Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedazzyboi
LearnerPhysconaut
Liberty caps in UK
    #1884897 - 09/05/03 01:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This is my first year hunting for shrooms.. Shroom season has just started here but the weather has been abit too hot for it, it has started raining today so im hoping for more rain in the next 1-2 days.

What im asking is, we have plenty of places they grow, but there are also land like golf courses, cow fields etc which i would like to look at. I live in caldicot, south wales...

Another q is i know its the best time to pick early in the morning, from around 5am? but how much time have got out on the field? also is there any chance at all that they might grow during the day if the weather is still looking slightly wet and windy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty caps in UK [Re: dazzyboi]
    #1884937 - 09/05/03 01:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You sure haven't made any attempts to research this info... It's all out there(pretty easy to find if you just make an effort), so I'm not going to help you out with this one.

Offlinedazzyboi
LearnerPhysconaut
Re: Liberty caps in UK [Re: Gumby]
    #1884957 - 09/05/03 01:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah i have done alot of research, problem is there are not many British related sites that give information...

I cant really use info of shroomary.org because it relates to hunting in the US which is different from britain because of the climate!

If any british hunters are on this board could you give me some info

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1885061 - 09/05/03 01:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It tells you in the mushroom hunting FAQ where you can find liberty caps and I know I've told people a million times that it doesn't matter when you pick mushrooms. They don't just disappear during the day, that's just asinine.

Offlinedazzyboi
LearnerPhysconaut
Re: Liberty caps in UK [Re: Gumby]
    #1885112 - 09/05/03 01:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Iv read through the mushroom hunting faq's along time ago..

But things are still confusing me, why then if you can pick most of the day do people go out early in the morning. Is it because this is the best time to pick or is there another reason?

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1885224 - 09/05/03 02:23 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The mushrooms tend to be in better condition in the morning, the caps aren't faded or tattered. The sun will cause minimal potency loss over time, but it's not that bad. The main reason most people go early in the morning is to get mushrooms in their prime condition or to avoid being spotted while tresspassing.

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1885259 - 09/05/03 02:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well the season is upon us as we speak, i just need more rain down south, i duno (or need to know) were you are, but the best places to look are open grass land. Mainly sheep grazed grass is best, and the more northen the more liberty caps.

http://www.canedintotnes.co.uk/mushrooms/libcap1.htm

Has a nice pic of english liberty caps. Happy hunting.
The keys are, nippled cap, purple spore print  :print:
and a slight blueing of the bruised stems.

Good luck with them, and come back for an id (before eating) if you find anything

--------------------

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty caps in UK [Re: Paid]
    #1885276 - 09/05/03 02:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If its a wet day, you can pick any part of the day, the morning thing is a myth. If its dry, there actually easyer to spot, as the caps become golden. If wet they remain a dark brown.

I see your in wales so you should find plenty, north wales (were i'll be picking next weekend) is better than south wales.

But they show up all over this isle.

--------------------

Offlinedazzyboi
LearnerPhysconaut
    #1885328 - 09/05/03 02:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Paid yes i am from wales the land of the lib caps as they say, We havent had much rain lately so i cannot start the hunting.. Problem is im abit miffed as to where to go, there are loadz of places round here i could check, Golf course is only 5 minute walk from me, we got sheep grazing fields, cow fields.. I know people who goto certain locations where they grow but they have decided to keep that area secret, im still trying to nag them!

I have read a few different things about hunting by the looks of things, as you said about hunting when its not raining... I dident think they grew in the dry, i know the best time to pick is after a good few days of rain so the soil is nice and moist and the air is cold

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

#1885366 - 09/05/03 03:10 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, there must be rain before they grow, but come the autum rains the soil stays pretty moist for long after the rains. So this means any day is a good day :-)

High sheep pasture is the best ime. Cow fields are normally lowland in wales, but will still produce fruits, there just harder to find as the grass is longer.

The black mountains seem to suck ime. but pembrokshire(sp?) is a hot spot.
Golf courses are just somewere they have been found, but arent common places. Still worth a look if your near one.

Its raining hard now :-) so not long to wait.

--------------------

Offlinedazzyboi
LearnerPhysconaut
    #1885445 - 09/05/03 03:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Cheers for the advise! I think ill wait for this rain and pray that it starts tonight (its looking more and more cloudy by the hour, we had a few light showers earlier) and if luck has it i may be able to go out for a few hours sunday morning

If i have anyluck ill post my find on here.

Cheers again

OfflineSin Bad
Mushroom Man

Loc: Japan
    #1897676 - 09/09/03 12:00 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Dazzyboi, it seems that most of your quesitons have already been answered, but I'll through in my 2 cents:

Location: In my experience, fields, pastures, medows, or heathland that has not been disrupted in anyway (eg ploughing) for a long time are a good place to start. Areas which are grazed by cattle or sheep and have been for several years are even more likely to yeild mushooms. Golf courses and cricket pitches are not particulary fruitful, but may be worth checking out. One bonus of these is that that tend to get watered during the summer, so that might give them an advantage over other areas.
The grass cannot be too long, otherwise you may not be able to spot the shrooms. On the plus side, Libertys that I've found in long grass tend to be giants, with big caps and long stalks.

When to pick: You certainly need a long peroid of rain for the shrooms to grow. So far where I am (midlands, england) there hasn't been enough rain, and the ground is still bone dry, which is no good. As somebody has alrady said, it's a complete myth that mushrooms only appear ealry in the moring. You can pick all day, though bear in mind they are much easier to spot when dry, as they shine out like little creamy beacons, but when wet they are dark in colour, and blend into the backround. One reason why people suggest you go picking early is because somebody else might pick all the shrooms before you!

I have found shrooms as early as late august, but normally good crops aren't found until late september. With this years extremely hot and dry summer, it may only be a short season.

I seem to rememeber seeing a website that was a map of the UK, and had locations of where libertys had been found. However, bear in mind that most people will keep their picking spots as a closely guarded secret.

happy hunting.

Offlinemikey_
SURFING ON SINEWAVES
Male

Loc: Liverpool
Re: Liberty caps in UK [Re: Sin Bad]
    #1901346 - 09/10/03 09:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

yes, there is a UK shroom map.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/shroommap/

but, the forum is pretty bad sometimes.

--------------------
The poison is the dose - Paracelsus
Let your food be medicine and your medicine be food - Hippocrates

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
Re: Liberty caps in UK [Re: mikey_]
    #1901472 - 09/10/03 10:07 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have started to post this pic in a few places to spread the word about UK cyanescens.

Liberty caps are fun to go and pick but seriously, on with the new!!!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty caps in UK [Re: pluteus]
    #1901480 - 09/10/03 10:16 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

one of the few understandable cases of crossposting/PWing :grin:.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

#1901509 - 09/10/03 10:36 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

God dam :-)
This years, or last years?

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1901546 - 09/10/03 11:02 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

he said last in another thread.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
Re: Liberty caps in UK [Re: canid]
    #1901780 - 09/10/03 12:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah sorry about multiple posting probably should have started my own thread: CYAN IN UK REALLY EXISTS! or something.  any mods want to move it, please do

I never got a change to weigh this motherload cause my bathroom scales were broken and it'd've taken days to use my digi gram scales.
Had a hell of a time trying to get them all clean & dried before they rotted - I admit that unfortunately a few did go to waste :frown: 

They were seriously potent, I had a heavy trip off of just 4 fresh mature shrooms.  My friends were taking more and going out of the solar system.  Dried, and stored in baggies, no elaborate freeze dried vaccuum packed total darkness routine, they stayed potent for 10 months.

I have not bothered to look for any yet this year, cause down here in south I have never seen them fruit abundantly till mid-late October and then they keep going sometimes until late november.  Plus its been such a dry season so far.  They like it absolutely soaking wet.

So in about a months time I should be posting some nice pics.  I hope to make a nice series of photo-posts documenting the different species of mushrooms coming up on woodchip beds in the UK, all with confirmed positive IDs.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1901887 - 09/10/03 01:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

it's ok as long as it's relavent, just don't overdo it :smile:.

be sure to post a thread on your finds this fall.

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: Liberty caps in UK [Re: canid]
    #1904243 - 09/11/03 05:58 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Wow, man! I have my spots for the liberty's but have yet to find a cyan, that bunch is amazing!!!

I know they grow on wood chip beds but apart from the play area down my park where is one likely to find these beds? Any tips would be much appreciated!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification