Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineEuphoria
watch theweatherchange...

Say it isn't so: Allergic to Beer?
    #4480768 - 08/01/05 12:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So I've noticed of late that I might be allergic to beer. Let's say I go out for a pint or a few drinks, it seems that within an hour to two hours, my face and sinuses become very congested, and also my asthma can begin to act up (light weezing in the chest). Anyone else experience this or know someone who has experienced it?

I read up on it and it seems that people with certain mould allergies (such as myself) can be allergic to beer based on its ingredients (hopps, barley, etc..)

I have to do some trials I think, such as having a beer at home and staying relaxed to see if the same results occur.

Anyone have any experience with a suspected beer allergy?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: Say it isn't so: Allergic to Beer? [Re: Euphoria]
    #4480904 - 08/01/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, beer indeed contains mold due to the fermentation process. Same with wine. Do you get the same effects from wine? I'm also wondering if you're allergic to fungus as well such as mushrooms?

OfflineEuphoria

Re: Say it isn't so: Allergic to Beer? [Re: moog]
    #4480965 - 08/01/05 01:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hi moog, thanks for replying.

I'm not much of a whine drinker so I can't comment on that, but I know that I am not allergic to mushrooms, psychedelic or otherwise.

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#4480989 - 08/01/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

my niece is Allergic to beer, and anyhing with grain. that would suck.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Say it isn't so: Allergic to Beer? [Re: rod]
    #4481075 - 08/01/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

omg might as well shoot me

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

InvisiblePsychoChipmunk
Small, Furry, Disturbed

Loc: A hole in your back yard
Re: Say it isn't so: Allergic to Beer? [Re: Vulture]
    #4482187 - 08/01/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm allergic to something in american whiskeys. I can drink scotch and irish whiskey with no problem (hangover aside...)

Give me a couple shots of seagrams 7 or jack and I end up with a crazy rash all over my face, shoulders and the outer sides of my arms and hands. Also puts my pulse up around 120bpm and my breathing gets a bit labored.

The must just be something in the americans' mash, or that the process used to cure ingredients in other whiskeys (peat smoking for instance with scotch) negates whatever it is thats spurring my reaction.

Go figure. Needless to say, only rum in my coke.

--------------------
\m/

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#4482210 - 08/01/05 06:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

unfortunately i'm an asian with that whole 1 out of every 5 asians are allergic to alcohol due to not being able to break down something or other cause we lack an enzyme in our saliva to do it.

i turn red, get itchy on my arms, it becomes difficult for me to breathe....BUT i still drink despite having these symptoms. all i have to do is pace myself...after drinking half a pint i start to feel the effects, wait for it to go away within 15 mins and then start drinking again.

InvisiblePsychoChipmunk
Small, Furry, Disturbed

Loc: A hole in your back yard
Re: Say it isn't so: Allergic to Beer? [Re: boO]
    #4482650 - 08/01/05 08:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Lacking alcohol dehydrogenase perhaps?

--------------------
\m/

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#4484729 - 08/02/05 09:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

it sounds like you might have what i have ... celiac disease ...

celiacs can be allergic to different grains, but more often than not, as in my case, you are allergic to all aspects of wheat, even sometimes wheat alternatives like spelt ...

such is the cause of more than 75% of the illness i go through every day ... you lose serious weight and can almost never seem to regain any when you are forced to stop having wheat, gluten, yeast and flour ... there are indeed alternatives i have sometimes, but my diet is so expensive ... who would have ever thought it would cost more to eat natural food from the earth than food with chemically synthesized and addictive chemicals?

i am quite upset about my findings with no longer being able to drink beer, as well ... i was always a big fan of only the best beers, and now i can look forward to the most terrible few days of my life after just a few beers for a nice relaxing evening ... really rough ... even beers like Stella Artois which do not contain wheat, barley or malt liquor seem to hurt me, but that's probably because my crohn's doesn't 'allow' alcohol of any form ...

it feels unnatural to be natural, this society is completely screwed up ...

but hang in there, it may hurt to not eat the same foods as everybody else but you will be healthier and happier in the end ... it also takes a long time to detox your body completely of all the grains and toxins you've been putting in it since day 1 ... namely, every food you have ever bought from the supermarket .. so don't get overly frustrated if it doesn't start making you feel better soon

the best thing would be to see a doctor first, who can give you a celiac blood test and confirm it or not ... if not, it must be something else ... really, it depends how you feel in general after a meal of bread and so on ..

OfflineEuphoria

Re: Say it isn't so: Allergic to Beer? [Re: HB]
    #4484895 - 08/02/05 10:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

HB - my mother has celiac disease, as did my grandmother. I don't think that is my specific problem, since I have no problems eating grains, breads, pastas, etc...

I hear you though, seeing what my mother went through and has to go through every day - it can be very trying but also rewarding in the same hand!

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #4487853 - 08/02/05 11:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

a friend of mine is allergic to yeast or somthing in beer.... she cannot drink it

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineSkinnymofo
lalala
Loc: Seattle
Re: Say it isn't so: Allergic to Beer? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4491017 - 08/03/05 05:25 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

my nose gets a little stuffy when i drink alcohol.
its something i noticed just a couple of months ago. usually just plucking out a booger on each side fixes the problem .

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale