Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFrappy
Strange

Loc: South Florida
Yopo Cultivation
    #4502782 - 08/06/05 01:42 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Does anyone have any info on Yopo cultivation? I've checked erowid and googled around for a while but haven't come up with much useful info. Is there anything more i need to know besides "put in dirt, sun, water"? I live in south florida which seems somewhat compatible with the areas yopo is found naturally, so I'm hoping it won't be much of a difficulty. Also, how long are seeds viable? I received them from a shroomery vendor maybe 6 months ago.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Yopo Cultivation [Re: Frappy]
    #4506858 - 08/07/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Check out my growlog: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...841#Post4471521

Research pea innoculant.  As far as the seed viabilty, plant them anyway, you'll probably get lucky, good luck!

:rasta:,

mycomancer

Edited by Mycomancer (08/07/05 02:01 PM)

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Yopo Cultivation [Re: Mycomancer]
    #4509540 - 08/08/05 03:02 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i tried this a wile ago and the only info i could find was this:
http://www.plot55.com/growing/a.colubrina.html

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Yopo Cultivation [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4509559 - 08/08/05 03:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've currently got a medium sized year and a half old peregrina that I simply germinated using the wet paper towel method and then planted in a pot. I used the pea and bean innoculant method and re-inoculated a few times (though this is probably unnecissary). I feel like it would be fairly easy to over water, and seldom water it, although it's outside in full sun and get's water when it rains. I have since fertilized it with bone meal and fish emulsions, as well as adding some limestone, but on the whole it's rather low maintanence. It did go into shock when I repotted it last fall into a bigger pot and didn't resume growing until the spring, which would have also been a seasonal thing, althought it seldom gets very cold around here. It's probably about three feet tall right now.

If you're not familiar with pea innoculant, essentially you just plant a pea or a bean (or a few) in the pot with the yopo plant and when the pea or bean has a leaf or two on it you cut it at it's bass and throw it away (the pea or bean seedling, not the yopo). Simple.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Yopo Cultivation [Re: Hooty]
    #4510379 - 08/08/05 12:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Mine is about 2 1/2 years old. It grows but has not flowered. I'm not sure they will flower here or set seed.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineChemical_Bliss
Officer of thelaw...
Re: Yopo Cultivation [Re: Stonehenge]
    #4511834 - 08/08/05 08:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Germination.

Anadenanthera speices germinate very easily if fresh seeds are available. Seeds can be germinated between two moistened paper towels (I have had germination start in as little as 45 minutes with this method), or they can be planted directly in the dirt. If they are to be planted in dirt they should be planted sticking straight up so that the tap root has little trouble going directly into the soil. The taproot should take about 3 days to start to emerge, and the little plantlet should be fully erect in 8-14 days.

Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria.

Anadenantheras are legumes, related to peas and such. Legumes need nitrogen fixing bacteria to survive, if your soil is lacking this then the plants will quikly drop their leaves and die after 2 weeks or so. There are a few ways to get around this problem. The first is to go to your local garden center and buy pea innoculant, follow directions on bottle and your good to go. The second way is what I use, buy pea seeds and plant them. Wait until plants are about an inch high and clip them off at the soil line, leaving the roots in there, then plant your legumes. Another way I have been experimenting with is taking dirt from outside and mixing 1 part to 3 parts potting soil, I havent used this method for Anadenantheras but it works fine for Mimosas and Acacias so I believe it will work for these guys as well.

Watering.

I have heard it said anadenantheras can be suscpetiable to mold and damping off when they are young, I have not found this to be true, I water mine regularly and thoroughly. As soon as the surface of the soil is looking a little dry, they should be watered. Signs of not enough water are, wilting, yellowing of the leaves, and eventually dropping the leaves.

Lighting.

I give mine full sun. When I first started growing these I could find little on lighting so I just looked at their habitat, they grow in plains so it makes sense that they would like full sun. Mine respond fine to this, I have heard that other have not seen the results I have from full sun. Put them in full sun and keep a close eye on them, if they look sad then cut back the sun a bit.

Harvesting.

I have yet to get an anadenanthera to seeding size, I would imagine it would take nothing less then 3 years and probably closer to 5. If anyone can shed any light on this matter email me at...badomen8361@al.com.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
'divine moments of truth, total and utter cosmic stuff...'
'be here now... i love everybody'

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Re: Yopo Cultivation [Re: Chemical_Bliss]
    #4516886 - 08/10/05 01:13 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thats some excellent info, thanks!

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Yopo Cultivation [Re: Frappy]
    #4517616 - 08/10/05 09:56 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I had great luck with a Peregrina. I merely placed the seeds in soil and watered and up came the sprouts. The first stage of the plant lasted two years were it remained under a foot. Then wham, it shot up and is now six feet or more and having many side sprouts. It also survived outdoors all through winter and summer, that is, full frost and full light. It's pretty hardy. The first year or two they establish roots, so most of their energy is going there. Be patient with them.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineChemical_Bliss
Officer of thelaw...
Re: Yopo Cultivation [Re: eve69]
    #4519405 - 08/10/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Any flowers or seeds eve? And np frappy...I wish I could offer you as detailed a guide as you did for kratom...on a sad note I never got my plant :frown:. You wouldnt happen to ahve one big enough to cut would you? I know its difficult to root them but I would love to try...

--------------------
'divine moments of truth, total and utter cosmic stuff...'
'be here now... i love everybody'

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #4519491 - 08/10/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No seeds yet. Will take a pic when they come.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineFrappy
Strange

#4523202 - 08/11/05 05:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chemical_Bliss said:
And np frappy...I wish I could offer you as detailed a guide as you did for kratom...on a sad note I never got my plant :frown:. You wouldnt happen to ahve one big enough to cut would you? I know its difficult to root them but I would love to try...

Thanks for the kind words..  I haven't experimented with cuttings yet, but the time is comming soon. I posted pictures of my kratom plant a few weeks, maybe a month ago.  It has gotten bigger since then.  If you have any info on making cuttings and getting them rooted, let me know.  I'll PM you when i've got some ready.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale