Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblewingnutx

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: GazzBut]
    #1762570 - 07/30/03 11:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

would suggest however that the majority of media moguls, those who pay the libbie journalists, may be regarded as Conservative.

I can only tink of 2 offhand, Murdoch and Turner. One is conservative and one is a leftie.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1762597 - 07/30/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Even if the media does lean to the left, they don't lean that far. They are rather moderate for the most part, which is why people watch them. If the media was that much more extreme than the average American, then people would be turned off, ratings would go down, and the networks would fire those people and hire people with more moderate views.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: silversoul7]
    #1762624 - 07/30/03 12:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Everyone thinks that they are moderate. It's a very relative term.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1762644 - 07/30/03 12:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I guess we'll never know.

I think we already know plenty. Can you find me a Murdoch owned media outlet that was outspoken against the invasion of Iraq? That supports the Euro? That is for controls on monopoly media ownership?

Good luck trying.

Yes. Why? Do you think he makes every decision?

Come on Luv, you don't think an editor sits there and goes "I know what, I'll start a campaign against monopoly ownership even tho I know my boss hates it with a passion". How long do you think he'd stay in his job for? You don't get appointed to editor if Murdoch thinks you're a loose cannon.

One man cannot possibly run an empire that size by himself.

He doesn't need to "run everything". You let it be known what you want and people try and conform to it as best they can - they effectively train themselves if they know what's good for them.

However with each step down the ladder the hold weakens and sooner or later your control slips.

Nah, that's bullshit. People furthur down the ladder will be even more insecure and frightened of doing the wrong thing than the people at the top.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1762674 - 07/30/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Even if the media does lean to the left, they don't lean that far

There are towers in Pisa which don't lean as far.

Quote:

They are rather moderate for the most part, which is why people watch them.

You may find them moderate, but I'll bet if you check, you'll find the majority of Americans do not agree.

Quote:

If the media was that much more extreme than the average American, then people would be turned off, ratings would go down

News flash.

Their ratings are dropping.

One of the only news shows to see an increase is......

are you ready.....

here it comes......

crazy like a .......

FOX.

Quote:

and the networks would fire those people and hire people with more moderate views.

Sorry but that would mean admiting they don't share the same views as their audience.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1762692 - 07/30/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

News flash.

Their ratings are dropping.

One of the only news shows to see an increase is......

are you ready.....

here it comes......

crazy like a .......

FOX.

Alright, then. That means that their views were once more in line with American public opinion, but that now public opinion is shifting more to the right.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1762722 - 07/30/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry but that ain't necessarily so.

It could be that people just watched what was offered.

Now, there are alternatives.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1762735 - 07/30/03 12:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

So if no one's watching the "liberal media" anymore, then what are you conservatives complaining about?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1762743 - 07/30/03 12:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
So if no one's watching the "liberal media" anymore, then what are you conservatives complaining about? 

Everything.    :lol:

Seriously, the fact there is still way too much of it. That and it would be nice to get a more balanced view no matter what source your news comes from.

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
    #1762762 - 07/30/03 12:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

...and it would be nice to get a more balanced view no matter what source your news comes from.

Bu therein lies the problem. There are people who think Sean Hannity IS a balanced view. I personally think Fox News is so far to the right that they're about to wrap around to the far left in some sort of Einstein-Rosen accident. CNN sucks. ABC sucks.

I think that a balanced view is something like Salon.com - a left-of-center group who tries extremely hard to present the facts and only editorialize in their editorials. You, however, will find that they lean waaay to the left, and for you, are not balanced at all.

We can argue that point all day, and noone will make an inch of ground, because our perceptions of the issues are from different angles.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1762768 - 07/30/03 12:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

We can argue that point all day, and noone will make an inch of ground, because our perceptions of the issues are from different angles.

Yes but since I'm me, I'm always right.    :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1762770 - 07/30/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Yes but since I'm me, I'm always right.    :wink: 

Spoken like a true conservative.

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

#1762773 - 07/30/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1762774 - 07/30/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Actually no, spoken like the Omnipotent Ruler I'm destined to be!

:evil:

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

#1762786 - 07/30/03 12:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1762788 - 07/30/03 12:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #1762852 - 07/30/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The article you quote gives 3 statistics. A survey 11 years ago of Washington based media indicates...

The source of the article is President of an organization that states "The Media Research Center regularly documents the national media's ongoing liberal bias". Sounds like a man on a mission. Since there are others who claim that there is bias in the other direction, I'd rather hear from a source not dedicated to proving a position to begin with.

If I want to know about media bias, shouldn't the study focus on the actual published stories themselves? It would be much more useful to see a study based on some sort of objective measure attempt to determine a relative bias in the selection and content of stories in the media, and see comparisons with one news source versus another. I'd be a lot more interested in the results of that study than a survey of people.

Unfortunately, this article doesn't even attempt to look at the actual stories in terms of selection or content.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1762857 - 07/30/03 01:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

If I want to know about media bias, shouldn't the study focus on the actual published stories themselves? It would be much more useful to see a study based on some sort of objective measure attempt to determine a relative bias in the selection and content of stories in the media, and see comparisons with one news source versus another. I'd be a lot more interested in the results of that study than a survey of people.

Exactly. If you're looking for media bias, look at the stories they report, not at who's reporting them.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1762859 - 07/30/03 01:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

They're out there. All you need to do is look.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1762867 - 07/30/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Exactly. If you're looking for media bias, look at the stories they report, not at who's reporting them.

Perhaps you and toxic didn't really read the article.

It is about the make-up of the media and how it possibly affects the stories, not the stories themselves.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder