Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Brainstorming and advice on glovebox design
    #4404086 - 07/14/05 02:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I know there's another glovebox thread but I didn't want to hijack it with specifics about my own.

This is my glovebox. It's made of 1/2" baltic birch with 1/4" plexi windows on the front and top for visibility. Prisoner already gave me some good advice regarding what finish to use but I'm kind of stuck on whether to make it positive or negative pressure. I definitely want simplicity, economy and conservation of time and money. As for the arm/glove-holes they are marked for cutting and I'll use the same system Hippie Chick used on hers. After I seal the inside with epoxy paint I'll silicone the interior joints. The attached box on the left is a double door staging chamber where things pass through and can be sterilized (using lysol, bleach or otherwise) before entering the glove box.

1. Any remarks on neg/pos pressure and thoughts on why it should be one over the other?

I'm thinking of using NIOSH mask filters and making it a neg pressure box utilizing the same glove system hippie uses. This seems the most simple as it only requires attaching the mask filters via a small hole and a blower/fan to suck air out of the box...althogh, what kind of "blower" sucks air as apposed to blowing air? Don't they usually all blow through the vent that attaches to the chassis? Are blowers reversable?

My other idea is to make it a pos pressure box using a small HEPA filter, blower and arm ports where the gloves are not attached and the air escapes around the inserted arms. This allows for the most hand freedom but my hesitation with this is that I'm not sure how to attach the blower/filter assembly without adding another plywood box making this thing almost too heavy to lift. Not to mention my access to a shop has become limited of late.

Basically, I've already put a lot of time into this and I don't want to F*ck it up. I also have no experience with blower motors and filters so I feel the need for a little hand holding in this regard. I want to do this right and make it as effective as I possibly can for all applications regaring mushrooms and cultures, etc...

I appreciate any ideas you experienced folks might have.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (07/14/05 03:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Brainstorming and advice on glovebox design [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4404234 - 07/14/05 03:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mobius_Strip said:
1. Any remarks on neg/pos pressure and thoughts on why it should be one over the other?

based on your design, I recomend a positive pressure box, that way you dont pull
spores in through the pass through, take an extra step and plug a misty mate
nozzle through a 1/4 inch hole the thing and you can spray a disinfectant before
you bring supplys into the glove box, be generous with silicone

tips for the epoxy, dont use any silicone before you apply the epoxy, you'll
have problems with the epoxy bonding, remove anything that may need to be
replaced like plexiglass or filters, hinges as well. Get a couple of plastic
bondo spreaders and mix about a pint of epoxy (buy one with a 3 minute set
time), pour it in most accessible opening and spread it every where inside the
boxes, flip it around how ever you need to to make sure the stuff is one
monolithic skin, and work it in those corners with the bondo spreaders. coat
everything inside and out and you'll never have to worry about a contam.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Brainstorming and advice on glovebox design [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4404421 - 07/14/05 03:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Are you talking about bonding epoxy, like glue, or epoxy finish like polyester coatings for boats? Is this a Homme' Depot item?

Spores...good point! I didn't think about spores being sucked out of the box. However, if the spores are capable of being sucked out then couldn't they also be blown out through pos pressure? Does a flow hood blow spores around?

Misty Mate? After looking it up I see that a misty mate is a personal cooling device (uses a water mist)... I'm assuming I would buy the whole system, drill a hole in the pass through and insert the nozzle into the hole to spray inside the staging chamber. What kind of disinfectant can I pump through the misty mate besides alcohol, peroxide maybe? Won't alcohol and most disinfectants degrade and destroy the plastics and rubber seals that the misty mate is made of?

Also, any ideas on how to attach a blower motor and filter without adding another plywood box? What kind of CFM do I need for a glove box? I'm assuming a shaded pole blower will work...

Thanks.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (07/14/05 03:42 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4404452 - 07/14/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mobius_Strip said:
Spores...good point! I didn't think about spores being sucked out of the box

sucked into the box, mold spores and the like, with a negative pressure box
it'll draw in air each time you open the doors if it's running, positive
pressure will blow things out but mushroom spores are heavy enough and usualy
clumped together so they arent a big worry, it little spores in the air, things
like green mold

Quote:

Misty Mate? After looking it up I see that a misty mate is a personal cooling device (uses a water mist)...

yes

Quote:

Also, any ideas on how to attach a blower motor and filter without adding another plywood box? What kind of CFM do I need for a glove box? I'm assuming a shaded pole blower will work...

buy one with a flange, cut a hole for a filter and the blower and bolt it on the side, you dont need much velocity, 60-100 cfm it sufficient

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#4404468 - 07/14/05 03:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh, ok, I was thinking about the wrong spores, I get it! Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Point taken. Positive pressure it shall be.
Thanks.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4404494 - 07/14/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mobius_Strip said:
Are you talking about bonding epoxy, like glue, or epoxy finish like polyester coatings for boats? Is this a Homme' Depot item?

yes to both, look for top coatings for concrete, you may have to call around but home depot should carry it, you need something abrasion and chemical ersistant, concrete epoxies should work... I like clear because it shows off the work
an it usualy has a longer working time

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#4404517 - 07/14/05 03:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"buy one with a flange, cut a hole for a filter and the blower and bolt it on the side"

Forgive me if I seem dense but I'm not following... I understand the part about buying a blower with a flange but in order to bolt the motor to the side of the box I need to make the hole smaller than the flange, correct?

So, where does the filter come in? I'm having a hard time visualizing this part.

Are you recommending that I attach the filter on the inside of the glove box covering the blower hole?

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4404989 - 07/14/05 06:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mobius_Strip said:
So, where does the filter come in? I'm having a hard time visualizing this part.

you can use it as a push through or pull through filter, pushing would probably be
better in your application, and since I dont know the specs of anything you have
or will buy, I cant really do much for installation, since you built that I'm sure
you could adapt something of this nature with a little silicone/weather stripping
to work with your setup

I'd use a pre filter one th blowers intake and the hepa on the output

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#4405169 - 07/14/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Cool,
Full of good suggestions, as usual.
Hopefully I'll have this thing done by next week.
Thanks again for your help pris, mucho appreciatto.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4405365 - 07/14/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

no sweat bro, it's the whole reason I'm here, to share my experiences with you so you dont end up wasting time, money and resources to excell in this hobby

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder