Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Are there any deadly look alikes for liberty caps
    #985438 - 10/23/02 02:20 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm new to hunting and think I may have found a large stash of libs but because I am paranoid and haven ever really hunted before I didn't pick them.

Are there any deadly look alikes for liberty caps? If so is there any surefire way to tell them apart.

I've read the guides but I am not all that confident. I wanted to use mushroom johns guide but his page appears to be down. Does anyone else know where I might find the info contained in his guide?

Any help would be appreciated since I am a newbie to all of this.

Thanks all and sorry for the basic questions but I went through pages and pages of search info and couldn't find any real data about look alikes.

Karen

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Are there any deadly look alikes for liberty caps [Re: Karen]
    #985541 - 10/23/02 03:35 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I thikn there was a question a few days about this...but, I'll post the information for LIberty caps:

Psilocybe semilanceata:

Cap: .5-2.5 cm broad and high, narrowly conical to bell shaped with a pointed umbo. Surface smooth, chesnut brown to brown or olive brown and slightly viscid when moist

Gills: attached, pallid, becoming gray and finally turning dark purple brown. white edges

Stem: 3-10 cm long, 1-2 mm thick, whitesh with brownish base.

Veil: None

Sporeprint: purple brown.

Habitat: scattered in pastures and tall grass, but not growing in dung.

Do a search here or on google for Psilocybe semilanceata.

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #985546 - 10/23/02 03:37 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Does it bruise blue? Does it have a dark purplish brown spore print? Does it have a have a viscid surface when moist? Does it have a separable gelatinous pellicle (peel a cap apart carefully and you should be able to see this); and was it found growing among grass? If so, you can feel pretty confident that you do indeed have liberty caps.

Some dadly Gallerinas, Conocybes, and Pholiotinas share some of the same macroscopic qualities of liberty caps (all these are deadly), but none of them have all the qualities I described above.

Hope this helps...

OfflineUnity333
addict
 User Gallery

#985904 - 10/23/02 09:19 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

This picture came from the Shroomery...Libertie caps

OfflineComa of Souls
kunt whore

Loc: Vancouver island, British...
Re: Are there any deadly look alikes for liberty caps [Re: Unity333]
    #986248 - 10/23/02 12:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

notice almsot always they have a lil "nipple" on top :] and they wont really bruise blue bu there is usually a littl ebit of blueing on the stem if you look carefully most usually down near the base. and also aroudn the bottom edge of the cap usually a dakrk ring aorund the outside of the bottom of the cap from the spores... hope this helps..

--------------------
im a weeeeezel look at me *weeze* *weeze*

Invisiblekaal-kopje
the season is upon us..

Loc: below sea level
    #986618 - 10/23/02 02:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

There aren't many real poisonous mushrooms lookalikes growing in the same habitat as libs, as long as the sporeprint is black/darkpurple you should be safe. Just watch out for galerina autumnalis, highly poisonous it grows on scattered wood and has a rusty brown sporeprint. (slight possibility you could find them near libs)

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Are there any deadly look alikes for liberty caps [Re: angryshroom]
    #987733 - 10/23/02 10:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I did see that post that described them but it didn't say anything about deadly look alikes and that was my main concern so I thought I would post just in case.

Thanks for the info everyone. All of that helps.

I do have one more questions though. I don't know what this is can anyone explain it in a more simplified way?

separable gelatinous pellicle

Oh wait I guess I have more... Do any of the deadly look alikes have a dark purple spore print? Do any of them blue at all?

Edited by Karen (10/23/02 10:25 PM)

OfflineBoob Eye
Stranger
    #989103 - 10/24/02 10:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A few tips on lib IDs:

If you find them wet then they will be dark with a thin slimmy coating. This is the "separable gelatinous coating". As they dry they become much lighter like the pic posted by Unity 333 and the coating will become more sticky. If you want to see if your specimens have this coating just let them dry a little until they look like the ones on that pic. Then remove the cap from one mushroom, flip it over so the gills are facing up and gently split it in two. As the cap splits you should see the coating.

If your mushrooms are indeed libs then they will have this coating they will be noticeably sticky to the touch and the caps will turn much lighter as they dry. Also, it can be added that libs have a distinct spicy smell. If you want to test their smell, take a dozen, put them between paper towel and place in a box over night . A spicy smell should be evident.

Onlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #989351 - 10/24/02 12:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the separable gelatinous pellicle is a slimy membrane covering to pileus that can, with some care, be removed. i think it is a universal viel remnant, but not sure. it is not always present but often. the reason it is helpful is that if present you can easily rule out most similar* species. i know of no other mushrooms that bruis blue exept boletes(easy to distinguish, they have pores, not gills). i've heard something about a lactarius (or some kind of milky) that exudes a bluish latex but that would be completely diferent than bruising.
the reasom a say similar* is because there is realy no reasonable lookalike that i know of in the same habitat for semies (exept for, as MJ has suggested, the possibility that there are actualy a few similar species in the same habitat).

if you find a mushroom in the grass with a purple sporeprint, it bruises blue and it fits the bill for a semi, then it's probably a semi.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineRemiMartin
Loc: UK
Re: Are there any deadly look alikes for liberty caps [Re: canid]
    #989951 - 10/24/02 04:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

About the bruising blue, they do bruise blue but don't expect it to be like bruising on cubes, they are rarely bruised on arrival, and even after picking they don't always bruise. I find that about 50% will show some sign of bruising while drying.

I'm just trying to say that if you find somethat don't bruise blue then it doesn't mean they're not lib caps.

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Are there any deadly look alikes for liberty caps [Re: RemiMartin]
    #990490 - 10/24/02 08:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok thanks everyone I think I feel a lot more confident about being sure that I wouldn't accidently pick something deadly.

Thanks this really helped alot. If anyone else has any good tips I would be happy to hear it but I think this pretty much covered any doubts I might have.

Back to the park to pick some and get pictures.

Karen

OfflineJohnnytown2
Stranger
    #23674437 - 09/24/16 06:11 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Hey Inky Caps look alot like libs and have ablack spore print, they are edible but poisonous if you consume alcohol anywhere to a week after having them, they share alot of characteristics and even appear to bruise slightly but I believe that is the dark spores staining it just wanted to share that!

OfflineJoie
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Are there any deadly look alikes for liberty caps [Re: Johnnytown2] * 1
    #23674553 - 09/24/16 06:48 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

:justno:

How's life these days, Karen?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification