Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOmegaRed
Myco-Floydianenthusiast

Loc: right behind you
Target contam rate before moving on.
    #1527318 - 05/07/03 11:21 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I started 12 PF jars several weeks ago and now the first of them is just about ready to birth. I did have a depressingly high contam rate though (50%). After reading more into the process and thinking back I realize there are several steps where I should have been a little more careful with contams. On another post I was told that I should get the PF tek down before I tried doing anything with casing. What is a good contam rate? Obviously 0% contaminated is desireable, but what is a good target before a newbie moves onto other teks?

--------------------
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there's no place I'm going to.
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebansheee
Novice

Loc: where its sunny
Re: Target contam rate before moving on. [Re: OmegaRed]
    #1527344 - 05/07/03 11:29 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It should be 0% w/ pf cakes, but its up to you. Its a bigger lose if you but all your cakes in a casing and you lose it to contams. Do a lil more experimenting before casing, IMHO

--------------------
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. - Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Target contam rate before moving on. [Re: OmegaRed]
    #1527390 - 05/07/03 11:42 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It took my foaf about 6 months of tinkering with bulk spawn, substrates & casing, to get his contam rate down to around 3%. Getting an AA PC, building a flow hood, constructing a small quasi/clean room area & polishing procedures was what it took.

Funny how it works. First few bulk grows were ~0~ contam. Then, you think you know your shitzz & get a little lazy, thinking this is stone cold easy. Then, a contam or 2 sets in & creates lots of headaches. You tweak, study, ponder & find why/where they came from & resolve it. Then, gnats set in & you resolve that.

It takes time, patiance & diligence to get near a contam free rate. It almost takes a lifestyle change.

6T  :wink:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Target contam rate before moving on. [Re: SixTango]
    #1527442 - 05/07/03 11:57 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

with PF i never had any contams unless it was obviously a bad syringe. i was anally careful my 1st few runs with PF. I still do PF because not only do I know it is guaranteed yield but the whole tek can be infinitely improved upon what with dunking, end casing, crumbling, etc. I've gotten 55g dry from a single cake that was properly end cased and dunked between flushes. Bulk is far riskier. I'm sure my contam rates would go down if i could ever build a flowhood. Cobweb is my only yet unbeatable enemy. Enclosed clean room, multiple HEPA filters, regular bleach moppings, liberal use of alcohol spritz, face masks, shirtless, barefoot, showers, closely cropped hair, latex gloves, instant removal at first sign of contam... what more can you do? Stamets says 20% is maximum contam rate to be tolerated. I'd say more like <10%. It seems once a contam gets started it spreads and sticks around.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Target contam rate before moving on. [Re: debianlinux]
    #1527463 - 05/07/03 12:06 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

It seems once a contam gets started it spreads and sticks around.

Yup............ no kidding. My foaf had to tear down & sterilize a walk in grow room, because tric spores got loose & set up house keeping in it.

Swabbed, mop, sprayed & spritzed the whole place with a product called "Control Plus" on floor, walls, ceiling, racks to rid the place of them. Also installed a "positive pressure" ULPA air filtration system into it.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Anonymous

Re: Target contam rate before moving on. [Re: SixTango]
    #1527827 - 05/07/03 02:02 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Threads like this scare the crap out of me because I get to thinkiing, I'm analy sterile (oven tek, clean kitchen, mask, lysol, alchohol wipes, PC, bleached rubber maids, etc) but then I read that people like you still have contam problems.

OfflineOmegaRed
Myco-Floydianenthusiast

Loc: right behind you
Re: Target contam rate before moving on. [Re: ]
    #1527900 - 05/07/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Flom, what kind of comtam rate are you looking at. From the sounds of it you take a lot more precaution than I did. My first run my objective was simply to get some mushrooms, now I'm ready to start a second run (gonna use the PF/MMGG tek again until I get sterility under control). From looking at the procedures that everyone else uses I could definately stand to clean up a little better before innoculation which is where I picked up 90% of my contams (orangeish color developing around uncolonized innoc sites).

--------------------
I'm not sleepy and there's no place I'm going to.
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Target contam rate before moving on. [Re: ]
    #1528044 - 05/07/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Threads like this scare the crap out of me because I get to thinkiing, I'm analy sterile (oven tek, clean kitchen, mask, lysol, alchohol wipes, PC, bleached rubber maids, etc) but then I read that people like you still have contam problems. 

LOL, you're not doing shroomin much, if you don't have a contam pop out now & again.

They are just part of it & you have to deal with them. Before the fact, is MUCH better than after the fact.

This outbreak was my foaf's own fault. He was starting about a 50 pound tray of substrate (mortor mix tub). He sterilized the tray, added the pasturized compost & had emptied about a dozen quarts of WBS span into it & mixed it all in.

He decided it needed one more quart of spawn, he opened one (checking the surface of the WBS - in the open jar - for any spot contam - there - as always & none was).

So he turned the jar upside down & was digging out the spawn over the tray (so it fall into it). While doing so - he noticed a tiny puff of blue spore cloud come out of the jar. He looks in it & sure enough............tric :frown:.

So the whole tray is f*cked. He gets a bit angry at all the waisted time - effort & material & rather than remove the tray, right then. He covers it with a garbage sack & slides the whole tray under the work table (just to get it out of the way).

He burns a blunt, decides enough for a day & heads out. He doesnt return for about 5 days. When he does, he realizes he left that tray on the floor, under the work table. He reaches down to slide it out & the plastic bag that was just covering it, PULLS OFF in his hand like a flag waving.

The temp was 82 F. The whole surface of the tray was now a thriving colony of tric.

When STUPID.......... pulled the bag off, he must have scattered a BILLION tric spores into the room ( 8 X 8 X 20 steel cargo container).

He kicked on a 1000 CFM 24 X 24 X 12 hepa, spayed lysol & tried to mininize the contamination.

Long story short. Next two grows show up with tric, after casing.

End result......tear it down to the walls, sterilize everything in it & floor to ceiling & walls, then start fresh. Giant PITA.

But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :wink:  So, he did & all is well now. :grin:

6T :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract