Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
monster growing down thru casing! (K.S.S.S. pics, 1st attempt)
    #4086223 - 04/22/05 09:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

so i made the mistake of not putting anything on my tub to keep light comign from above, and now there are a number of shrooms groing in random directions, but there is one big fatty growign straight down. the only reason i knew it was there is because i lifted it up to look for any that were really confused...but the cap appears to be over an inch across, should i wait and see if it pushed the above network up so that i have access to it, do i say screw it and puck that section out (its kinda in the corner and the pinset isnt exactly optimal) or do i just wait till the fluch is done and snatch it before i dunk if its still any good?

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Edited by starseed1066 (04/23/05 03:08 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: monster growing down thru casing! [Re: starseed1066]
    #4086821 - 04/23/05 12:38 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

get it out now because it could start rotting the same thing happen to me i waited and it got huge died and rotted i was very upset because it was like my first time and it was fucking huge. Lifted a quarter of my substrate up.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: monster growing down thru casing! [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4087121 - 04/23/05 02:04 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

If the cap's not black (means its abhorting) then let it grow

As long as it doesn't rot you'll be fine...

Gl

-Gnostic

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: monster growing down thru casing! [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4087285 - 04/23/05 03:05 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

well dammit i couldnt handle knowing it was down there, so i reached in, plucked it out, and stuck it right side up in the hole it left, since it still had a good hunk of mycellium hooked to it. i doubt like hell its going to grow anymore, but you know, just for the sake of science.

here's a pic of the cake:

and one of a casing: (you can see the beast in the corner!)

and what the heck, here's the little fat boys a day and a half ago:

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Edited by starseed1066 (04/23/05 03:07 AM)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4087418 - 04/23/05 03:59 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Aw they;re cute fatties lol

Looks like you didn't make your sub. level...or didn't put you casing level even or didn't patch and then incubate....

Should have put it in the FC when myc. was just below the surface ALL through-out the casing...

Good stuff though :thumbup:

I sent you a PM btw :wink:

gl

-Gnostic

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: monster growing down thru casing! [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4087847 - 04/23/05 09:50 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

heh, all of the above is more or less correct, except for the patching part. i didnt use quite as much of the cakes as i should have for the layer, i didnt let it get far enough into the casing before i introduces fresh air and light. my cakes were so overlayed from just sitting in the jars too long i got antsy hehe.

but i'm emboldened by my total lack of contamination thus far, so i'm doing to dunk all i can salvage as soon as this flush is over. maybe its not too late just yet :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #4087872 - 04/23/05 10:16 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

how deep is your substrate of the casing with the fatties?

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: monster growing down thru casing! [Re: Roadkill]
    #4087889 - 04/23/05 10:31 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

not very deep, unfortunately. when i was reading the casing instrustions it said "crumble cakes to cover perlite layer" or something to that effect. it didnt say how deep. so i guessed (wrong :smile:) the susstrate is prolly 3/4 to 1 and 1/2 deep; i didnt know i could layer it thicker (due to the mycelium's tendancy to form new networks with its own strain) or that thicker substrate meant bigger fruits/more even pinset.

but now i know  :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #4087909 - 04/23/05 10:48 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

yes using like 4" to 6" of substrate will produce larger fruit.

---

which casing material are you using?

it looks nice!~

:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: monster growing down thru casing! [Re: Roadkill]
    #4089349 - 04/23/05 08:09 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i did peat moss and verm, close to 50/50. i could find any lime or whatever, but i knew oyster shell calcium tables are calcium carbonate, so i ground a couple of those up and tossed em in :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation