Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Most Liberal City continues Death Spiral
    #4548043 - 08/17/05 08:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Shrinking Detroit has 12,000 abandoned homes Sun Aug 14, 5:03 PM ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050814/ts_afp/uspopulationdetroit_050814210312

DETROIT, United States (AFP) - Rats or lead poisoning. When it comes to the threats from the broken down house next door, Dorothy Bates isn't sure which is worse.

"When it's lightening and thundering you can hear the bricks just falling," the 40-year-old nurse said as she looked at the smashed windows and garbage-strewn porch. "If you call and ask (the city) about it they say they don't have the funds to tear it down."

There are more than 12,000 abandoned homes in the Detroit area, a byproduct of decades of layoffs at the city's auto plants and white flight to the suburbs. And despite scores of attempts by government and civic leaders to set the city straight, the automobile capitol of the world seems trapped in a vicious cycle of urban decay.

Detroit has lost more than half its population since its heyday in the 1950's. The people who remain are mostly black -- 83 percent -- and mostly working class, with 30 percent of the population living below the poverty line according to the US Census Bureau.

The schools are bad. The roads are full of potholes. Crime is high and so are taxes. The city is in a budget crisis so deep it could end up being run by the state.

And it just got knocked off the list of the nation's ten largest cities.

"Detroit has become an icon of what's considered urban decline," said June Thomas, a professor of urban and regional planning at Michigan State University.

"The issue is not just getting people in the city. It's getting people in the city who can become property owners and stay property owners and pay taxes."

Perhaps the biggest challenge to luring the middle class from the area's swank suburbs is overcoming racial tensions, said Stephen Vogel, dean of the school of architecture at University of Detroit Mercy.

"Suburbanites are taking the bodies of their relatives out of cemeteries because they're afraid to come to the city," Vogel said. "There are about 400 to 500 hundred (being moved) a year which shows you the depth of racism and fear."

Most American cities have experienced a shift towards the suburbs.

What made Detroit's experience so stark was the lack of regional planning and the ease with which developments were able to incorporate into new cities in order to avoid sharing their tax revenue with the city, said Margaret Dewar, a professor of urban and regional planning at the University of Michigan.

The fleeing businesses and homeowners left behind about 36 square miles (58 square kilometers) of vacant land. That's roughly the size of San Francisco and about a quarter of Detroit's total land mass.

While a decision by General Motors to build its new headquarters smack in the middle of downtown has helped lure young professionals and spark redevelopment in some of the more desirable neighborhoods, there is little hope the vacant land will be filled any time soon.

In his state of the city address, embattled mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said even if 10,000 new homes were built every year for the next 15 years "we wouldn't fill up our city."

And Detroit is still losing about 10,000 people every year.

One solution Vogel has proposed is to turn swaths of the city into farmland. In the four years since his students initiated a pilot project dozens of community gardens and small farms have popped up.

But first the city has to get rid of the crumbling buildings that haunt the streets, luring criminals, arsonists and wild animals and creating a general sense of hopelessness.

"It's partly a resource issue and it's partly a bureaucracy issue," said Eric Dueweke, the community partnership manager at the University of Michigan's College of Architecture and Urban Planning.

"It takes them forever to find the proper owners of the properties and serve them with the proper paperwork," he said. "They're tearing them down at the rate of 1,500 or 2,000 a year, so they're really not cutting into the backlog in any significant way because that's how many are coming on stream."

Dorothy Bates has been waiting three years for the crumbling house next door to be torn down. There are nine more on her short block along with several vacant lots that are overgrown with weeds.

Bates does her best to keep her five children away from the rat nests, but the lead creeping out of crumbling bricks and peeling paint drifts in through her windows.

The most frustrating part of it, says her neighbor Larry, is that so many of the abandoned houses could be repaired. The foundations are solid. The buildings are beautiful. Or at least, they were once.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Most Liberal City continues Death Spiral [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4548054 - 08/17/05 08:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

DETROIT SCHOOLS COLLECTED $259 MILLION IN ILLEGAL TAXES

MICHIGAN EDUCATION DIGEST

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050814/ts_afp/uspopulationdetroit_050814210312

Detroit - Detroit Public Schools discovered on July 28 that it had collected $259 million in illegal taxes, The Detroit News reported. The district immediately disclosed its error to the state treasurer's office and investors. In a formal statement, DPS Chief Executive Officer William F. Coleman III said that the district recognizes "the need for full disclosure to the public and specifically to the taxpayers of Detroit." A spokesperson for the district said that the tax collection was an "innocent error."

The $259 million were levied through an 18-mill tax on commercial property and rental housing that expired after June 2002, according to Gongwer News Service. To continue receiving the tax, the district would have had to obtain approval from the voters, as it will be seeking this November for future collection. The district told The News that it did not know the reason it had neglected in 2002 to request a renewal of the 18-mill tax.

According to The News, Fitch Ratings, a credit evaluation agency, has said that the district may have to give taxpayers a refund of the $259 million. Despite the fact that this amount may be added to a budget deficit of over $200 million the district was already facing, CEO Coleman stated that the district is not in danger of going bankrupt.

A suit filed against the city and the district that would have required the district to repay the amount collected illegally was thrown out last week by the Michigan Tax Tribunal, suggesting that the schools might be less likely to be ordered to refund the money. A district spokesperson told Gongwer on Friday that though the district is pleased with the tax tribunal judge's action, it is "not out of the woods by any means."

Many Detroit residents were stunned by the news. One parent, Dana Hart, who removed her son from a Detroit elementary school because she was dissatisfied with the district, told The News: "It's somebody's job in the district to be aware of when the millage was up. ... Apparently someone's not keeping track." According to The News, Pam Criss, chairwoman of the Local School and Community Organization of Malcom X Academy, said, "The public has been fooled."

In an editorial last week, the Detroit Free Press recommended that "before the Detroit City Council puts (a new millage levy) on the Nov. 8 ballot, it ought to demand a better explanation of what went wrong ... and a pledge that every alternative to make amends will be explored before a remedial tax is imposed." An editorial in The Detroit News called on the outgoing reform school board to "quickly adopt a payback plan."

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4548063 - 08/17/05 08:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Detroit Teachers Say 'No Contract, No Work'

District Wants To Cut Pay By More Than 11 Percent

http://www.clickondetroit.com/education/4865220/detail.html

DETROIT -- About 750 to 1,000 Detroit teachers gathered outside a middle school to protest that they are without a contract just two weeks before the school year begins, Local 4 reported.

The teachers held signs with sayings such as "No Contract, No Work," "Stop Playing Monopoly With The Money," and "We Asked For Nothing And They Said, 'That's Too Much.'"

The rally took place outside Spain Middle School on Beaubien Street, where a school board meeting was scheduled for 5 p.m.

"We're out here today because we're saying to the district, let's get serious," said Janna Garrison, president of the Detroit Federation of Teachers. "We'll help you with cost savings, but no concessions."

District officials want to cut pay by more than 11 percent, get health care concessions and continue with more layoffs to offset a $230 million deficit, which is the result of declining enrollment, the station reported.

"The fact of the matter is, we don't have it, and so we have to make certain cuts and we really would like for the DFT to walk with us on this," said Lekan Oguntoyambo, a Detroit Public Schools spokesman.

Detroit teachers have been without an agreement since contracts expired on June 30.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4548068 - 08/17/05 08:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"Suburbanites are taking the bodies of their relatives out of cemeteries because they're afraid to come to the city," Vogel said. "There are about 400 to 500 hundred (being moved) a year which shows you the depth of racism and fear."

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4548208 - 08/17/05 09:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Racism?????? I don't think so. Hmmmm let's see do we want to go visit Grandma's crumbs in the semicountry with trees and birds and near to where we live or do we want to drive into MURDER CITY? No wonder it's the most liberal city. They'll die without handouts. Bye.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4548220 - 08/17/05 09:12 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Detroit sounds like such a dump.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Slightly Nutty

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4548262 - 08/17/05 09:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I would think that poor planning had more to do with Detroit's downfall than any sort of political allegience....

Invisiblebukkake
LEFT WING NUT
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Most Liberal City continues Death Spiral [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4548278 - 08/17/05 09:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I always thought Boston was the most liberal city.

I'd say it's also very insensitive to subtly be gleeful that murders, corruption, and other assorted crimes are happening in Detroit because it is the most liberal city.

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4548283 - 08/17/05 09:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I like how you try to imply that detroit is a shit hole because it's liberal. you're so funny.

maybe i should dig up some info on the most racist city...i have a hunch it might be predominatly conservative.

OfflineVex
Stranger
Re: Most Liberal City continues Death Spiral [Re: bukkake]
    #4548300 - 08/17/05 09:25 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Most liberal

Detroit, Michigan

Gary, Indiana

Berkeley, California

Washington, D.C., Dist. of Columbia

Oakland, California

Inglewood, California

Newark, New Jersey

Cambridge, Massachusetts

San Francisco, California

Flint, Michigan

Cleveland, Ohio

Most conservative

Provo, Utah

Lubbock, Texas

Abilene, Texas

Hialeah, Florida

Plano, Texas

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Gilbert, Arizona

Bakersfield, California

Lafayette, Louisiana

Orange, California

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: Most Liberal City continues Death Spiral [Re: Vex]
    #4548315 - 08/17/05 09:27 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yea I'm going to have to go with San Fran as the most liberal.. with DC in a close second

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4548452 - 08/17/05 09:54 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:

Does he mean racism against whites by blacks?

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Most Liberal City continues Death Spiral [Re: BrAiN]
    #4548501 - 08/17/05 10:01 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

There's different definitions of liberal, and I don't think he's using the "socially accepting" definition either.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4551085 - 08/18/05 12:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

how do you classify detroit "the most liberal city" or is that
just another piece of bait for the drones on newsmax to
pique their interest?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4551099 - 08/18/05 12:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The decline of Detroit has nothing to do with liberalism and everything to do with factory and manufacturing jobs being moved away from the city.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Most Liberal City continues Death Spiral [Re: Redstorm]
    #4551180 - 08/18/05 12:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Liberalism follows failure. When you have blown it and need a handout you vote for the person promising the handout. This is not the only source of liberalism but it is a big reason why a certain city will vote liberal. I'm not even trying to impute that Detroit's demise is the fault of the people there. Them staying there is their fault though.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Most Liberal City continues Death Spiral [Re: afoaf]
    #4551475 - 08/18/05 02:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

CNN reported a study that Detriot was the most liberal city in america.

here is the link.

http://www.washtimes.com/upi/20050811-072804-4191r.htm

Detroit found to be most liberal U.S. city

Aug. 11, 2005 at 7:39AM
Detroit is the most liberal U.S. city while Provo, Utah, is the most conservative, a study of voting patterns indicates.
The list was compiled by the Bay Area Center for Voting Research in California through an examination of voting in 237 U.S. cities with populations of more than 100,000.
"Detroit and Provo epitomize America's political, economic and racial polarization," BACVR Director Jason Alderman said in a release Thursday. "As the most conservative city in America, Provo is overwhelmingly white and solidly middle class. This is in stark contrast to Detroit, which is impoverished, black and the most liberal."
Gary, Ind., was found to be the second-most liberal followed by Berkeley, Calif.; Washington; and Oakland, Calif. The group that did the ranking is based in Berkeley, not far from Oakland.
Texas, home to President George Bush, has three of the five most conservative cities, as determined by BACVR, including Lubbock and Abilene in the Nos. 2 and 3 spots and Plano in the fifth spot. Hialeah, Fla., was ranked fourth.
BACVR offered no detailed breakdown of its methodology.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion