Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Are my BRF jars too gooey? What should a BRF jar feel like after cooking...
    #4386978 - 07/09/05 04:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

My friend recently cooked up a batch of pint PF jars, using the PF tek for simple minds formula. He was very careful to add the correct amount of water (just to saturation) and BRF, and PC'ed the pints for 1 hour at 15psi. My friend had some of the jars where the dry vermiculite seal sort of fell in between the sides of the jar and the the BRF cake, in three jars, so he decided not to use these due to excessive dry vermiculite near the sites needed for inoculation.

My friend popped the cakes out of these jars and they felt entirely too gluey. The moisture and ingredient proportions were presumably correct, and the substrate was not packed into the jars but it felt stuck together and like it would not colonize 100% as compared to rye jars which my friend is more used to using. Aren't PF jars supposed to be fluffy? Are PF jars supposed to stick together in one piece and be sticky like this before colonization? my friend has done many pf jars but never opened one before it was colonized. He is wondering if this is just a side effect of the PF method of growing or if he screwed up somewhere with ingredients or cooking.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Loc: Lazy River Road
Re: Are my BRF jars too gooey? What should a BRF jar feel like after cooking... [Re: lemunhed]
    #4386981 - 07/09/05 04:17 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Did he mix the dry ingredients together before he added the water?

--------------------
Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are my BRF jars too gooey? What should a BRF jar feel like after cooking... [Re: Aiko Aiko]
    #4387096 - 07/09/05 05:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gobblin said:

Did he mix the dry ingredients together before he added the water?

I mix the Verm and water first...then add the BRF.

and I can tell you that it doesn't make any difference.

in fact I prefer to do it this way.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Re: Are my BRF jars too gooey? What should a BRF jar feel like after cooking... [Re: Roadkill]
    #4387100 - 07/09/05 05:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Verm and water first, ok. Flour and water, not ok. At least IME. I have found that if I mix the dry ingriedients first I get a much more consistent jar.

--------------------
Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are my BRF jars too gooey? What should a BRF jar feel like after cooking... [Re: Aiko Aiko]
    #4387114 - 07/09/05 05:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have never mixed water and BRF first...
and I don't think that would be smart.

seems like it would be very messy!~

:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Re: Are my BRF jars too gooey? What should a BRF jar feel like after cooking... [Re: Roadkill]
    #4387123 - 07/09/05 05:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

That's where I think the problem may lie w/ lemunhead's friend. I could be wrong though.

--------------------

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
    #4387143 - 07/09/05 05:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Actually, my friend is obsessive, and going off of one of Anno's teks, you can bet there are specific instructions. My friend mixes the water/verm first and then puts in the BRF like roadkill.

I actually don't know if there's a problem or not. The PF jars might be fine, they may colonize fine. The issue was that my friend was just surprised by the texture of the cakes when he picked them out of the jars. He thought they would be fluffier... but like I said maybe they're supposed to be more glooey. That's why I was asking what a cake should feel like before its colonized. Should it crumble apart or should it stick together? I know it crumbled before it was PC'ed but after the PCing it seems to be stuck together.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Re: Are my BRF jars too gooey? What should a BRF jar feel like after cooking... [Re: lemunhed]
    #4387158 - 07/09/05 05:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would imagine after the sterilazation process, the cake does probably set. Like kinda bind. If you or your friend followed the instructions to the T, then you don't have anything to worry about. GL Peace! :: :biggrin: :cool:

--------------------

Offlinemickeymicmic
word

#4387201 - 07/09/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i added water before the BRF, but in a few of them i had too much water, didnt even seem like that much, but the result was clumps that were gluey so i really think that might be what it was. the next time i added an amount of water that left nothing sitting at the bottom and they werent gluey or clumpy at all. but thats my experience and my experience is pretty limited.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation