Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealen
journeyman
Perlite and verm casiings
    #424424 - 10/13/01 08:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Im planning on growing some shrooms using just a verm casing tek with brown rice flour cakes. i want to use perlite for humidification. but will it get too humid for casings?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealen
journeyman
Re: Perlite and verm casiings [Re: alen]
    #424524 - 10/13/01 11:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

bump

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

#424593 - 10/13/01 11:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

First off, you don't have to bump a post 2 hours after it was first sent in. Most posts won't get answered for about 12 hours or so, at least in my experience

Anyways, perlite works great for a bottom layer, but I'm not sure about casing with it. Having wet perlite on the bottom is great for making plenty of water available to the casing.

I might have heard of people using perlite on the top layer, but that could be a real problem if water drips down onto the mycelium itself

Grover

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #424656 - 10/14/01 12:42 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

perlite on the bottom of a terrarium tends to adjust the humidity automaticly, this is the reason it is popular, it is almost idiot-proof.

Offlinealen
journeyman
Re: Perlite and verm casiings [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #424660 - 10/14/01 12:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

perhaps the title of the thread was improperly worded. i want to know if i can use a layer of perlite in the bottom of my grow chamber to provide hummidification for my verm casings. perhaps i could have the casings suspended like 1 cm overtop of the perlite so all the perlite is exposed to the air. but then again, if perlite causes too much hummidification then mabe having the casing container resting atop of the perlite it would suppress some of the humidification caused by the perlite therefore making it perfect for the job. i dunno though . im asking you.

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #424689 - 10/14/01 01:20 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

okeydoke, perlite on the bottom tends to be a self-regulating method of humidification within a semi-closed terrarium. the only thing that one can alter is if the substrate is in direct contact with the perlite or not. if it is, then it will make a lot more moisture available to the substrate, and could cause too much humidity in a small overpopulated terrarium, but this is something that does not exist in the experiance of my neighbor's cat, only in theory. most people grow without direct contact at least at first, because there is a remote chance of contaming. growing on a shelf has to do with CO2, not moisture. again, this is for overpopulated terrarei.

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #424714 - 10/14/01 02:02 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Probably not.

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Perlite and verm casiings [Re: puscle]
    #424738 - 10/14/01 02:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You can use Perlite as the bottom layer of your casing, not just in the terrarium. Most just use moistened vermiculite, but it's also possible to have your casing look like this

TOP: wet verm casing layer
MID: substrate layer of ground cakes
BOTTOM: wet perlite providing humidification

Like you're saying, you can use perlite in the bottom of the terrarium if you want and it shouldn't be too much huimidity until you want to start pinning. in that case, it might be a good idea to fan the terrarium more than usual to start a drop in humidity and c02 levels, which should start pinning.

Otherwise, you can put perlite as your bottom layer of a casing for humidity, with the casing covered with Seran wrap to contain the humidity...that way you only use the terrarium when the pins grow too large for the Seran Wrap lid

Grover

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

OfflineSurf Bum
Re: Perlite and verm casiings [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #424744 - 10/14/01 02:46 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Fit as many casings as possible with perlite humidification in the bottom, and just add a 10$ airpump from the pet store, this will keep the humidity just right plus eliminates fanning for only 10$. just make sure you have a proper filter on the pump with a release valve at the opposite bottom end of the terrarium.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation