Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Pharmacy?
    #4378782 -

Ok here's my train of thought. I am already majoring in Applied Psychology and am looking for something to DO with it. My options include

1.) Go to school for 7+ more years and get my Ph.D in Psychology of some kind.
2.) Get my B.S. and never use it.
3.) Get my B.S. with pre-pharm credit (some extra chemistry. Interesting at least)

I could get my Pharmacy degree and work in a field that I find interesting, PLUS I could make huge amounts of money. People in Pharmacy make shitloads of money.

It's a win win! Plus I could help stop things like mass Ritalin and Adderal overprescription from the inside, cause that shit puts a sad face on the study of medicine.


--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pharmacy? [Re: freddurgan]
    #4378789 -

Hmm, I"m not sure, but I have a close friend who's going for a pharmacist.

He's taking everything that someone would be taking to go for a medical doctor.

6-7 years of schooling from what I remember.  Pharmacists actually know a lot more than most doctors.  Many times pharmacists have to phone doctors and tell them what they SHOULD of prescribed. 

Big responsiblity, But SHITLOADS(like you say) of money.  Go for it if you can man  :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pharmacy? [Re: Spooge]
    #4378817 -

I know nothing about the feild, but I do know that nobody will prescribe me Adderal, yet I'd go crazy without getting it once in a while, it's the only reason I get things done.


--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pharmacy? [Re: Jadian]
    #4378940 -

If you enter the field you'll be looking at two basic programs:

1. One program is a "Pharm-D" program which will train you to be a "pharmacist" and work in a pharmacy. From here I believe you can specialize further and get clinical training (e.g. work in a hospital and make custom "Drug cocktails" for AIDS patients etc.) Not sure how all schools do it but the program at my school is 6 years from start to end.

2. You can slo get a Ph.D in Pharmacology. This will train you to do research on drugs. These graduate programs require a 4 year degree, and then getting your Ph.D is typically about 5 years (for a total of about 9).

As far as money is concerned the "Pharm-D" will definetly offer a higher starting pay (70+K). It tops out fairly quickly however as long as you stay "behind the counter".

With both degrees though the real big money starts once you begin moving up into administrative tasks/management etc.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pharmacy? [Re: Jadian]
    #4379017 -

Jadian said:
I know nothing about the feild, but I do know that nobody will prescribe me Adderal, yet I'd go crazy without getting it once in a while, it's the only reason I get things done.



excuses excuses.


--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pharmacy? [Re: BloodNOil]
    #4379818 -

BloodNOil said:
Jadian said:
I know nothing about the feild, but I do know that nobody will prescribe me Adderal, yet I'd go crazy without getting it once in a while, it's the only reason I get things done.



excuses excuses.



That's what I've always thought.

That's the one thing that wards me away. How much GOOD do Pharmacist do? Are medicine overprescribed? Are we just a pill dependant society?


--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pharmacy? [Re: BloodNOil]
    #4379830 -

Not true. I have a friend who is a fucking madman, but as soon as he takes his meds, he started reading, writing, and being productive in general.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pharmacy? [Re: Redstorm]
    #4379966 -

Redstorm said:
Not true. I have a friend who is a fucking madman, but as soon as he takes his meds, he started reading, writing, and being productive in general.



He wasn't beaten enough as a child. Anyone would behave like that if
they weren't taught proper discipline.


--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pharmacy? [Re: freddurgan]
    #4379994 -

I was considering pharmacy a while back. The money is very good, but the work is incredibly boring. You spend 6+ years in school so that you can basically count pills for the rest of your life.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pharmacy? [Re: BloodNOil]
    #4381698 -

BloodNOil said:
Redstorm said:
Not true. I have a friend who is a fucking madman, but as soon as he takes his meds, he started reading, writing, and being productive in general.



He wasn't beaten enough as a child. Anyone would behave like that if
they weren't taught proper discipline.



Not true at all. He was raised great, and never gets in trouble. He just can never concentrate on one thing for any amount of time. Though I think Adderall and Ritelin are over-prescribed, it is foolish to believe that ADD is a modern myth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Becoming a pharmacist
( 1 2 all )
Herbologist 3,038 35 10/05/10 05:26 PM
by vash0523
* Pharmacists refusing to give birth control to women due to morals
( 1 2 3 all )
MOTH 6,273 41 11/27/04 06:56 PM
by d33p
* is it doctor shopping if you don't get prescribed anything xbloodwhipx 300 3 09/25/12 09:46 AM
by HB
* Career in Pharmacy TurntableJunky 1,210 19 11/25/07 09:25 AM
by Caribou_Lou
* Any pharmacists (or people in the field) here? addsub 1,212 14 08/22/08 06:43 AM
by badchad
* Your robbing a pharmacy... What would you ask for?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
grimR 7,202 104 02/05/12 02:26 AM
by grimR
* Can pharmacists write scripts? deranger 2,085 19 12/07/08 05:41 AM
by filthee
* The Guardians Of Drug Morality At CVS Pharmacy....
( 1 2 all )
starfire_xes 3,551 33 09/13/14 03:36 PM
by Everlong

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,004 topic views. 3 members, 39 guests and 87 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.