Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: What are people doing to select a substrain that shows rhizomorphic growth? [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4345127 - 06/27/05 10:17 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, EonTan, I don't think I've ever had a strain that wouldn't fruit either unless mold got to it first. But that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about strains that won't go through casings worth crap because they don't form rhizomophs. Mycelium like that is really a bummer. I am fruiting one of those right now:

I would consider this a poor tray for many reasons. For one the tray would not colonize the casing properly after incubation for seven days, so I had to shave most of it off except about 1/4" dusting. Secondly, the mycelium would not form rhizomorphs which left the casing open to trich, which I've had to cover in several places with baking soda. Third, the pin set is okay, as you can see, but not really spectacular, especially for Equators on a first flush. I've had EQ trays that were so dense that they barely left a two square inches open anywhere on the entire tray surface. A GOOD tray is like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: What are people doing to select a substrain that shows rhizomorphic growth? [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4345161 - 06/27/05 10:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

mycofile, I did start it from 1 CC of live culture. The LC was concentrated down and came from one of the best, and I know that the guy who started it often uses 2 to 3 ml of homemade spore solution to start up his LCs. And so this LC should already represent some degree of genetic selectivity. The difference will be that I am using about 20 times the amount I was before and the strains were in combat in a 3D space, so no losers could have hung around the sidelines out of the ring so to speak. So if this genetic diversity thing WAS the issue, I think that chances are I would see a definite difference.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4345202 - 06/27/05 10:41 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

PS - It's been 12 hours since I injected the live culture and I already see my first sign of growth on one of the grains. That is the all time fasted I have ever seen a sign of growth in a non-incubated spawn bag from a mycelium injection. I really hope this is real cubensis and not something else. My gut tells me it is, though.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4354812 - 06/30/05 09:43 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

UPDATE

I felt it was a little unfair to leave this thread the way it is. While the rhizomorphs of this these three trays were not good and I did have trouble with the casing soil penetration, the yield was fairly good in all areas except the baking soda-covered ones. In fact I destroyed most of the casing trying to remove the mushrooms. Here is HALF the harvest:

I think if I'd have gotten rhizomorphs, though, I could have managed the casing a lot better. I am not so sure anymore, though, that is was strain-related. I mean this harvest was nothing to scoff at.

In addition to going to liquid culture, I am going to give agar's suggestion of using a calcium hydroxide SOLUTION to balance my peat moss next time. I think a solution is a good idea since it lead to a more pH-uniform casing.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #4363673 - 07/02/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I still think it's strain related because 1) irregularity when you say nothing else changes, and 2) if it were uneven mixing in regards to casing pH, surely parts of the casing would colonize better. Seems to me the only thing that changes from colonized casings to non-colonized casings is the genes.

*edited to add*
I also like the idea of using basic solutions to adjust pH, I just don't think that's your problem.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Edited by mycofile (07/02/05 04:17 PM)

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4364305 - 07/02/05 07:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

mycofile, I don't know. The LC mycelium is very fast. Although I don't see actual rhizomorphic growth, I do see very strong linear mycelium bridging gaps everywhere. I just did a final break up of the LC bags and they are on the last 48-hour recolonize before being laid down. I like to break it up in the bag once it's about 90% colonized and let it re-colonize for about 48 hours.

Today I mixed up the casing material. Usually I use only oyster shell and limestone powder or calcium carbonate flour for the pH balancing. Today I used a tiny, tiny bit of calcium hydroxide, like an 1/8th cup, and the pH shot through the roof. Mr. Hawke's 50/50 formula recommends a whole 1.2 CUPS of that stuff! If you use the amount he suggests, your casing pH will likely be above 10.5. I just don't have a clue what he is talking about. I think he's consumed one too many mushrooms himself.

ANYWAY back to the casing. I mixed it down to a pH of about 7.8 and added my regular oyster shell. I immediately noticed that the fuel-like smell that I thought was my peat moss is from the rinsed oyster shell. I don't know what that smell is, but I don't like it. Because it gives me bad vibes (the smell), I decided to ditch the oyster shell I have all together. I threw that casing out in the garden and mixed up another. This time I used aragonite crushed coral instead which I've used before and is a better buffer anyway since it dissolves easier.

So, the final mix was peat moss, vermiculite (about 60%), a few cups of aragonite crushed coral, and about 10% coco coir. I loaded that up in a cement mixing bag and rinsed the HELL out of the whole thing, using the cement bag as a big strainer of sorts and blowing gallons of water through it. I then squeezed the bag with my entire body weight to bring the moister to the right level, re-tested the pH, which stayed at about 7.8, and put it outside. I'm going to soak pasteurize the whole mix tomorrow.

You see I am not leaving anything to chance this time. If the mycelium doesn't like this casing soil, I don't know what to do. I will be finally out of ideas.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale