Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
are the conservatives ready yet??
    #4056331 - 04/14/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i havent been here in awhile so i must ask this. are conservatives in this forum ready to own up and admit bush is a horrible president and that their party as a whole is been hijacked by religous zealots?? are they ready to admit bush is hurting the people and driving up the deficiet?? (un-conservative) will they admit that real conservativism is dead in the republican party and that they would almost find more friends for state's rights adn personal freedoms among the democrats?? will they also admit that electing bush and an all repopp senate/house has upset the precious checks and balances?? probbably not, but i know a whole bunch of conservatives have, thats all that maters

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: are the conservatives ready yet?? [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4056348 - 04/14/05 10:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

their not conservatives.. their neoconservatives...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
    #4056349 - 04/14/05 10:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I saw multiple Bush/Cheney '04 bumper stickers today... I wanted to run them off the road :lol:

I can see why people would've voted for him in '00 (as much as I hated him then, I can see why some people would have). If you voted for him in 2004 then... I just dont know what to say :shake:

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #4056410 - 04/14/05 10:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
i havent been here in awhile so i must ask this. are conservatives in this forum ready to own up and admit bush is a horrible president and that their party as a whole is been hijacked by religous zealots??

It isn't my party, but if you are referring to the Republican party then I might be inclined to say yes.
Quote:

are they ready to admit bush is hurting the people and driving up the deficiet??

I've been saying that for a long time. Bush's spending is out of control.
Quote:

(un-conservative) will they admit that real conservativism is dead in the republican party

Yes.
Quote:

and that they would almost find more friends for state's rights adn personal freedoms among the democrats??

No.
Quote:

will they also admit that electing bush and an all repopp senate/house has upset the precious checks and balances??

Not at all. The checks and balances seem to actually be working pretty well lately. Just look at how the courts handled the Schievo matter.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4056422 - 04/14/05 10:50 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think that ANYONE here supported Bush, they just hated Kerry. Of course, you are too much of a bleeding heart (anus?) liberal to understand that. Myopic of the Day award goes to, KingOfTheAnalBleed.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: are the conservatives ready yet?? [Re: SoopaX]
    #4056447 - 04/14/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Bush and Kerry weren't the only two choices.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4056449 - 04/14/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

No flaming in PA&L.

Flame in the proper forums or you will get a ban.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4056452 - 04/14/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I was hoping the neo-libs would nominate a better candidate that i could vote for but they all sucked. oh well.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: are the conservatives ready yet?? [Re: Rose]
    #4056469 - 04/14/05 11:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Accusing him of being myoptic isn't a "flame", really.

COME TO THE OH GATHERING YOU BASTARD :smile:

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4056536 - 04/14/05 11:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ill be there, as always, and u can call me kinganalwhatever :wink:

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4058128 - 04/15/05 11:26 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Patience King, it's only a matter of time before conservatives see how they truly fucked up. I give it a few years, close to when this administration/dictatorship ends. :thumbup:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4059324 - 04/15/05 04:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SoopaX said:
I don't think that ANYONE here supported Bush, they just hated Kerry. Of course, you are too much of a bleeding heart (anus?) liberal to understand that. Myopic of the Day award goes to, KingOfTheAnalBleed.

I supported Bush AND hated Kerry. I don't like everything he's done or why he's done some of the things I like but overall he is mostly doing what I want. Now, since he doesn't need their votes I would like to see him do something about illegal immigration. But I know he won't. As to the deficit, feh, I've been through too many of these. Raising taxes doesn't ease the deficit, it only creates one in MY house. As a side bar, the White House does not control the budget, the Congress does, and I'm sick of the fucking pork from both sides of the aisle. Just recently Dodd (D, CT) tried to steal a contract for a CT company that was disqualified and didn't want it just so he could get credit for bringing home the bacon.

But mostly I like Bush because he is willing to kick the shit out of some people who desperately deserve it. I'm sick of the US being thought of as the fat, rich white kid who you can punch for fun. I'd much rather be the fat, rich white kid who will kick your fucking ass if you bother him. That's what I want.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Re: are the conservatives ready yet?? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4059338 - 04/15/05 04:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:I'm sick of the US being thought of as the fat, rich white kid who you can punch for fun.  I'd much rather be the fat, rich white kid who will kick your fucking ass if you bother him.  That's what I want.

Me too.    :guns:

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #4060073 - 04/15/05 07:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

you will be the rich fat kid if you want to be

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: are the conservatives ready yet?? [Re: question_for_joo]
    #4060432 - 04/15/05 09:52 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think Bush is doing all right so far. Your question is like me asking: when will liberals realize that they are total morons, wrong about everything and Democrats, and Greens are evil loons hell bent on world domination? And how often do you beat your wife?

(the above is assuming the framework of the completely fabricated and ludicrous political dichotomy of liberal vs. conservative, rephrased as self vs. other)

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #4060527 - 04/15/05 10:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

But mostly I like Bush because he is willing to kick the shit out of some people who desperately deserve it. I'm sick of the US being thought of as the fat, rich white kid who you can punch for fun. I'd much rather be the fat, rich white kid who will kick your fucking ass if you bother him. That's what I want.

if you ever so much as smoked a joint in your life..then youve already bothered the fat-rich-white-kid..and as such your in line to get your fucking ass kicked..because neocons dont give a shit about their toadys...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4060541 - 04/15/05 10:26 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It's simple cognitive dissonance. The changing of thoughts in one's mind due to friction with evidence, other thoughts or reality is based on a few factors in the support for Bush:

1) Reversibility. Supporting Bush is now irreversible in terms of him being in office, so it's subconsciously realized it's useless to expend energy to change the opinion of the American leader that mind put there.

2) The importance of the issue. Obviously, the more important the issue to society (and therefore the individual mind,) the more energy that has been expended taking one side on that issue, and the less willing the subconscious would be to take the drastic change of opinion depending on the seriousness of the issue.

3) The length of time the subject took to make the decision, and the length of time they will be affected. The latter relates to the importance and irreversibility of the issue, as we're stuck with Bush for the next four years, and the former probably depends on the person. Some may have voted for Bush without a second thought, some may have spent months debating whether Bush was their guy despite all his screw-ups.

This can be seen in other issues also, noticeably the War in Iraq. No WMDs were found, but conservatives seem to have subconsciously felt it took more mental energy and attention to realize that the whole reason we went to Iraq was wrong than to simply make up another list of reasons. Almost all of them seem to have taken the path of least resistance, which is the latter, despite the fact that the new reasons (and the old ones) can be applied to countless other countries other than Iraq, and to this day there are countries that pose much more of a threat to Israel, the U.S. and the peace of this world than Iraq ever did.

Of course, liberals and probably all other political parties follow the same pattern, but since conservatives have had so many rough times with a conservative president making rather bad irreversible decisions, cognitive dissonance is noted rather quickly when reading their words. They try to find evidence to back up their claims, which is often true, such as Iraq being full of problems and potential threats, but they decide to ignore the glaring error that so many other countries have so many more problems and potential threats of war than a collapsing Iraq did when we went in.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: are the conservatives ready yet?? [Re: Ravus]
    #4061798 - 04/16/05 08:04 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Bush should be your hero. He ended the sanctions that were "killing 100,000+ children under five every year".

Why do you hate the little Iraqi children so much?

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: are the conservatives ready yet?? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4062504 - 04/16/05 03:36 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Where I see the cognitive dissonance is with the people that said "Don't attack Iraq, they have WMDs! I told you you shouldn't have attacked them, they didn't have WMDs! We're stealing their oil! It's Bushes fault gas prices are up! America sucks because it supports dictators, but leave Iraq alone."

I think the real problem is that anybody who gets sucked into affiliating themselv+es with a prepackaged political ideology will always have to just+ify inconsitency to maintain their position of binary opposition. Identity and dualism take precedence to principle.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: are the conservatives ready yet?? [Re: Ravus]
    #4062605 - 04/16/05 04:16 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ravus is dissonantly incognate. Cognitive dissonance refers to holding mutually exclusive ideas at the same time. It has nothing whatsoever to do with being proven wrong. Which has not occured here anyway.

Quote:

Ravus said:
It's simple cognitive dissonance. The changing of thoughts in one's mind due to friction with evidence, other thoughts or reality is based on a few factors in the support for Bush:

1) Reversibility. Supporting Bush is now irreversible in terms of him being in office, so it's subconsciously realized it's useless to expend energy to change the opinion of the American leader that mind put there.

This is somewhat difficult to parse. Quite a few conservatives have had quite a few negative things to say about Bush's inconservancy. And there is nothing subconscious about it. "That mind put there" is incomprehensible.
Quote:

2) The importance of the issue. Obviously, the more important the issue to society (and therefore the individual mind,) the more energy that has been expended taking one side on that issue, and the less willing the subconscious would be to take the drastic change of opinion depending on the seriousness of the issue.

There is certainly a possibility that closely held beliefs are harder to relinquish. The subconscious (whatever that is) doesn't factor in, however. Political thought is quite conscious. Equating society with individual "minds" is by definition nonsense. Still, it has nothing to do with cognitive dissonance.
Quote:

3) The length of time the subject took to make the decision, and the length of time they will be affected. The latter relates to the importance and irreversibility of the issue, as we're stuck with Bush for the next four years, and the former probably depends on the person. Some may have voted for Bush without a second thought, some may have spent months debating whether Bush was their guy despite all his screw-ups.

Here is a really revolutionary thought; "After careful consideration, I, a very insightful and informed American, have decided that George Bush represents my interests very well." It wasn't even a close call. I think he has made far fewer errors than anybody since his father and, back more, to Harry Truman. Believe me when I tell you that your idea of what his errors have been are way different from what I think they are. And I am way smarter than you. Or brainwashed. Whatever.

Quote:

This can be seen in other issues also, noticeably the War in Iraq. No WMDs were found, but conservatives seem to have subconsciously felt it took more mental energy and attention to realize that the whole reason we went to Iraq was wrong than to simply make up another list of reasons. Almost all of them seem to have taken the path of least resistance, which is the latter, despite the fact that the new reasons (and the old ones) can be applied to countless other countries other than Iraq, and to this day there are countries that pose much more of a threat to Israel, the U.S. and the peace of this world than Iraq ever did.

There were plenty of reasons given and every SINGLE one was good enough for me. I disagree very strongly with the ridiculous assertion that there were much greater threats than Iraq. The greatest threat from Iraq was that it continued to thumb it's nose at the US and the UN. My idea of credibility is that if you say "If you don't stop I'm going to take you out" you have to follow through. This has been a very productive message. See Libya. See Syria. See everybody else who now knows that they will not be allowed to fuck with us. There actually is a poke that we won't countenance.
Quote:

Of course, liberals and probably all other political parties follow the same pattern, but since conservatives have had so many rough times with a conservative president making rather bad irreversible decisions, cognitive dissonance is noted rather quickly when reading their words. They try to find evidence to back up their claims, which is often true, such as Iraq being full of problems and potential threats, but they decide to ignore the glaring error that so many other countries have so many more problems and potential threats of war than a collapsing Iraq did when we went in.

I like his decisions. The Iraq dictatorship was not collapsing. Who do you think is the greater threat and why? Don't tell me that they have a simmeringly dissonant subconscious.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon

General Interest >> Political Discussion