Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineICU812
Stranger
2 questions, 1 on ratio of contamination and the other is the need to flame a brand new needle?
    #4517416 - 08/10/05 10:48 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Greetings,
My first question is this. I Think I seem to be getting an awful lot of contaminated jars of rye that I innocculated with spores. So far out of 20 jars I have 6 that have gotten cobweb mold on them before any have finished colonizing.
I am working in a bathroom that has been scrubbed down with Lysol, and have also used Oust in the air prior to doing my work. There is no towels or any other fabrics in the room.
I used the needles that came on the syringes of spores that I purchased from a shroomery vendor. I flamed them before innoculatin.
Is the need for a flowhood THAT great, or am I doing something wrong?
My second question is much shorter,
I recently purchased a bulk amount of new individually sealed sterile needles, I also purchased syringes in the same condition. Do I need to flame a brand new needle if I Use it as soon as it is removed from it's safety wrappers :confused:?

Edited by ICU812 (08/10/05 10:49 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

Re: 2 questions, 1 on ratio of contamination and the other is the need to flame a brand new needle? [Re: ICU812]
    #4517462 - 08/10/05 11:13 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I shoot up jars in a poor-man's home-made glovebox, and I rarely have any problems.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: 2 questions, 1 on ratio of contamination and the other is the need to flame a brand new needle? [Re: ICU812]
    #4517463 - 08/10/05 11:13 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Are you inoculating through the lid, or with the lid off? How long are you pc'ing the jars of rye? What size jars? Do you have a gloove box?

And no. Needles are sterile right out of the packaging from the manufacturer. There's no need to flame, but it won't kill ya either.

Edited by hotnutz (08/10/05 11:14 AM)

OfflineICU812
Stranger
Re: 2 questions, 1 on ratio of contamination and the other is the need to flame a brand new needle? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4517596 - 08/10/05 11:50 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I am innocculating through a tyvek filter that replaces the disc in a quart sized canning jar. I am PC'ing them for 1 hour @ 15 psi.
I have done all this before in the past with success and am not doing anything different and am not sure why I am having such a problem!
I do not have a glove box. I know how to build one, but am having trouble finding a fan that is for 120 volt and not DC.
I am thinking that I might just have to get a flowhood. I saw them for $500, that's not too much more than it would cost me to build one, and it's probly nicer than the one I could build. So I'm thinking that maybe that is the answer to my problems.
Gotta be another way it seems!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4517705 - 08/10/05 12:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

IME, 60 minutes gets me to many contaminations, I upped my PC time to 90 minutes and its been much better. I do all my work in a cleaned out bathroom, and your not doing something right. Remember, immediatly put a bandaid over the hole after you inoculate. Are you wiping the tyvek before injecting? And the needle? And then injecting through the alcohol wipe and pulling it out back into the wipe? Flaming the needle isnt important, and it should only be done once when you get a new syringe from someone, new needles from syringes you make yourself dont need to be flamed either. EVERY inoculation point should wiped with alcohol as well as the needle, every time you inject though.

A flowhood is definatly NOT needed, a still air glove box would do you just as well. But a clean bathroom will do you just as wel as that, as long as you follow all other sterle procedures. Remember it works because the air in the bathroom isnt being stirred up so hopfully all fans and a/c units are off and you arent moving around much during inoculations. And a flowhood could be built or had for 250-300 bucks..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinePinx
Stranger
Re: 2 questions, 1 on ratio of contamination and the other is the need to flame a brand new needle? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4517804 - 08/10/05 12:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I agree 60 minutes is too short, i had the same problem with green mold wich survived the PC....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation