Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Finally finished my glovebox!
    #4537664 - 08/15/05 01:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Whew, thanks to some help from the shroomery with my epoxy problem I was able to finish my glovebox. I had a few design issues and fuxors but this was meant primarily to be a prototype. There are a few things I would do differently if I had to rebuild it but honestly I'll make the next one out of 100% plexi and forgo the wood and finish issues. I'm not sure how it works yet because I'm in the process of moving accross the country. Unfortunately I'm not going to get to use it for a few months until I get settled.

The air flow coming out of the arm holes is definitely enough to bend a flame but I'm afraid I might have to get a better fan system down the road... I dunno. We'll see.

The specs: Positive pressure with double door, locking, sealed, staging/sterilizing chamber.

Construction - plywood and plexi
Finish - Epoxy polyester (transparent blue)
Fans/Air flow - 2x Rotron 100 cfm muffin fans (200cfm) with prefilters on the intake.
Filter - 1x Honeywell HEPA filter

After the epoxy finish was applied I siliconed all of the seams.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (08/15/05 01:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: Finally finished my glovebox! [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4537787 - 08/15/05 02:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

looks great dude but i think if you put got some gloves and ring clamps to mount to the arm holes it would be much better and you wont have the draft prob. :smile:

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Finally finished my glovebox! [Re: kingfish4200]
    #4537803 - 08/15/05 02:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I would not seal gloves in there..forget your worries..you do not want a hurricane, just steady pressure. You shouldnt feel a breeze..your trying to keep things out that are so small, you couldnt see dozens of them together..a slight breeze is plenty. Looks very nice! Glad you got the resin problem solved :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#4537806 - 08/15/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hehehe, was that a joke? I can't see if you're laughing.  :crazy2:

It's a positive pressure box.  The whole idea behind it is that the HEPA filtered air creates air pressure inside the box and the air blows through the arm holes as you work and prevents contams from going into the box.  This was meant to be a combination flow hood and glove box.  You still wear gloves with it but it allows for more range of motion than a regular glovebox since the gloves arent tied down.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4537817 - 08/15/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ooh shit i didn't know that..lol sorry :frown:
maybe i should know what im talking about before i open my mouth..lol

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#4537823 - 08/15/05 02:29 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks Scatman. This thing was a MAJOR pain of a project but it was good in the sense that I learned what not to do.

I'm glad to hear that I don't need a lot of pressure. I was concerned that not enough air was making it through the HEPA. It makes sense that I don't want too much air because I don't want my spores blowing about inside the box. The air coming out of the arm holes, with my arms inside, is almost enough to blow out a lighter. Although with the lighter inside the box the air barely moves the flame. With these muffin fans a lot of air is reflected out the back.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4537839 - 08/15/05 02:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

so what would you say the cost of the whole thing was after compleation? I would like to build one myself but i dont know if I might have the money to do a posative flow.

--------------------

-- Ken Kesey

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#4537896 - 08/15/05 02:51 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The cost breakdown was a bit hefty.  Even more than I originally guessed.  I got the fans off ebay (new) and got a good deal at $10 each but they are normally 20-25 each. The wood was scrap from a cabinet shop that a friend of mine works in.  That said, the final breakdown was such:

Fans: $20+
Hardware: (Hinges, knobs, brackets, latches, foam tape, screws) $50
Plexi: (1/4" scraps) $10
Finish: Bar epoxy + tint: $50 (2 quarts)
Arm grommets: PVC pipe fittings $15
Silicone: $3
Wood: (If I had purchased it) $20 1 4x8 sheet of 1/2" baltic birch.
Filter (edit): $13
Time...Don't even ask...

All said...about $170 with a few stray items I may have forgotten.  You could build the whole thing from plexi for about the same  cost and put in significantly less time though; but you wouldn't have the cool psychedelic blue finish. :wink:  Actually,  for about the same cost (around $250) you could build a laminar flow hood.  I guess it all depends on what you want.  I wanted the combo unit and the experience building it.  The process felt very alchemical to me.  I think the biggest draw for this design was the staging chamber.  I can put something in, latch the doors, sterilize it and pull it through. I'm guessing this will cut down on contams big time but then again a dead air glove box is pretty sufficient as is... Oh well, it was a fun project, at times, regardless.  I'm just hoping it works as well as I think it will, lol.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (08/15/05 03:16 PM)

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
    #4537929 - 08/15/05 03:00 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

shit looks amazing man.
when your done with it ill buy it !!! lol.

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

OfflineICU812
Stranger
Re: Finally finished my glovebox! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4537991 - 08/15/05 03:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Scatman,
In your honest opinion what is better, a positive pressure glove box or a still air?
what works better, a positive pressure glovebox , a still air glove box, or third yet, a well scrubbed bathroom with no air flow?
Users may choose only one (3 total votes)
a positive pressure glove box,
-
1 33%
a still air glovebox
-
2 67%
a well scrubbed bathroom with all ventilation stopped
-
0 0%
Votes accepted from (08/15/05 02:00 PM) to (08/16/05 03:08 PM)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Finally finished my glovebox! [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #4537993 - 08/15/05 03:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks! It's done...not for sale though. Although, when the bugs are worked out I'll move on to a more efficient design and I might start producing them. It all depends on the cost of production, how well I can streamline the process, how well it works, etc... you know the drill.

The only other thing I'll add later on (Pris recommended this) is an injection port in the staging chamber for disinfectants and aerosols. I could use a misty mate to spray alcohol, bleach, peroxide, whatever...to disinfect things before they are pulled into the main box.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Finally finished my glovebox! [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #4538000 - 08/15/05 03:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Wheres the filter (not listed in peices)?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Finally finished my glovebox! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4538020 - 08/15/05 03:13 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yeah...I had the filter at home, so I bought it a long time ago, but the filter was about $13 a year ago.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4538158 - 08/15/05 03:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

If that thing works as good as it looks, you should have no problems with it. Nice work dude!

--------------------

InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
Re: Finally finished my glovebox! [Re: FooMan]
    #4538292 - 08/15/05 04:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup:

:bongload:

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, The Doors

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation