Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:)
    #4299541 -

Hello all,

Today was a good hunting day here in md/dc(usa), even though it is damn hot and humid. Let me get to the question.

I found these in two locations (a nice rolling church lawn/grounds and a municipal park/field) which are seperate by about a mile or more.

They're anywhere from 2 to 4 inches in length. Have a very firm stem. Thier caps are nearly ballon shape at times. Though there are a few that are more pointed.


Many of them have really good blue at there bases, actually the blueing was more clear before I started pinching them. Does anyone recognize these little ladies? I've looked around and have not been able to find ones that have there particular look. Oh, and I have no idea how to take a spore print from them. I've tried a could of ways but no real luck so far.

Also today, I found some more of those copey looking ones from yesterday, but this time at the church, which is nearly 2 miles from my house.

Also found some what I suspect to be pan subbs at the field

I'm waiting on the prints right now.

So any help on these ones up top would be great.
thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4299982 -

Doesn't look like anything active to me, if thats what you were looking for.

Once you have those prints, we can pretty much give you a good idea on what the mushrooms are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: Rebirtha]
    #4300513 -

they look like cope cyans, only if they actually bruised blue.


--------------------
"Truth is more in the process than in the result."
- J. Krishnamurti




"We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived." Wei Wu Wei

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: hot48yearolds]
    #4300720 -

They do actually bruise blue, though not as dramtically as cope cyans normally do, from what I understand.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4300729 -

So here's a tad more info. The gills are sorta of a medium buff color and attached.

Evan --- Why do you say that they don't look like anything active? What are you seeing or not seeing? Thanks.

Edited by mikonn (06/15/05 08:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4300969 -

Hmm intersting find, they do look like they might be an active species. I find it hard to differentiate between the different species you pointed out, got any better pics of the ones you thought were subbs? Did you take any spore prints?

Hot and humid is definately not the right kind of weather for liberties, and they would be weird looking liberties anyway. Maybe some sort of Panaeolus? Hmm I'm not sure though.

Grab some spore prints, see if they come out dark purply-brown or black. :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: haunted]
    #4301263 -

The possible pan subbs prints came out black, though not as black as the copes, its strange and it took me a while to decide, but after comparing them to some other prints a have and getting some better light, i'm pretty sure they are pan subbs, maybe.

Yeah, I don't know about the first ones. I found this picture on erowid that sorta looks like them, but it's fuzzy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a spore print from one of these?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4302198 -

I would say cope cyans. The last time i went i found a couple of those but mostley pan ants. Where do u live?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: sub1ime421]
    #4302246 -

Where do you people get off on saying they're Cope cyans? He found them in Maryland. Copes don't grow within 1000 miles of there.

Think before you give out ID's people! Thats a rule in here, you know. You could get someone killed.

As far as how to take a spore print goes: Read the rules thread, I'm fairly sure it's mentioned in there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: Gumby]
    #4302628 -

Thanks for looking in on my post Gumby. The cope cyan question was asked in an earlier thread, though not answered definatively, mushroom john did weigh in on the matter
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4293564#Post4293564
the the jury is still out as to what they might be. Jet black spores, moderate blueing, maryland?

as for the first pictures in this post-- I understand the process undertaken to produce spore prints, which is what is addressed in the sticky, what I'm wondering is if you might have any "tips" on getting prints from such "closed off" specimen. I'm am going to look for fresh ones today and will try for prints again, in the mean time, do they look macroscopically similar to anything you might recall, I am refering to the first type shown. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4302774 -

The first ones look like Conocybes to me. Something close to Conocybe tenera. I don't see any bluing. Many times white mycelium at the base of a mushroom can appear blue, especially if you are trying to see blue. Some Conocybes are deadly, so proceed with caution.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: shroomydan]
    #4303508 -

Thanks for looking. There is definate blueing. I know that I've stared at the mycelium so much before that it looked blue. but this is blue. I'll post some better pics later.

Edited by mikonn (06/16/05 01:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4303902 -

alright, I got some fresh specimens of the "liberty cap"-ish ones that were pictured first.

and here is a close-up on the blueing...

now im trying again to get prints, though these little buggers haven't seemed to drop a single one. ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4304002 -

It looks like an active conocybe, perhaps Conocybe cyanopus which does grow in lawns in the summer in temperate regions. The bluing base and buff gills are correct as well. A spore print would really help confirm the ID. A very interesting find. Well done.

mikonn, check your PM's


--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: Workman]
    #4304512 -

Very interesting, thanks alot. Can't wait to find out what they are.

I still can't get any spores out of these little dears. We'll see.

I found a few more of the disputed "cope cyan"-ish ones today, again at both the church and the field. That is three distinct localities (here in Maryland/usa) where I have found them.

i think something else might have snuck into this picture.
Here is a close up on the blueing.

There is blueing at the bases and on a few of the caps and margins. The picture does't quit show it too great. I'm interested in some of the Mods opinions. Thanks alot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4306757 -

Any idea?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4306772 -

Very interesting finds.

So I put it all together using your own words:

Habitat: church lawn/grounds and a municipal park/field
Cap: nearly ballon shape at times, though there are a few that are more pointed
Gills: medium buff color, attached
Stem: from 2 to 4 inches in length, very firm, bruising blue at the base

I don't know about them being active Conocybes though. Conocybe cyanopus and Conocybe smithii usually have ochraceous tawny to cinnamon brown to dark brown caps, I don't know how hygrophanous they are, but these have an altogether different look. Also Conocybe stems tend to be fragile and easily breaking apart. (I can't say I have seen an active Conocybe in my lifetime though :smirk:). They do look like lawn Conocybes, but what species is beyond me. Also bluing is confusing. Please provide us with more details, mikonn. Here's an outline that you might find useful.

There are very few photos of active Conocybes.

 


Those are some photos by Beug, Stamets and mjshroomer, see the file name for the species name.


--------------------
Every Animal Is Someone 🌱 watchdominion.org

Edited by ivi (06/17/05 06:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: ivi]
    #4307752 -

I do agree that the tough stem feature is a problem, but I haven't seen any active conocybes myself. The few pictures are not very helpful in showing species variation, so I think its still possible that its C. cyanopus, but equally likely that its something undescribed. The caps seem dry and that would cause the disparity in color between the published photos and the collection here.


--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: Workman]
    #4307783 -

Workman,

Please take a look at my new post. I know my observations are not grounded in a great deal of scientific knowledge, however there may be some more information for you.

Thanks.

Edited by mikonn (06/17/05 02:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Good hunt today..."Liberty Cap"ish id help:) [Re: mikonn]
    #4308143 -

I can't nail it down to a species but it does appear that you have some active Panaeolus species, the bluing is pretty apparent on them. Great find. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Re: liberty caps?plez read mj mjshroomer 4,679 1 04/14/00 10:00 AM
by Mitchnast
* Liberty caps in UK
( 1 2 all )
dazzyboi 15,926 23 09/11/03 02:49 PM
by Hugh_Jass
* Damnit, now I'm turned off from hunting for liberty caps! megaman3 33,019 17 08/22/03 01:12 PM
by Mitchnast
* Are there any deadly look alikes for liberty caps Karen 124,090 14 03/13/22 04:13 AM
by Anglerfish
* question about liberty caps NITRIC 3,483 1 05/30/01 09:31 PM
by Woodsman
* huge liberty caps in scotland mr_kite 7,258 17 10/23/21 12:49 PM
by RenegadeMycologist
* Are Liberty Caps the ONLY mushrooms in Newfoundland? Spiritus 4,313 7 11/06/18 07:00 AM
by puff4200
* liberty cap hunting
( 1 2 all )
kaal-kopje 14,090 23 10/28/02 01:28 AM
by angryshroom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
3,411 topic views. 2 members, 10 guests and 46 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 16 queries.