Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRodRoddy

Damn this finch seed!
    #418092 - 10/08/01 11:16 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

OK, I've had great success with the PF Tek, thus I decided to move onto something better. It's finch seed, and it suks my ass. Here's what I'm doing.

1: Boil roughly 7.5 cups of finch seed in a large pot for one hour. (taken from the Micron Magic suggested tek) This is supposed to make the seed take in just the right amount of water, seems sound to me?

2. Strain the hot seed and rinse with cool water. Then let sit for 10 minutes to drop excess water.

3. Scoop 2.5 cups of wet seed into quart jars.

4. Place Micron Magic filter disc followed by upside down jar lid and sealing bad on each jar.

5. Place jars in a canner filled with boiling water for 2 hours.

6. Remove jars and let cool over night.

7. Remove sealing band and jar lid (while wearing surgical gloves and breathing mask, very clean) take spore syringe from fridge use butane lighter to make the needle red hot. Use 99% alcohol to wipe needle off. and proceed to inject roughly 2 CCs per jar. wiping with alcohol between jars.

8. Hold second Micron Magic filter over jar as needle is removed. Never exposing jar to contams.

9. Place jars in nice place to fill with mycelium.

10. Smell the most horrible smell ever coming from my basement.

11. Realize for the second time, my jars must be totally fuked up for some reason. Get pissed and make this post.

Sorry to write so much. But I need to figure out what's wrong here. Is there some special finch seed I should be using? Must I use a pressure cooker rather than a simple canner? WTF man? This is driving me crazy. I don't want to use the PF Tek the rest of my life.

RodRoddy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Damn this finch seed! [Re: RodRoddy]
    #418103 - 10/08/01 11:24 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Your problem is most definetely the lack of a pressure cooker

OfflineRodRoddy

Re: Damn this finch seed! [Re: ]
    #418192 - 10/08/01 12:24 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Really? Why? I figured that boiling something for 2 hours would surely kill all bacteria. Is that not true?

Anonymous

Re: Damn this finch seed! [Re: RodRoddy]
    #418212 - 10/08/01 12:32 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

The hottest boiling water can get is like 210-212 degrees.
When in the pressure cooker, the water is able to get around 260 degrees.
Regular boiling water wont be able to penetrate the grain deep enough, and some things can survive that temperature.

InvisibleGrenade01
Loc: USA
Re: Damn this finch seed! *DELETED* [Re: ]
    #418333 - 10/08/01 02:20 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by Grenade01

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Damn this finch seed! [Re: Grenade01]
    #418365 - 10/08/01 02:59 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

my only success so far is with finch seed and i will tell you what i did. i filled my quart jars 2/3 with seed and hay mixture (like 10:1 mix; mostly seed) and added about a tablespoon of honey to it. then i added some water to the jars right outta the tap, [about 1/3 cup maybe?] and stuick them in the microwave with filter disks rubber-banded on the jars. miced for 10 min incraments (5 jars at a time) and kind of shook them around after each 10 min to get the moisture all over everything, although the steaming took pretty good care of that. kept doing this till i thought they were pretty fucking hot, prolly 3 times or so and then let them cool. i inocculated them all with a homemade syringe of cubensis acadian coast and waited. and waited. and waited. about 3 weeks and not the slightest hint of germination and i still to this day cannot figure out why. HOWEVER, there was no contamination at all and at this point i took some BRF cakes that did colonize and crumbled them and mixed that with the jars that [seemed] hopeless. cased with cedar mulch and peat moss 50/50 and had MASSIVE overlay in like 3 or 4 days. i deep scratched and it was right back hardcore in 36 hours. it never fruited, i only got a few pins but i am sure it was because it all dried out; i leave my setup at a friends house and i went out of town for a few days and it basically dried out to nothing (open casing in a dry room over a heater and he fucking didnt mist at all even tho i told him to). that part really pissed me off cos ive never seen myc grow like that, and im pretty sure it would have fruited quite nicely. But my personal view on boiling and straining is; ok, lets take a really nutrient rich substrate and boil all the vitamins and nutrients out of it and pour that good water down the drain. then, just in case there is decent residue left on the seeds, we had better wash that stuff off too. like i wrote earlier, it worked pretty good keeping all the water/nutrients right in the jar and not in your sink :) thats my 2 cents. i guess it depends what brand of seed you bought and maybe some ppl do it to rid the seed of preservatives or something but when i see that water turn dark after boiling, i think i owe it to my babies to feed it to them, not chuck it away. can anyone else comment on this?

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineRodRoddy

Re: Damn this finch seed! [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #419248 - 10/09/01 06:34 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Good thought, I know I do all my casing soil in Glad Microwave bags. I don't like boiling that shit. It takes forever. I don't know what to do about the Finch Seed. I don't want to keep wasting spores cause I am going to run out. Does anyone use special finch seed?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract