Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4177470 -

Huehuecoyotl said:
All I am saying is people should do what is right without allowing their self interest to become a factor. You have a problem with this simple idea...so should people NOT do what they think is right?



The problem as I see it Hue, is that you are the one determining what is right and if people don't agree with your conclusions on right than they are not using their moral compass.

You gave it away to me when you said that half of the folks on the Boy/Man thing were copping out. Was I one of them because I didn't agree with your concept of right? Ha. I thought you were copping out. Thats what my moral compass was telling me about you. And many of your other views I would never consider right for me.

I just don't understand where you are comming from and what the logic of it is. You make a statement that everyone has a moral compass but if their ideas don't agree with your moral code, then they are not using it. I have a strong code of ethics and use it in place of societies moral code, because it often doesn't meet my standard for the highest good.

Just because I see the world very differently on some issues then you do, doesn't mean I don't hold myself to the highest ethical standards my compass (heart) knows. :mushroom2:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Icelander]
    #4177624 -

"You gave it away to me when you said that half of the folks on the Boy/Man thing were copping out. Was I one of them because I didn't agree with your concept of right?"

I would have no way of knowing that. Only you know...that is the nature of morality. There is a reason that many of my views are not right for you...you are not me. We are all of us individuals and are therfore different. This is a fundamental property of humans. The quality I was discussing was NOT compromising one's own integrity. The standards for integrity are different across the human race, but should be well defined within the individual.

"Bother me tomorrow, today, I'll buy no sorrows"
-CCR


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Icelander]
    #4177630 -

i think you should do whats right, but sometimes doing whats right helps to build the machine to better oppress you. i dont think you should go out and start doing whatever you want, but to some degree you need to do what you want or else life will be boring and meaningless. im strongly belive in anti-opression, anti-racisim, anti-feminism, just anything that puts another human down, but then again most humans deserve pain and suffering for doing all of the afor mentioned wrongs.


--------------------
________zombie_________

??????? ??  :bubs:??????????:tombstone:


Nirvana7=the enlightenment AND the band

Edited by Nirvana7 (05/15/05 09:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4177703 -

Huehuecoyotl said:
"You gave it away to me when you said that half of the folks on the Boy/Man thing were copping out. Was I one of them because I didn't agree with your concept of right?"

I would have no way of knowing that. Only you know...that is the nature of morality. There is a reason that many of my views are not right for you...you are not me. We are all of us individuals and are therfore different. This is a fundamental property of humans. The quality I was discussing was NOT compromising one's own integrity. The standards for integrity are different across the human race, but should be well defined within the individual.



"Bother me tomorrow, today, I'll buy no sorrows"
-CCR 



Well I don't know how one would know for sure if someone else is compromising their integrity. I would have to use my own views to judge theirs. I might be right sometimes and maybe not and I wouldn't ever know for sure. To be "sure" I would have to assume my views were the final views on right and wrong. That would be egotistical on my part.

If you're speaking in general that we all should aspire to not compromise our intregrity then of course I agree and it goes without saying.

I just assumed because you mentioned the man/boy thread , you were refering to your personal subjective belief system, on who or who is not using their "moral compass". Also you brought up a certain persons held beliefs on other topics. I had to wonder at that point, what your motives were for starting the topic. That's all. :mushroom2:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Ravus]
    #4177740 -

Ravus said:
I'd say abolish this "moral compass", as chances are the majority of it are biased and reactionary. Create your own ways of living and thinking, as otherwise you are just following the herd.



Damn right! Do what ye will so long as it harms no other. :sun:

Paradigm said:
People should EXAMINE their beliefs about right or wrong rather than passively accepting them, just as they should do with any other beliefs.

"The unexamined life is not worth living." -- Socrates



For one to "Harm none"; that individual must examine his/her reactions and decisions which are largely drawn from beliefs and ideologies. I personally believe that this "moral Compass" is non-existent and is a culturally based system of values adopted by it's members.

Somewhere along the line someone will get hurt; it serves a man/woman right if he/she examines their beliefs regularly to try to avoid such situations. We; as humans; may make  more informed and educated decisions when it involves other human beings, if we take the time to examine and plan our actions and reactions.

Just my 2 cents... :smirk:

Edited by entheoindole (05/15/05 10:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Icelander]
    #4177760 -

"Well I don't know how one would know for sure if someone else is compromising their integrity."

Only that person would know. I just know that there is never a shortage of people who like to blindly agree in life just to gain acceptance. My message was for them. I don't know who they are...only they do.


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4179071 -

Which way is right? North or south?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Moralities Moonshoe 620 6 06/23/04 01:37 AM
by mycil
* Morals & religion (christian accountabilty cont.) joeshitragpicker 919 5 01/30/04 10:40 AM
by jpod
* A debate on the subject of the morality of drug use. neuro 1,944 7 02/21/03 05:10 AM
by Sclorch
* Do Basic Human Morals Exist
( 1 2 all )
mrfreedom 5,523 24 05/28/02 07:55 AM
by Sclorch
* Does Morality hinder Evolution?
( 1 2 all )
deff 4,557 33 08/13/04 01:43 PM
by Swami
* the individual Lenore 2,469 12 12/17/01 04:13 PM
by Ulysees
* can you prove the existence of absolute, objective morality?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
Anonymous 23,314 157 12/21/04 06:31 AM
by deafpanda
* Question for moral objectivists
( 1 2 all )
silversoul7 4,166 31 06/14/03 10:42 AM
by NewToTrippin

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,662 topic views. 1 members, 4 guests and 29 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 17 queries.