Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Perlite vs Verm for bottom of casing
    #3327023 - 11/06/04 10:23 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Okay... I'll update you guys again after all the 3rd flush. This is just a status check on one of my experiments...

6 BU PF jars were colonized using 270ml jars using 1:1 ratio of verm to BRF with 50cc water. Colonization time was 9 days plus 2 insurance days. Each cake was cut in half then crumbled. Half was used for perlite casing, and the other half was used for verm casing. Top casing layer is 60/40 coir at 1/2". Substrate came out to little more than 1 3/4". Two casings were patched once and incubated for 1 additional day, and now they are in coldshock. They'll be coldshocked for 2 days.

Okay.. here's what I noted so far.

Bottom Verm- 1" hard packed using finely ground vermiculite. Fully saturated. Very simple making the casing. Incubation after casing took 3days before patching and 1 day after at 84F.

Bottom Perlite- 1" prewashed, sterilized perlite. Dealing with washing and sterilizing perlite is definitely a lot more messy and a pain. Saturation was hard to achieve without free standing water on the bottom. Used about 1/4 of water to saturate compared to verm.
There was a problem trying to check for standing water. I used a 1" poly tubing vetically to give me a sight to the bottom. I set this in the corner. After making the casing and misting, I noticed the water accumulating on the bottom again. Used a sterile syring and needle to pull all the standing water out. It wasn't a lot.
Incubation time was same, but there is noticeably larger amount of growth. Before patching, some more water had to be pulled out from the bottom. Also noticed that top casing layer was a bit drier than verm bottom.

So far, it's been about same. The amount of work involved with perlite seems unreasonable. It's almost as much work as taking care of my cakes. At least with a piece of plastic sticking out, there is no way I could get them mixed up.

That's it. I'll post update in few weeks.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Perlite vs Verm for bottom of casing [Re: Sam1912]
    #3327067 - 11/06/04 10:43 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the update. Perlite for casings hasnt been covered very much here at the shroomery. Its good to know that the benefits of perlite (if any) dont outweight the drawbacks. I wonder if verm on the bottom covered in a thin layer of washed perlite would work better? Maybe dry(er) verm covered in saturated perlite would give better hydration and avoid standing water.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation