Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Papaver Somniferum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewhatever123
Whatever I did, I'm sorry
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Diego, CA
Poppies- Developing special traits.
    #4073076 - 04/19/05 04:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I am in Southern California, and I recently I have become interested in the idea of plant adaptation. I want to develop a poppy that will require next to no watering. Here is what I mean: I have some giganteum seeds, and I have planted them. I am going to water them very little, and in some patches, not at all. I then plan on taking the seeds from the plants that survive and planting a new crop with them. Once again, I will water them after planting and then very little, if at all. I want to do this for several generations. As I said earlier, my goal is to develop a poppy that is extremely drought resistant, and is used to Southern California weather and will in turn thrive in it. Basically, I plan on making a plant that produces seeds that you can simply toss on the ground and ignore, and instead of having the usual couple plants out of thousands of seeds, you will have a much higher rate of survival. In essence, toss several thousand seeds on the ground and harvest several hundred poppies later. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make this experiment work? Keep in mind that I want a plant that requires just about no work, so I do not want to be providing the plants with any care that the future generations will be deprived of when left to nature's care. What do you guys think?

--------------------
Koala Koolio said:
there should be a 3 month waiting period between registration and posting. :wink:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewhatever123
Male User Gallery

Re: Poppies- Developing special traits. [Re: whatever123]
    #4075006 - 04/20/05 12:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Bump.
Does anyone have any ideas? I am very serious about this and want this to be a success. I would appreciate any input

--------------------
Koala Koolio said:
there should be a 3 month waiting period between registration and posting. :wink:

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
    #4075693 - 04/20/05 04:40 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

well you've got the technique right!

What you basically want to do is sow a patch thats as large as you can make it, treat it like you want it, and strive for high mortality. If you can make 9.999 out of 10.000 NOT make it then you've got a very high ration of selection. Of the plants that DO make it select the ones with the best capsules for next year's planting.

Papaver already can take much abuse and is low maintainence, but if you want to waive a productive harvest now to improve the strain, it's absolutely great. It's setups like this that advance the species :thumbup:

Make sure, in future generations, to use mixed seeds as genetically diverse as possible. That means buying all ornamentals and all brands of culinary poppyseed you can get your hands on. If you grow THAT under high mortality conditions, you will truely get a *survival of the fittest* with the strongest hybrids resulting.

You should treat your patches like you would like your cultivar to be, and the ones that can provide those traits will survive.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

Offlinewhatever123
Male User Gallery

Re: Poppies- Developing special traits. [Re: Asante]
    #4076428 - 04/20/05 12:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yea, I am not into any "hard" drugs, including any and all opiates, but I am really into gardening and weed(but not growing weed, too risky and expensive and time consuming), and I figure that because I do not have any purpose for the opium, I might as well produce a poppy that will in the future, after being stabalized for several generations to make sure the changes stick, be something that local growers will do nothing to care for and still have a bountiful harvest. Has anyone else done anything like this? I do plan on making hybrids, but not until I become more familiar with the genetics of the plant and the growing of the plant itself. I was thinking about possibly creating a hybrid between the California Poppy and the Opium Poppy. If it goes the way that I desire, then it will be a hardy poppy, fit for the soil and life here, that also produces opium. I worry that it will
A) Not produce the alkaloids I desire
B) Produce alkaloids that are poisonous or something nasty like that
C) Be a low potency poppy
D) Require new knowledge on how to cultivate the new sttrain

The list goes on and on. Even if the cross breeding was a success, I know that the California poppy is used to California conditions, but I also suspect that it requires care in the areas of watering, et cetera, and merely strives in the areas of California where the conditions are perfect. In the same way that Marijuana can be a plant that grows wildly and profusely in some areas, but in others you must grow indoors because the conditions are just not right. My plan is to generate a giganteum that is, as I have said several times, able to grow off of the moisture in the air and the soil, although their is very little of it (the moisture, I mean). Regardless of what plant you did it with, I am looking for your experiences in creating a stronger strain for your area. I will look more into creating hybrids later, but for now, I just want a regular strain to become changed, not combnined with another.

--------------------
Koala Koolio said:

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #4079579 - 04/21/05 01:26 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

there are parameters to keep in mind.
for example pollenation. your best plant may well have been pllenated by a stragler, therefore the seeds may have stepped backwards from where you wanted them and expected them to be.
after 4-5 years of repetition tho i immagine you will overcome that.

right now ive got tazmanians, danish flags black peony-style, pink peony style, giganthemums, some mystery seeds found in pods in a public garden, and a few years worth of hybrid bastards. after a few years of diversity all your poppies start to look the same. even if you are selectively seeding. the seeds are only half the genetics of the plant you pick them from.

i know a woman who only grew purple peony-style, and next year in the same area, up popped red and pinks. and she lived out in the country down a long road. somehow the strain was corrupted with outside pollenation. and the hybrids in question were more vigorous than their mother plant, suggesting they came from some established plantings.

generally i suggest weeding out all weak plants before one manages to eek out a flower.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Papaver Somniferum

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden