Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleEmbracingShadows
Deaf
 User Gallery
Omega 3 fatty acid.
    #4419129 - 07/18/05 03:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

2 days ago i went and got some Omega 3 fatty acid pills cuz i read that it helps the brain and potentially help bi-polar disorder. i took one and read the bottle and it said "Omega 3 fatty acid" and underneath that was "FISH OIL" and i was like "fuckinay....." and i figured id be good since it was in a capsule and im really sensitive to fish i puke alot from the smell, taste anything to do with it. about a half hour later i got fish burps.... and man i was tryin so hard not to puke then i was standing in the kitchen and one came up and BAM started puking. i puked on the kitchen floor and in the sink, i was hovering over the sink and then i smelled fish oil in my vomit and started puking again. when i was done i went into the hall and was standin there thinkin thank god thats over then out of no where i puked and it sprayed 5 fuckin feet exorcist style it got all over my couch on my sisters shoes and all over the floor. after this incident i decided never to take them again unless there is sumthin that can neutralize those fish burps so i dont have them and dont vomit everywhere again and make a huge mess. so i was wonderin if any one knew anything i can take or eat to make no nasty fish burps appear. im all for it. cuz my doc reccomended this so im willing to try it but i cant if i cant handle that crap.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Omega 3 fatty acid. [Re: EmbracingShadows]
    #4419338 - 07/18/05 04:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

eat nuts instead. Or eggs with good fats in it.
There are other ways to get omega 3

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#4419539 - 07/18/05 04:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The greatest natural source of omega 3 is flax seed oil. It has a pleasant taste and smell and should not cause any of the problems you mentioned. Make sure it is cold pressed, refrigerated, and comes in a dark bottle. (The oil is easily degenerated by heat, light, and air.)

A maintanence dose would be one tablespoon per 100 lbs. body weight. I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons for a month or two. If you find your condition improves you can back off to the maintanence dose.

Of course, you want your diet overall to be healthy, but this is a big step in the right direction.  :thumbup:

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineHalcyon88
Adventurer

Loc: Humboldt
    #4419574 - 07/18/05 05:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

There are these really good bars that are made with alot of flax seed. They are made by Odwalla(They make juice/smoothies as well). I think its Called "Berries-GoMega." Yuo can get them at Trader Joe's or a health food store or Co-Op. I eat them pretty often and like them a bunch.

There's some interesting information out there on the role of Omega-3 oils in the development of human cultures.

--------------------
Shpongle...? Yeah.

Life is default. The universe is not hostile.
Reality is relative.
All that we are arises from what we have thought.

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Omega 3 fatty acid. [Re: zorbman]
    #4419819 - 07/18/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zorbman said:
The greatest natural source of omega 3 is flax seed oil. It has a pleasant taste and smell and should not cause any of the problems you mentioned.

I buy the ground up flax seeds straight from the health food store and I mix two heaping teaspoons with my oatmeal every morning. Fish oil is supposed to have a better EFA profile but because of the taste I find that it isn't worth it. You can get the capsules or oil also but the fatty acids break down readily when exposed to air or light so it is best to just buy the actual seed. The seeds must be ground before you consume them though, or they will simply pass through you without the fatty acids being released.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4420022 - 07/18/05 07:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

High sources of Omega 3 faty acid:

Salmon, Herring, Sardines, Tuna, Bluefish, Mackeral
Canola oil, flaxseed, flaxseed oil, walnuts, and leafy green vegetables

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Omega 3 fatty acid. [Re: Shroomism]
    #4420533 - 07/18/05 09:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Be wary of eating fish as a source of Omega 3's. Many of the larger fish such as salmon and tuna contain high levels of toxic mercury. Eat them sparingly.

Better sources are flax seed oil, flax seed, and walnuts. Some green leafy vegetables contain it, but remember that heat destroys EFA's so any cooking is out.

I would also be extremely wary of Canola oil. Personally, I would never ingest that stuff and consider it to be dangerous.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4420569 - 07/18/05 09:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yes raw food is best.. especially with nuts since cooking them destroys all the essential oils.. and I am wary of eating fish these days due to all the cases of mercury poisoning happening lately... damned pollution :nonono:

--------------------

OfflineYahoKa
Just a guy.

Loc: Canadian
Re: Omega 3 fatty acid. [Re: Shroomism]
    #4420855 - 07/18/05 10:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I eat fish pills, and fish also makes me very sick, yet somehow the pills don't. I know the burbs are nasty, but try taking it before you go to bed so you don't burb, cus I think your problem is mostly in your head - with a big glass of water (and if you can, a little to help absorb). I take vitamins and fish oil before bed.

Yes, Omega-3 fatty acids are important; it is believed they make neurotransmission easier, and also benefit your heart's "maintenance".

Oh, about the fish and heavy metals: Yes, it's true, doctors will even suggest limiting your fish intake to a couple of times per week. Make sure you get pills that are tested for heavy metals.

--------------------
Hang on tightly ... and let go lightly.

Edited by YahoKa (07/18/05 11:00 PM)

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Omega 3 fatty acid. [Re: YahoKa]
    #4420954 - 07/18/05 11:15 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Are the pills refrigerated? If not, wouldn't the EFA's be at risk of breaking down during transportation and from sitting on a shelf?

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4421168 - 07/18/05 11:52 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Offlinesvmoe
Stranger
Re: Omega 3 fatty acid. [Re: Vvellum]
    #4436993 - 07/22/05 05:49 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hemp seed is a good source of Omega 3 6 and 9, all esssential fatty acids. Plus it supports the legitimate hemp industry.
Nordic Naturals makes the best fish oils as far as quality and no fishy burps. Taking fish oil with a meal also cuts gone the fishy burps (these are called repeat in nutritional circles)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4437529 - 07/22/05 11:54 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Use a better quality fish oil. Nordic Naturals fish oil caps never have an after taste or smell of fish. I chew the caps and so does my partners 4 year old son. He begs for them.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Omega 3 fatty acid. [Re: Icelander]
    #4437539 - 07/22/05 12:00 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Do the capsules need to be refrigerated?

Won't the oil go rancid if exposed to heat?

--------------------

OfflineKungFu_Shaman
naive and lovingit

Loc: noitacaol cihpargoeg
    #4438493 - 07/22/05 04:29 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.omegabrite.com/ <-------excellent omega3 pills

I have gotten one SPOILED batch that smelled strongly of fish oil, but I contacted the company and they replaced the batch no questions asked.

I have read several books and comparison guides and this company (OmegaBrite) appears to have the purest and best Omega3 pills on the market.

--------------------
Feel the wrath of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4438552 - 07/22/05 04:41 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zorbman said:
Do the capsules need to be refrigerated?

Won't the oil go rancid if exposed to heat?

Polyunsaturated oils are very unstable. Even if you eat them fresh there are some theorys that they can go rancid in body tissue. So... Taking antioxidents is important. Caps should be oxygen stable inside the cap. Liquids should be refrigerated and consumed ASAP. It doesn't hurt to refrigerate the caps though.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4438572 - 07/22/05 04:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Actually, from what I've heard, freshwater salmon is quite low in mercury. According to this: http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/fish/mercuryhealthfacts.html

Also, according to this:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2325.html

Quote:

Canola oil comes from a hybrid plant developed in Canada during the late 1960s - 1970s using traditional pedigree hybrid propagation techniques (not genetically modified) involving black mustard, leaf mustard, and turnip rapeseed. The original rapeseed plant was high in erucic acid, which is an unpalatable fatty acid having negative health effects in high concentrations. Canola oil contains less than 1 percent erucic acid. Actually, another name for canola oil is LEAR (Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed) oil.

So I'm not sure why you think canola oil is dangerous.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Omega 3 fatty acid. [Re: Phluck]
    #4439993 - 07/22/05 10:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

If anyone does eat lots of fish, eat it with green or black tea (From the same leaf). It's better for you - Very synergistic, and yummy combination.

Also like everyone else is saying, flax and leafy greens are a great source of EFA's. Eat flax, it's fucking good for you. Buy the capsules, or buy it raw and cook with it. It's actually not that bad at all. You can get loaves of bread made with hella flax. Can't stress how important EFA's are, especially with the diets that most people have today.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Omega 3 fatty acid. [Re: Phluck]
    #4440464 - 07/23/05 12:17 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I am out of town and on a slow connection so I will address those questions when I return next week. This slow ass connection is driving me up the wall!!

Have a good weekend, everybody! :smile:

--------------------

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

#4441798 - 07/23/05 07:34 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

interesting thread...

my mother in law brought up the subject of how the country of Finland, due to EU regulations, they're not allowed to grow sugar beets anymore (Germany, France and the UK are bullies and decide what can and can't be grown in certain countries :frown:).  So Finland had to pick what to grow as a substitution...

apparently they will be growing a plant called carmelia (sp?), which is high in omega3 and will be turned into cooking oil. i don't know how valid this claim is...does anyone know anything about carmelia?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being