over if they keep voting republican....im not talking about libertarians...im talking bush voters, supporters of the neocon agenda

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4591983 - 08/28/05 08:46 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You do realize that many anti-drug bills were passed under the Clinton Administation, right?

Democrats and Republicans are just as bad when it comes to anti-drug legislation.

Jesus: You took the words right out of my mouth. :thumbup:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4592404 - 08/28/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

They would have to legalize it. They can't violate the law against Elf-Incrimination. :rofl:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Redstorm]
    #4592771 - 08/28/05 11:44 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

You do realize that many anti-drug bills were passed under the Clinton Administation, right?

Whos defending clinton here?

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
Slightly Nutty

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4593065 - 08/29/05 12:34 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Well, it is Kansas, after all. When all you have is wheat plants to talk to, pretty soon, the wheat plants start talking back to you.... :crazy2:

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4593091 - 08/29/05 12:37 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
Well, it is Kansas, after all. When all you have is weed plants to talk to, pretty soon, the weed plants start talking back to you.... :crazy2:

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4593203 - 08/29/05 12:53 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
I bet that congressmen and state reps don't have to take drug tests.

Isn't the next step just to drug test everyone and lock up everyone who is positive? OK, maybe that isn't the NEXT step, but isn't that a step in that direction?

Quote:

This seems to signify how arbitrarily and capriciously our drug laws are enforced. Drug possession is a "low priority crime", yet black men have a much higher chance of getting hit with it. It isn't low priority to them. If they start nailing people who fail drug tests, don?t expect them to nail everyone that fails them or even to test everyone.

If they had to uniformly enforce drug laws there would be more pressure to change the system. I know a CEO?s son who got busted with a bunch of coke. He didn?t go to jail, he went to med school. In the hood things don?t work that way.

I am not saying that the people who write these laws want to keep the black man down, but in reality these laws tend to hit blacks the hardest.

The whole thing is fucked.

The war on drugs has been as racist as possible from the very beginning, although it does great harm to whites as well. The original drug laws were passed to persecute Hispanics, blacks, and Chinese, if you don't believe me research the history of the war on drugs.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4593767 - 08/29/05 02:19 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

drug war forum

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4593813 - 08/29/05 02:27 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Perhaps I need to repeat myself, the drug war forum is worthless. It simply exists so we can not discuss the political war on drugs on the political forum.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Re: Lawmakers: Possession Charge For Drugs In Bloodstream !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: LSDempire]
    #4601896 - 08/31/05 02:08 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

There are way too many wars to have a forum for each war america has.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4602567 - 08/31/05 06:40 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

It?s against the law to carry illegal drugs in your pocket, but not in your bloodstream, and some lawmakers in Kansas want to be the first in the nation to change that.

Would this not be self-incrimination? If there are drugs in my urine and I urinate, am I now guilty of "intent to deliver?"

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion