Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelovepalace
FunGuy
Male

Loc: God's Country
To what extreme do you go to stay contam free?
    #4180795 - 05/16/05 12:04 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

To what extreme do you go to stay contam free?

I may be new at this but I've done my homework. I'm set up in a unused bathroom which was sanitized from top to bottom at the start of this project. I use a glove box for all inoc./transfer work and have had a 0% contam rate in my jars. I have an ionic breeze with a UV sterilizer lamp that runs 24/7. Every time I enter the room I spray the air with Lysol and turn of the air filter and air pump so that there is little air movement. My terrarium is a plastic tub with perlite and an air pump / bubbler setup. The air pump has a built in filter disk and runs 24/7. My PF jars where 100% colonized at 21 days. Once birthed the lid was only removed twice, once after six days to make room for my first casing and once after eight days to mist my cakes because the tops where looking a little dry. 24 hours later I have green mold on two cakes. WTF!!! The only thing I have not done consistently is shower and change my close every time I enter the room and ware a face mask.

Now what kills me is I read a lot of posts about people growing in bedrooms, basements, closets and other various locations in there homes. Most of which are probably less sterile then mine. On top of that removing the lid and fanning and misting several times a day. Now wouldn't fanning be the most unsanitary thing you could do, literally blowing contams over your cakes? Yet I open my led twice and KA-BAM I got CONTAM. Not fare!

OK now that I'm done venting my question is this; To what extreme do you go to stay contam free?

Now I'm going to go buy a HEPA filter (another $100) because the $250 I spent on the ionic breeze was obviously a waste of money! I thought this was supposed to be an inexpensive hobby and cakes resistant to contams!

Oh well if at first you don't succeed try and try again. :stoned:

--------------------
Reality is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: lovepalace]
    #4180796 - 05/16/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i pressure cook my substrates.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisibledeathbychimney
45th GenerationRoman
    #4180801 - 05/16/05 12:08 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i think all of that is a little excessive personally

you should read consumer reports on air filters because if i recall correctly ionic breeze brand filters did pretty poorly

i just use a still-air glove box sprayed with isopropyl. i wash my hands a lot, and spray the air in the room i'm working in with isopropyl.

edit: and yeah, PC.

--------------------
diarrhea takes over your life

Edited by deathbychimney (05/16/05 12:14 AM)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: deathbychimney]
    #4181139 - 05/16/05 02:07 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Think about this...

When I get contams (from indoor fgrowing), I bury them outside, whether it be cakes or casings...Whatever...They contams Usually end up dying and Mushies grow...

See my Avatar? :smirk:

Def. not much of a clean freak

Quote:

i pressure cook my substrates.

:thumbup:

-Gnostic

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4181493 - 05/16/05 08:08 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i work in my kitchen when i do my work. i just wash up all the dishes and put them away, wipe down the counters/ stove with bleach then spry the air down with alchohol and spry my hands with it to then spry all my equipment down with the alchohol to and wipe dry with a papertowle. other than besides sprying my hands down with alchohol anytime i touch something that hasnt been cleaned thats about it. then i preshure cook my jars just like normal, let them cool inside the preshure cooker, usuly over night then i get ziplock baggies and spry them down with alchohol and whipe them dry with a papertowl and quick place the jars inside the baggies. sterilize the needle with a alchol lamp till red hot wipe needle with alchohl swab pull jars out of baggie as needed inoc and place first aid tape over the inoc holes or one of those round bandaids over the holes. if your cakes dry out your not saposta spray them directly with water, that increases your chances of contams, you should put them in a sterilized ziplock baggie and fill it up with ditiled water and place in frige 12-24 hrs and then place back in terrarium. as far as fanning your box spray the room down with lysol, oust, alchohol what ever you like to use, and turn off all air flow. u need to fan your box out atleast a cople times aday to remove the CO2 and get some fresh air in there to help your mushies grow up big and strong!!:)

well you can take my info for what its worth.. im still a noob:( but i read alot:)

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #4181581 - 05/16/05 09:00 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

well, some but not all of the main sources of contamination are air, tools, substrate,and the cultivator. i keep my holmes hepa filter & ionizer on 24/7 like you do, i soak all my tools in alcohol usually 91% then flame sterilize the parts that will be touching the mycellia. the substrates are always sterilized BRF @60min 15 p.s.i. and bulk is pasteurized for 3 hours at 170F. i spray the surface of the work area with alcohol prior 2 working. As for me i don't change my clothes but i do have a friend spray me down with lysol before i enter the sterile enviroment.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4181598 - 05/16/05 09:08 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

1) Sterilize spawn in pressure cooker.

2) Swab any contact utensils with isopropyl.

3) Keep up air exchange during fruiting cycle.

You don't need flow hoods or sterile grow rooms to be successful, most of that is overdone around here. Work fast, wear gloves and a dust mask, and you can do anything in this hobby without the high end equipment. You can do professional work without professional equipment. Pressure cooker is a must though.

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Loc: Reject the concept of loc...
    #4181607 - 05/16/05 09:11 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

well, i almost never had any contam. in two years of low intensity growing (approx 6-8 jars a month) i had contam maby five or six times (say around twelve - fifteen jars total). mainly bacteria (before i learned proper proportions of water/sub), but a few times i also had molds on colonizing subs.

once the substrate/casing is colonized... its pretty hardy, and pretty much takes care of itself.

i just made sure to do all procedures where uncolonized substrate got exposed in a glovebox (a very crude one).

just make sure the glovebox is clean inside. and sterilize stuff in bags/foil that can be removed when bringing it into the glovebox so it stays clean.

aside from that... sterilize all metal utensils in a alufoil pack in the oven (30-40 min @ 180-220c).

and don't place the grow in the fruitingchamber before/ keep it covered until/ the casing is ready.

the few times i had contam its been due to; happy-go-lucky attitude towards substrate sterilization, or a nonchalant, devil-may-care stylee of inoculation/graintransfer.

--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4181620 - 05/16/05 09:25 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

read this post
Rehydrating spores?!!! With pics
blew my mind, no concerns for tahoe.

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: backupwards]
    #4181649 - 05/16/05 09:44 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i just wash my hands, alcohol wipe everything and flame tools. i do most of my work in the oven to help prevent contams since im poor and have no flowhood

--------------------

Offlinelovepalace
FunGuy
Male

Loc: God's Country
    #4181692 - 05/16/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I guess I need to rephrase the question.

I'm curious what type of areas you fruit in and what extreme you go to in order to keep it clean?

I'm sure that most of you, like me, are high tech. By that I mean you use HEPA filters in the room, filter boxes for your humidifiers or air pumps, clove boxes for transfer work, and work in enclosed clean rooms hardly ever even opening the grow chambers. But I read about a lot of low tech setups that don't have air filters and filter boxes and enclosed clean room. Some people even grow in open air tubs like in a Martha setup. People that open there grow chambers several times a day and fan and mist and are still successful. I work in a clean room, open my chamber twice and get contams! That's BULL@#$%!

By the way I PC every thing! Jars, tools, substrate, casing mix the whole works. The pressure cooker was the first thing I purchased and definitely the best tool in my house, worth every penny!

Quote:

if your cakes dry out your not saposta spray them directly with water, that increases your chances of contams, you should put them in a sterilized ziplock baggie and fill it up with ditiled water and place in frige 12-24 hrs and then place back in terrarium.

then how do you mist the chamber?
Quote:

As for me i don't change my clothes but i do have a friend spray me down with lysol before i enter the sterile enviroment.

good idea!
Quote:

You don't need flow hoods or sterile grow rooms to be successful, most of that is overdone around here. Work fast, wear gloves and a dust mask, and you can do anything in this hobby without the high end equipment. You can do professional work without professional equipment.

Unless you are me, and that is exactly my point!

--------------------
Reality is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4181749 - 05/16/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i jus use lysol in the air whenever i do carboard work, g2g transfers, and i also use that antibacterial hand sanitizing gel that is 62% alcohol, i rub that on my hands and up my forearms befor ehandling jars. i also recomend wearing a dustmask during g2g transfers, inoculation, etc. and the ionic breeze is a good investment no need for another hepa filter. the glove box should be sprayed with lysol and or isopropyl and dried out before using. and finally like everyone else has said, preesure cooking substrates at at least 15 psi is a must!

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4182543 - 05/16/05 02:34 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I just use a ghetto glovebox I made that I wipe out with alcohol beforehand. I don't even wash my hands sometimes lol. I do all my sporework, LC, noccing jars, and preparing my casings in the glovebox. When working with wbs/rye/brf, I don't worry about anything really because it is going into the PC. After PCing, I only open stuff in the glovebox to work with it. I do wash my hands, wipe them with alcohol, and spray lysol when I am picking and dunking my casings. I just use tap water though.

As for my grow area, I am running a couple greenhouses and some Pods. I like to spread my casings around just in case of contam, to minimize losses if possible. I fan 2-3 times a day, and mist with tap water. I was at about 2% contam rate during my pf tek runs, and thats around 500 jars total, over a few months. I have switched to casings now, and have only had 1 contam out of 20 so far. You don't have to be as clean as some people suggest, but if you are having more contams than you can accept, try to clean up your procedures. I'm not real sure what could be causing your contams though.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Offlinecarl
Revolutionary
Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #4182576 - 05/16/05 02:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Ummm i am most likely the most unsanitary person here when it comes to doing this. Never is anything cleaned or hands washed or anything lysoled. I have never had contam problems and plan on keeping it that way.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: carl]
    #4183406 - 05/16/05 05:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I have tried to teach a friend to use my flowhood. Essentially, we both did the same prep. We washed our hands and used alcohol gel periodically. My friend has no hair, but I tied mine back. The result?

Me: 0 contams
Him: Damn near everything he inoculated contamed, lol. I tried to help him with technique, but of course he had to make the mistake before I could tell him not to do it.

My conclusion: with proper equipment, avoiding contams is 99.99% technique.

It can be put no simpler than this. Sterility is an absolute measure. Either it is or it isn't.

If something is intended to remain sterile, then it cannot come into contact with anything that isn't sterile.
The air, your breath, your fingers, everything but the air coming from your HEPA is fully laden with contams.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #4183543 - 05/16/05 06:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

besides pressure cooking my wbs jars, i wipe down a little piece of my desk area (where i spend alot of time) w/ isopropyl alcohol and proceed to flame the needle and wipe the inoculation point before and after inoculation. when i print all i do is try to work fast and make sure things are wiped down. i also try not to breathe while i'm innoculating or making a print or syringe, because that moves air around.

i'm not very clean and my results are really good.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: To what extreme do you go to stay contam free? [Re: TODAY]
    #4184546 - 05/16/05 10:45 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

lovepalace:

to spray your box down wash your hands with whatever u use, i always just spry mine with alchol and wipe with papertowles , then spray the walls with your waterbottlte. adjust your mist so its not a stright jet of water but not all mist.. if that make any sence but if u have to hold your hand out to protect the cake from getting misted.. even if pools of water on cakes dont spred contams.. you dont want to drown your mycl in that spot...

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#4184668 - 05/16/05 11:34 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i just knock up at the works sever room put jars in a sealed tub and take home come back in a week when its time to spawn then in a sealed tub take that home

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Loc: Reject the concept of loc...
    #4185469 - 05/17/05 05:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lovepalace said:
I guess I need to rephrase the question........................................

I'm sure that most of you, like me, are high tech. By that I mean you use HEPA filters in the room, filter boxes for your humidifiers or air pumps, clove boxes for transfer work, and work in enclosed clean rooms hardly ever even opening the grow chambers......................................

the first seven-eight months or so i used two plastic tubs with seethru lids for fruiting. these were placed on top of a box on my kitchen floor, close to the radiator (not the cleanest of places even in an ideal world).

and i would open and fan them with the lid several times a day. my only guard against contam was the 0.5-1% h2o2 in the water i used for spraying.

no hepa, no filters, and not even a proper glovebox (i used a big seethough plasticbag. still i must say i think i had deacent harvests.

dont worry, you just had a fluke of bad luck and got some contam. it can happen to anyone no matter how advanced their setup. im sure it will go better next time.

--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Offlinetracerz
edible eater
Loc: wa forest
    #4185559 - 05/17/05 07:18 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Do those that fan in room air and make syringes/prints from it do fine? pf printing tek states put cap in jar in clean filtered area. But will putting cap on jar under foil to bring to GB work just as well like 9er tek it didn't say whether the fruits were in a clean space.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order