Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Loc: P.N.W.
PNW Liberty Cap Q's -(about spring hunting)
    #4042815 - 04/11/05 08:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I live somewhat near seattle, WA. I have lots of local horse fields, so I go hunting often. I've never found liberty caps before. I allways hear about how "common" they are in the PNW -yet everytime I go in search for them, I come up empty-handed. I took some pictures of "suspected" lib cap spots, since I see the same species of grass growing there as I find in cow fields. Do libs specifically grow ON this kind of grass? It is growing on a sandy hill, so They would have to grow either on the dead grass, or in the sand -wich libs dont grow in. Just basicly asking for any advice about specific habitat descriptions from anyone who has found them. And just what to look for. Are they allways that dark brown color? -ANY advice on libs from someone who is experienced would be much appreciated.
this is the dead grass below the grass clumps- look good?

and this is a show of the overall hill, with the grass clumps-

and a picture of some panaeolus camp's (nonactive) growing in SHIT.  :crazy:

Edited by trevorda8 (04/11/05 08:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: PNW Liberty Cap Q's -(about spring hunting) [Re: trevorda8]
    #4042845 - 04/11/05 08:25 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

As far as I know, there isn't a spring season for Libs. Only fall.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #4045419 - 04/12/05 11:29 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

In the mid 1970s I found 22 libs on May 18th in a shopping mall near Tukwilla. Very rare. also several lawns at the center had libs popping up in warm rainny weather in June and July and never came back after a few years. They are moe common on golf courses along the Oregon Coast in July and August sometimes but they are primarilly a cold weather fall species in most places including Peru and India. Have a shroomy day and wait till the fall. They grow profusely in many fields, west of the Cascades and east of the Olympics, from Bandon, Oregon in the south of the PNW to BC, Canada in the north of the PNW. Always in manured soil and never directly in manure. They grow with their mycelia attached to the roots of wild grasses, tall rank grasses, sedge, etc.

They are also hygropphanous, that is they change color from an olive brown cap, often with a striate margin to a straw-yellow color in drying. P. strictipes is similar as is P. sierrae (=P. fimetaria).

mj

Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Loc: P.N.W.
Re: PNW Liberty Cap Q's -(about spring hunting) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4064779 - 04/17/05 03:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks alot mj! Good guy, I read that about 10 times just now, and lemme tell ya, im a 10x more knowlegable person thanks to your advice.
Much appreciated for heplin me out. I gotta go hunting with you sometime!

thanks again-
Trevor

--------------------
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" -Pink Floyd.
Memories make up our lifes as we know it. Our souls are lost between time and space.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #4070993 - 04/18/05 11:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I found this one last Friday (4/15/05) at a horse stable. They never seemed to stop growing at this location. Pretty much continuous from late fall through winter up to the present. There was a nice crop in the fall and then only 2 or 3 at a time after that every time I checked. I would say Spring liberty cap numbers are about 1% of what you see in the Fall. You have to be extremely lucky to notice them when they are that scarce. It helps to recheck areas you know are productive in the peak of the fall season. Cow and sheep fields are best, this is the only horse stable I have seen that produces liberty caps. I am hoping its an aggressive strain that fruits easily in captivity.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: PNW Liberty Cap Q's -(about spring hunting) [Re: Workman]
    #4071700 - 04/19/05 07:23 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

nice workman!

DH

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: PNW Liberty Cap Q's -(about spring hunting) [Re: spores]
    #4072369 - 04/19/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It shouod also be noteed that Oregon has a diferent climatic condition than the rest of the PNW. I too have picked liberty caps into February before but like Workman said, one or two specimens a week. I also fond tweo beautiful clumps once of P. cyanescens at the middle of February in a mall in the city in mulch.

However, that does not mean there are any in the State of NW Washington or the Skagit and Whatcom Valley regions knopwn for plentiful liberty cap mushrooms.

Right now there are Conocybe smithii, Conocybe cyanopus, Panaeolus subbalteatus and the blue ringer family of P. stuntzii and P. fimetaria.

mj

Offlineemeraldmist
Stranger

Loc: PNW peninsula
Re: PNW Liberty Cap Q's - Oh Really??? [Re: trevorda8]
    #4072909 - 04/19/05 01:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

No one believed that I had found about 20 in a patch this same exact time last year when squatting to pee! Why had no one validated my finds then? I got a lot of rough words thrown at me though. I knew then I wasn't 'hallucinating'. I suggested then that climates are different in many areas of Washington. To no avail, I was flat out ridiculed so I'm glad for one to see others finding them in the spring of the great PNW.
L

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract