Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
stranger thanHell
Loc: San Diego, California
sealing the jars for pressure cooker
    #794477 - 08/03/02 03:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I just attempted my first batch of shrooms today. I recieved 3 different syringes and I am concerned about substrate contamimation caused detegent residue during steaming. I steamed 3 different batches of jars and changed my methood on the third batch.
My problem is that I feared that the water would evaporate before the hour was up (because the jars are so short I would have to submerse them to have enough water for an hour) so I put several towels in the bottom of the steamer.
On the first 2 batches I used the "Ramsey Seal" by putting the foil over the substrate and then filling the "pond" in the top of the jar with vermiculite. When I cleaned out the bottom of the steam cleaner there was a sticky substance on the bottom of it that smelled like the brown rice flour, so it appears that some of the substrate made it out of the jar. I think this might of leaked out from the seams because possibly the foil prevented a good seal.
On the third batch I put the dry vermiculite on top (without the foil and with 3 holes in the lids) and I'm steaming it (as I'm writing this question). I am concerned that the towels in the bottom of the steamer might have detergent residue that might contaminate the substrate by penetrating the holes in the lids and the (contaminated) moisture getting through to the substrate. Could anyone coment on this Please?
Anything would be appreciated!
Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: Philadelphia area
Re: sealing the jars for pressure cooker [Re: FrstTimer]
    #794762 - 08/03/02 08:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Are you using a pressure cooker or steaming the jars in a pot? You can cut a cookie cooling rack and put it in the bottom instead of towels.

Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation