Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Help my poor yopo...
    #2771755 - 06/07/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

In advance I'd like to say I'm sorry for the length of this post, I know many of you like myself have short attention spands, but I really do need help with this plant and I'd be grateful if you'd suffer through it's length.

Ok I've got a small yopo seedling. I can't remember if it's a peregrina or colubrina but I'm thinking peregrina. I have the packet of seeds that has the species on it, but I'm in the process of moving and the seeds are at the new house. So here's the problem. The seedling is probably a few month old. It's got probably 5 leaves (by leaves I'm refering to the entire leaf structure since the leaves of this things are like stems with smaller leaflettes attached) Now about a month ago I noticed that the first leaf (first as in oldest) was losing leaflettes. They would turn slightly brown and fall. It worried me but the other leaves (probably 2 more at the time) looked fine. Now I have about five leaves and although the first leave still has a few unhealthy looking leaflettes, I've noticed that two more older leaves have started losing their leaflettes as well. I don't know what the problem is, this doesn't seem normal to me and if it progresses the rate of leaflette loss will surpass the rate of new growth (which is somewhat slow right now) and kill it. Now I have planted several peas and beans in the soil during the trees lifetime to try and infuse some nitrogen fixing bacteria, but as of yet I have seen no growth spirt. I transplanted the plant to a bigger pot about two weeks ago too, but I don't think this has anyhting to to with the losing of leaflettes as it happened before the transplant also and because I have sprouted more beans and peas in the pot since then.

Also when it first started happening was right after I started putting it outside some. Before I had it in a south facing window. I thought maybe it was some sort of sunburn from the increase in direct sunlight. Now I have it outside all the time but it gets very little direct sunlight, mostly shade, but right now (As in during this part of the day) it's in direct sunlight and the youngest leaf is closed up (as they do at night only it's the day) which leads me to believe that maybe it does have somethign to do with the sun...

Any ideas?

Sorry if this is somewhat incoherent and I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, I don't have a digital camera.

Thanks a lot. Peace and Much Love.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Help my poor yopo... [Re: Hooty]
    #2771776 - 06/07/04 03:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Another thing I forgot to mention, and I'm not sure how much relevance it hold but oh well, when I planted the germinated seed I think I may have planted it somewhat too deep, the cotydilon (sp?) never broke the surface, the first real leaf was the first thing to show above ground. I still don't think this would have anything to do with it's current situation, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2771810 - 06/07/04 03:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

you have lots of seeds. if this one die.
i have a couple columbrinas cebil 1yr old in my backyard...
my experience is the following:
peregrina - very easy to sprout but very hard to keep (i live way south of it's range, might be the climate), they hardly survive even with peas (i am yet to have a couple peregrinas growing);
columbrina var. cebil - very easy to sprout too and doesn't seems to need peas to survive, better suited for subtropical or perhaps even colder climates.

play with your common sense - if you feel you're giving too much sun or shade to your plant (they like it rather sunny), i'd bet this is the issue (don't leave it with your cacti, that's too much sun).
hope it helps a bit...

FH

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
    #2773970 - 06/08/04 07:57 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I had exactly the same problem, my seedling started to have the bottom leaves "burning" and falling down... I tried everything possible, but nothing to do, eventually all the leaves fell off, and I considered it dead... It stayed in his pot all winter with no watering (inside though), and surprise this spring, it started to regrow... I repotted about a month ago, and it's doing splendid now.... That's all a can tell you, and didn't understand or solve the problem...

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Help my poor yopo... [Re: psylo33o]
    #2774536 - 06/08/04 01:34 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

have you had the problem reoccur since it started to regrow?

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
    #2777054 - 06/09/04 06:28 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I though it had started again a few weeks ago, but only a few tiny leavs (not a whole pattern) started to get brown and it stoped... since then, evrything's fine, it's actually growing faster then before...

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Help my poor yopo... [Re: psylo33o]
    #2780806 - 06/10/04 11:02 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well that gives me some hope...i think mine has actually slowed on losing leaves, but hasn't sped up growing at all...it's been raining a lot here, and the soil in the pot (which was outside) was really wet so I move it into a chair in more direct light out from under the over hang it was under so that it would dry out a little faster (I've read these guys really hate being waterlogged) and left it there then later that day it began to rain again and I didn't realize it and instead of it being under the over hang it was right where the water comes off the roof (no gutters). So the splashing displaced all the top soil. Luckily I got to it in time, poored all the standing water in the pot out and now it's doing alright. The barage of rain didn't cause any more leaflettes to fall though so that was encouraging and I just moved it down to the new house last night and it seems to be doing alright.

--------------------

It will never come true

Edited by Hooty (06/10/04 11:05 AM)

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#2784516 - 06/11/04 12:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well my moms fucking dog which is staying here right now fucking damn near demolished my yopo..I woke up this morning went outside and found a big whole in the pot and most of the roots exposed with lots of leaflettes gone. I hate that fucking dog, but everytime the come here they bring it, it fucks up everything man....over the years it's turned over more plants than I care to count...man I just really needed to vent...I filled in the whole and recovered all the exposed root and I'm going to see if it'll make it, but man that plant was so fragile as it is.....god damned dog....

--------------------

It will never come true

Edited by Hooty (06/11/04 12:39 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden