Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethekeeper
not a grower
 User Gallery

Loc: a country where it is leg...
24 hr light question for pros
    #4480459 - 08/01/05 12:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I haven't read anything about this, and I am wondering if maybe someone can answer my question.

I gave my friend 4 PF cakes in jars, ready to be placed in his terrarium. He is using perlite for humidification, and his readings are at 99% humidity and a temp range from 76.6-78.5 F.
I didn't hear from him for a while, so I figured everything went well. He called me last night to tell me that his cakes has started pinning, but all the pins stopped, and haven't gotten any bigger. So I asked him if his H, and Temp were in the right perimeters. He said they were, so I asked him what kind of lighting cycle he was using. He said "Cycle? I just leave my UV light on em 24 hrs/day".

My question is, would that have anything to do with photosynthesis? Like, did the cakes over photosynthesize(sp?) and go to a dormant state? Are the cakes still good if he switches to a 12/12?

I really appreciate any help.

--------------------
everything i said above is fictional....i don't grow illegal mushrooms!

Casing 101

Poor Man s Mycelium Syringe Tek

'-.Always use Oust to sterilize your air.-'

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: 24 hr light question for pros [Re: thekeeper]
    #4480485 - 08/01/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well u dont want a UV light to start with, causes mutants and irregular growin results from what i have read.
I dont think a 24hr period would be the best either, not sure how it would effect it exactly but u want to try and match nature as much as possible, i could have caused the pinin stage to stall without a dark period but the more experienced might be able to confirm this.

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

InvisibleZiggen
Two Chewbaccas
Male User Gallery

Loc: Parts Unknown
    #4481215 - 08/01/05 04:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

My question is, would that have anything to do with photosynthesis?

Wrong kingdom my friend. This is fungus, not plants. There is no photosynthesis. From what I've read your friend wnts to leave a flourescent bulb about 12 hours on twelve hours off.

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

Loc: east coast
Re: 24 hr light question for pros [Re: Ziggen]
    #4481234 - 08/01/05 04:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i have a cat named ziggens  :grin:

--------------------

"..the thing is, people are getting hurt and the one thing the meteor shower didn't grace this town with was a superhero. So, in his absense, you're left with me. One girl, on a mission, determined to leave no rock - especially those from outerspace - unturned. My name is Chloe Sullivan, and I'm here to bring you the truth."

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4481266 - 08/01/05 04:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Fungi don't photosynthesize, only green things do. Leaving the lights on for 24 hours isn't problematic per se. Friends have had great sucess doing so. I prefer a 12/12 just because I think it mimics nature a little bit closer. If those pins don't develop further, harvest them, dunk the cakes, and birth them again. GL

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation