Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
morel & shaggy mane spores
    #4153470 - 05/09/05 03:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i'd like to start growing coprinus comatus and morchella (still have to decide the species). how can i take prints of these mushrooms? sorry about the newbie question, but coprinus have liquefying spores, morels are ascomycetes, and obviously i can't take prints as i usually do with gilled mushrooms...

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: morel & shaggy mane spores [Re: lepiota]
    #4153791 - 05/09/05 05:07 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You can just put the morels on their side on paper/foil to get spores. Shaggy manes are tougher since the spores do go liquidy. However, some of the spores do get airborne while the main mass turns to black goo. You might try standing up a mature shaggy mane (in the natural position) by sliding the hollow stem over a chop stick secured in some modeling clay. Put the modeling clay in the bottom of a bowl so the bowl can catch the ink. Place a sterile open petri dish under the shaggy mane but off to the side to avoid the ink. You should probably raise the petri dish up a bit on some extra clay to keep it from floating on a lake of ink. Cover the whole thing with a clean container (bucket, large bowl) and wait for complete meltdown. You should get a good amount of fairly clean spores this way.

This is just a thought experiment based on observations of spore deposits on a humidity tent by mature shaggy manes and I haven't actually attempted it. Besides spores on the inside of the tent, a visible layer of spores was observed a few meters away from ground zero. Make sure the spore collecting chamber is well sealed and not inside a sterile laboratory (if you want to keep it sterile)

An easier and more reliable method of securing strains is simple cloning of tissue from wild specimens on agar. Shaggy manes and morels are very easy species to clone.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: morel & shaggy mane spores [Re: Workman]
    #4155915 - 05/10/05 02:56 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yes i know it is easier to clone it but i wanted something i could send or get by mail and that i could store for months before use, this is why i wanted the print. i'll go for a test tube culture maybe...

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms