Greetings all. Any help will be welcome regarding my problems with getting growth in my jars. I have been trying for an eternity it seems to get my mushroom cultivation going the way it should. I will try to document my trials as clearly as possible to give you an outline that will hopefully give some of you an insite into where I may be going wrong. Up until now, I have hesitated posting this request for help possibly because I am stubborn but mainly because there is such a wealth of knowledge here already that SHOULD have provided me the know-how. For the life of me I just can`t work it out. Here we go... Maybe starting with where I am now and then going backwards will be best. This is how I`ve been trying: Cubensis spores ordered from Ryche(Mexican/Costa Rican) .. Made my own spore syringes following the standard shot glass technique making sure to allow the sterile mineral water to cool for a couple of hours in the syringes before sucking up the spores to avoid killing the spores. The fact that I have never had ANY contaminations of cakes is perhaps evidence of the lengths I go to to keep everything sterile. I can`t see anything wrong will the spore syringe-making process. I`ll move on .. I`ve been sure to allow the spores to hydrate, allowing the syringes to sit for at least 48 hours on all occasions before using for inoculation. Here is my cake prep rundown .. Now, I live in an asian country were English isn`t the used language but have managed to get what I think is the correct ingredients for the basic cake. I`ve kept it simple using flour/vermiculite/mineral water mixed to the recommended amounts. First I hade trouble finding brown rice flour and tried rye flour with no success. Then I found some organic brown rice and bought a coffee grinder to make my own brown rice flour to eliminate the problem of additives ..still with no success. Should be noted here that I have experiment endlessly with slightly varing water content. Using half pint canning jars, I sterilize them using the boiling method for one hour (I don`t have a pressure cooker.. but again, I have never had a problem with contaminations). At times, I had water getting into the jars while boiling and ended up with slushy cakes so to avoid this, I used electricians` tape on both the holes in the lid AND around the rim of the lid then wrapped the whole jar in foil before boiling. After that I seemed to have avoided the problem of water getting in during sterilization. OK, the sterilization is done.. contents of the jar are looking good seeming to have a nice water content with some slight condensation on the inside of the jars. Now the jars are left over night to cool. Pretty good so far, right!? Moving on to inoculation. Wiping the needle with alcohol then slightly flaming, again wiping with alcohol, the jars are inoculated. Again, I have experimented with varing amounts at each of the five nail holes(one in the centre) from 1/4 cc to almost 1 cc in each hole. I have also tried re-taping the holes after inoculation AND leaving the holes untaped before putting the jars in the incubation chamber. OK, the incubation chamber.. The set-up I have made leaves the least reason for failure in my opinion since it really is great. Inside a big wooden chest with a lid that seals quite well allowing no light to enter (but air to flow in and out) I have a large plastic tub with no top. Into that plastic tub I half fill with water and maintain the temperature using a fish tank heater at 80-85 degrees F. I`ve played around with the temperature a little here too. Into that water bath I put another medium-sized plastic container that holds the jars and thermometer(placed in the centre of the jars). It has a lid but I have also tried making holes in it to allow for better gas exchange AND keeping it fully closed. Of course that container floats on the water bath so I have it tied down to make it half submerged. Then the wooden chest is closed. Sounds good doesn`t it? I have waited more than two weeks at this optimum temperature to see next to no growth. There have been a few occasions when I have seen mycelium growth after about 3 days that continues for a day or two then stops completely. Having done some reading in The Shroomery, reasons for halted growth seem to be either the wrong water content or lack of gas exchange. With that in mind I have experimented with those two variables .. still with no success at getting a cake to fully colonize. MAN, WHAT A NIGHTMARE !! Doesn`t it sound like I`ve done my homework, been careful to keep the process sterile, and dealt with possible faults?? Going back a bit, here are some results.. I tried using steeped bird seed combined with verm and BRF. This was BEFORE I realized that grains are a big no-no WITHOUT a pressure cooker.. BUT I did get a couple of jars to half colonize before contamination set in. I ended up combining the colonized parts form the two jars together to make one complete cake, put it in the fruiting chamber and actually grew some shrooms! That has been the extent of my success to date. Now I`m contemplating getting a pressure cooker and trying bird seed again. Taking into account the fact that my process seems good, I can`t help but think that either the vermiculite or the flour is no good. But how? My BRF is home made, the vermiculite IS vermiculite after all.. it says VERMICULITE on the packet!? I`m also thinking of trying the POPCORN method since it seems to avoid any problems associated with verm/BRF.. Seeing next to no growth at optimum temperature also makes me think the spore solution is no good. I`m very careful here though. One question though.. I use cleaning alcohol to wipe the inside of the shot glass before scraping the spopes into it but always allow the alcohol to evaporate first. I have wondered if any residual alcohol in the shot glass might kill the spores. Is this possible and could it be that I`m using the wrong alcohol? Well that`s the rundown of my attempts to date. Popcorn looks like my next chance.. I don`t know. Everyone, any advice, suggestions, or recommendations will be really really REALLY appreciated! Apologies for the length of this post but I wanted to make the best possible chance for getting some help. It really is quite sad that I should have such little success after the amount of effort I have put into it. I deserve better! Thank you all. I look forward in anticipation to ANY replies.. Peace.
-------------------- "Worry is preposterous. We don't know enough to worry."
|