Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Standing up for what is right
    #4173015 - 05/13/05 10:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If you look within yourself you will find a moral compass. If you look upon it in an unbiased fashion, unclouded by your personal desires, you will see that it usually points in the direction of truth. Often, people allow their physical and psychological greed to cloud its face. At other times we may ignore it because others tell us to "lighten up" or "be cool". It is often hard to follow what you know is right when others allow themselves to overlook these truths out of self interest. When you know you stand on the path of truth your heart will tell you so. Let no other fork your path with deception or temptation even if all of your "friends" turn against you. Doing the right thing is never easy.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4173050 - 05/13/05 10:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I agree. :thumbup: I run my life this way. A path with heart is the only thing of interest to me. What others think about me is none of my business. I try each day to live and die by what my heart says. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4173280 - 05/14/05 12:31 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

How do you know this "moral compass" is not merely society's conditioning? Why do some people's moral compasses tell them to fly a plane into the World Trade Center while others' tell them to picket the funerals of gay people with signs that say "God hates fags"? How are we to determine which aspects of our morality are genuine?

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Silversoul]
    #4173609 - 05/14/05 03:30 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
How do you know this "moral compass" is not merely society's conditioning?  Why do some people's moral compasses tell them to fly a plane into the World Trade Center while others' tell them to picket the funerals of gay people with signs that say "God hates fags"?  How are we to determine which aspects of our morality are genuine?

Well, if they do something that doesn't agree with our "moral compass", then we can say that they didn't look at their own moral compass correctly because of self interest.  :rolleyes:

Morality is not inherent, no concept is. It is a result of the programming that your mind has developed, and the more one considers this to be some innate, right thing that should not be questioned, but blindly followed by one's heart, in some egostistical notion of standing agansit the world for the truth, the more probable it is that this person is going to bring more harm than good.

Morality is a conventionality that we may or may not choose to particpate, it isn't some unquestionable force from deep within that we follow, despite what anyone else might think. That sort of belies the whole concept of morality, doesn't it? I mean, morality is essentially involved with the way we act and treat others, and here we are saying "fuck everyone else, i will bring the truth!, anyone gets in my way and they will be buried".

Or something. :grin:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4173614 - 05/14/05 03:42 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yes!  :thumbup: :lol:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: egghead1]
    #4173622 - 05/14/05 03:48 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I just woke up, I found it difficult enough to simply stand up, let alone stand up for what is right. :lol:

Perhaps a little bit of an old-fashioned wake-and-bake will cure that. :stash:

Seriously, though, I just woke up, and I wasn't firing at all cylinders when I made that post. For example, "despite what anyone else might think" was in reference to that we follow it, despite what anyone else might think, instead of "it isn't this unquestionable force, despite what anyone else might think".

Maybe in a few hours I'll come along and write it again from a better state of mind... :nut:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #4174079 - 05/14/05 09:57 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

if I stood up for what I believe is right, there would be a lot of people in the bottom of the lake right now.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: DoctorJ]
    #4174100 - 05/14/05 10:08 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
if I stood up for what I believe is right, there would be a lot of people in the bottom of the lake right now.

See any contradiction here? :rolleyes:

Be Excellent to Eachother

AND

PARTY ON, DUDES!!!!

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #4174341 - 05/14/05 11:34 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If I were a bald eagle I would eat miniaturized dogs in the park all day.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #4174432 - 05/14/05 12:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

For a bald eagle that is moral and just.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4174445 - 05/14/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Different cultures develop different moral standards. It is only deviant when the morals of an individual differ in a fundamental way from the society that they were brought up in and live. Some individuals differ so broadly that it is in the interests of society to have them confined. If you enter another radically different society adjustments might need to be made.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Icelander]
    #4174473 - 05/14/05 12:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

DoctorJ said:

See any contradiction here? :rolleyes:

Be Excellent to Eachother

AND

PARTY ON, DUDES!!!!

hahahaha

you're never gonna get it

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4174573 - 05/14/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Then you do indeed confirm that this "moral compass" is determined by not only the species it is used in, but even on culture and time of that species? And we have all seen that cultures are not only often misguided, much of the time they are flat out wrong and prejudicial towards certain groups. If this is the case, then our moral compass also would follow that.

After all, it was against the moral compass of the majority in the South to allow the despicable act of a black man marrying a white women, or for a black man to gain freedom, but now that the time has changed, many look back on that and disagree. Who knows what the future will look back on and see in our moral compasses?

I'd say abolish this "moral compass", as chances are the majority of it are biased and reactionary. Create your own ways of living and thinking, as otherwise you are just following the herd.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Ravus]
    #4174670 - 05/14/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You think I am discussing conformity; you are wrong. The crux of what I am saying here is that inside ourselves we all have a sense of right and wrong. The moral compass thing is me just trying to be well worded...it is not real...just a concept I used to define our individual sense of right and wrong. This is dependent on the individual and the culture. I am not talking about conforming. Sometimes one's sense of morality is at odds with many aspects of society. It is the individual's call. My post is about the avoidance of compromising your integrity because of physical desire, greed, or for acceptance. When one does this they ARE aware of it. Some come to believe that compromising what you know to be right is no big deal and they become desensitized to their individual values. I am only saying that one should do what they KNOW to be right without compromise. To have integrity is one of the most important aspects of being human. I have come to feel that over half of the members of this board will agree to the most heinous things imaginable in order to gain acceptance from fellow board members who want to promote the idea that there is no right or wrong...good or evil. Yes, there I said it...half of this forum want to belong so badly they will condone anything in order to gain that acceptance. See the Man/Boy thread for evidence.

--------------------

Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

#4174712 - 05/14/05 01:36 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

To the original poster and topic: I beleive you are right, that underneath all the 'conditioning' and cloudy events that fog up the compass, we're are all one of the same. The only problem is, the cloud is so think it appears, at least it is for me. Lets say when it's time to do the 'right' thing, I conform to social standards instead of doing the right thing at times, because my identity is more imoprtant to me. This is not really how I feel, but this is what most often I end up doing. It's wrong and it has me prisoner (refer to my enslaved thread for mre info) and I'm weak and I'm trying my best. For now I have a plan ad hopefully I will be able to follow my heart (moral compass) soon enough.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4174807 - 05/14/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Different cultures develop different moral standards. It is only deviant when the morals of an individual differ in a fundamental way from the society that they were brought up in and live. Some individuals differ so broadly that it is in the interests of society to have them confined. If you enter another radically different society adjustments might need to be made.

So then you're advocating cultural relativism? So if it's customary for beat their wives in a certain country, then it's alright as long as you're in that country?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Standing up for what is right [Re: Silversoul]
    #4174845 - 05/14/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

All things must be considered in proper measure. You are twisting my words.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4174863 - 05/14/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Or perhaps your words aren't clear enough.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4174878 - 05/14/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I emulate my late step-dad's ways as my moral compass, Help all who ask where ever possible, and always have compassion in your heart. It works for me!

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#4175392 - 05/14/05 04:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I am only saying that one should do what they KNOW to be right without compromise.

I'm terrified of people who do what they 'know' is 'right'
Everyone is righteous in their own eyes.

Edited by MushmanTheManic (05/14/05 04:33 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale