Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |  [ show all ]
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: mantis]
    #4050367 -

the day i stop eatting meat will be the day lions realize the immorality of killing gazelles on the plains in africa and start eatting berries.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: fearfect]
    #4050381 -

Well, humans can realize things... lions can't.

So I guess you're saying you'll never stop eating meat? At least you found a slightly more clever way of saying it :smirk:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: mantis]
    #4050396 -

My personal goal is to gradually stop eating meat.  Everytime I just try to stop cold turkey (haha) I don't have the willpower for it.  But by gradually reducing the types of meat and the quantities I eat, it's much more managable. 

Eventually I am going to cut turkey out of my diet too, and just eat fish.  Then maybe when I'm ready, cut that out too. 

It's a process.  :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: mantis]
    #4050451 -

:thumbup:

the idea that humans are superior to nature is a new one. humans for many centuries lived with the idea that they are part of nature, but especially with advances in technology and scientific, we were faced with an illusion that we are superior, therefore we can exploit nature and each living organism in the benefit of humankind. Humankind if slowly recognizing this was a wrong aproach which would at the end bring its own extinction. We have to relearn to live in harmony with nature and that includes everything apart of it. It is not at the old times of hunter and gathering where animals were hunted for survival. It is today going on at a rate that is disrupting the eco-system. People sometimes has to go to some ancient forrests and look up to the trees and remember how small he is...

this post a little off topic but it was only about my sense of dilusion of human superiority to rest of nature which has the consequences of animals/nature being exploited for human benefits.


--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: BanJankri]
    #4050517 -

humans don't have any good hunter characteristics. We aren't good sprinters who can keep up with 4 legged beasts. We can't live in the trees to compete for easy access to fruits, etc. When we were thrust out of the jungle we were forced to find a way to survive, and we simply couldn't compete with the other existing hunters in the way they hunt, so we had to find alternatives. The alternatives are to raise our own food.

By all means, if you think eating vegetables makes you feel better and makes you feel more healthy, by all means eat it, I have nothing wrong with that. If I thought meat tasted bad or made me sick then I wouldn't eat it either. But I like meat. I love meat. And I don't let anyone else's "morals" get in the way of what I do. The only morals I have are consequences. If the dog shits in the house, you rub its nose in it, thus giving it "morals".

If what I do has no negative feedback on me, then I'm going to keep doing it. This is the nature of survival.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: BanJankri]
    #4050533 -

this post a little off topic but it was only about my sense of dilusion of human superiority to rest of nature which has the consequences of animals/nature being exploited for human benefits.

All animals exploit other animals for their own benefit. If anything, the illusion that we're superior to animals created the idea that we SHOULD be doing things differently, even though we never seem to actually behave any better than animals do.

...and to whoever said lions can't realize things, how the hell can you know that?


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: fearfect]
    #4050539 -

humans don't have any good hunter characteristics. We aren't good sprinters who can keep up with 4 legged beasts. We can't live in the trees to compete for easy access to fruits, etc. When we were thrust out of the jungle we were forced to find a way to survive, and we simply couldn't compete with the other existing hunters in the way they hunt, so we had to find alternatives. The alternatives are to raise our own food.

No, some of the alternatives were to raise our own foods, other alternatives were to create hunting tools.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: Phluck]
    #4050574 -

i meant to say "one of the alternatives"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: BanJankri]
    #4050583 -

one of the reasons mankind is so successful as a species is his/her ability to to consume and prosper on a wide range of food sources. i believe early man was a HUNTER/gatherer. one of the reasons mankind was able to develop a larger brain was partially due to eating meat.

to say primitive man did not eat red meat isn't correct. from what i have seen and read alot of the meat primitive man consumed was prolly "opportunistic" ie already dead. i cant imagine them not eating a gazelle cuz it was red meat.

most anything in excess is not good for you.

i know many vegetarians and i hope i don't come down on them... it try not to

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: BanJankri]
    #4050677 -

I eat meat and I savor the taste, but I know that if I had to butcher my own I would be less interested in eating meat. I would still eat it but less often. I don?t really care for hunting save the fact that it keeps deer populations down (I really don?t want to hit one and ruin my car in that my car is a superior mode of transportation to walking). I find fishing boring but love lemon on my salmon. People today in their busy lives don?t have time to care about animals. They want power, wealth, prestige and the path to these scarce resources at the moment has little to do with empathizing with animals. Most people cant see the forest for the trees, or the steak for the cow.


--------------------
truth in it self is no power, truth must either side with power or power side with truth or it will perish again and again. -Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: dest11]
    #4050850 -

mushrooms are meaty


--------------------
-------------------
peace with everystep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: swampthing]
    #4050853 -

swampthing said:
mushrooms are meaty




--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: MOTH]
    #4050878 -

two little tidbits to add to the conversation:

funny story about ALF (or an organization like it)--some years back they went into the Seattle Aquarium and rescued some fish trapped in their horrible aquariums and freed them by throwing them into the Puget Sound......its just too bad they were freshwater fish and died almost instantly :doh:  I find that story very indicative of the careful thinking, reasoning and knowledge that goes into many of the (usually young) people who follow these extremist ideologies.

secondly, one interesting thought that actually made me try a raw vegan diet for a few days (im a carnivore otherwise) was that if you think about it, just about the only food that universally tastes good raw is fruit.  Makes you think that that must have been what our diet was originally based on, before fire (which we would not have had time to adapt for on the evolutionary scale).  I'm not looking for a scientific debate here, just a interesting thought.

oh and my gf is vegetarian and i have tried to get her to eat meat a hell of a lot more than she's ever tried to get me to be a vegetarian.  but i guess that's mainly because i can share vegetarian food with her but she can't share my food with me which is what a relationship is a lot about, sharing things with each other. 

The main problem i have with vegetarianism is a) the difficulty in getting enough protein (not the biggest bean/lentil fan) and b) how central meat is to so many different dishes and i love to experiment with cooking.  the only way i see myself doing it is if i had a steady influx of quorn:



--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: Tao]
    #4050998 -

How do you strict vegetarians get enough B12 in your diet? (for any vegetarian here)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: MOTH]
    #4051025 -

Didn't bother to read the thread...

But, when a vegan (shouldn't it be a vegetarian? Vegans are diet nazi's) lectures you on the evils of meat... just tell them STFU. Good that they don't like meat, good that they have to taut their actions as superior to your own, and need a high sense of self justification for refraining from meat... but don't tell me about it.

You should tell her the evils of not minding your own fucking business and to accept that people are going to eat meat whether she is convincing or not... Then point out that we all have canines.

I've personally never had anyone tell me why I shouldn't.


--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: oDin]
    #4051034 -

Quote:
most anything in excess is not good for you.



agreed!~

---

I eat red meat...but not as much as I used to.

I eat more fish and veggies these days...for health reasons.

I grew up with my Dad's side of the family being vegetarian...they are Seven Day Adventists...and some of them are total vegans now.
So when we would go visit them we would eat what they put on the table.
Some of the food they made was really good. :smile:
They never pushed their vegetarian life style on any of us...but they would kid around about it.
I usually go up and visit once a year...and enjoy the vegetarian food that they serve...its the religious talk that they do that makes me cringe!~

People will eat what they are accustomed to eating...usually taught to them by their parents.
Some people change the eating habits they were taught by their parents.
Some people feel guilt towards eating other animals...thats cool.
Some people don't feel guilty eating other animals...and thats cool too.

Whatever floats your boat...be yourself.

Trying to change someones " Eating practices " is like trying to preach Religion...it's better to let someone find their own way...IMO

TC


--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!


Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: newuser1492]
    #4051056 -

I've been a vegetarian for about 10 years. I don't take multivitamins, although I have recently considered starting to do so. I don't 'replace' my meat with other things... I just don't eat meat.

I'm healthy and reasonably athletic. My doctor says my PMS is solely based on a lack of B12 vitamins and if I took supplements, I wouldn't even get PMS because I'm so balanced.

I guess everyone is different.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: CherryBom]
    #4051078 -

I'm a vegetarian because i hate plants......

you can get b12 in beer and yeast btw.


--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP


Edited by rogue_pixie (04/13/05 03:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: rogue_pixie]
    #4051108 -

So maybe I'll just start drinking beer?

I'm also a carb junkie, I eat A LOT of bread and pasta. I wonder if there's b12 in bread and pasta?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When a vegan lectures you on the evils of meat [Re: CherryBom]
    #4051116 -

i'd imagine they contain a small amount.
marmite has plenty of b12 in


--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* My opinion on veganism.
( 1 2 all )
Pirate_Patrick 3,064 31 03/27/06 01:13 PM
by Boom
* I despise the following meat-flavored "food products":
( 1 2 all )
Konnrade 4,428 27 02/25/06 03:07 PM
by Konnrade
* Militaristic vegans. How annoying.
( 1 2 3 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 2,758 46 06/26/07 10:57 AM
by OneMoreRobot3021
* Vegan extremists kill baby!
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Burke Dennings 7,879 82 05/11/07 11:29 AM
by Bridgeburner
* i'm being vegan this week. Anonymous 2,250 17 10/03/03 04:45 PM
by Bhairabas
* vegans
( 1 2 3 all )
mikeytro 3,846 48 10/01/07 04:19 PM
by LeftyBurnz
* ethics of eating meat.......(continued from here more pix)
( 1 2 3 all )
calishroomer 9,362 47 02/04/03 03:17 AM
by GagePLoungin
* Meat Juice
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
CherryBomM 7,829 83 12/02/06 06:01 PM
by Konnrade

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
24,460 topic views. 6 members, 18 guests and 223 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.