Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineroofus
The Stunt Bum

Loc: california
Liberty caps in northern cali
    #2110800 - 11/16/03 02:47 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I've heard that liberty caps grow in stanislaus county (california) and this is where i reside. i also read that they don't necessarily grow on the cow shit, but in the pasture land where the cows graze out of straw/hay and such. Is this correct, and when can i expect them to start popping up in this area? Thanks a lot

--------------------
Wherever you go, there you are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Liberty caps in northern cali [Re: roofus]
    #2111017 - 11/16/03 06:59 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

There have been o no reputable reports of liberty caps in northern Califonia. They grow from Bandon Oregon to British Colombiian, Canada and from west of the Cascades to East of the Olympics.

mj

They grow inmanured soil and never directly from manure.

they are P. semilanceata.

mj

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2111158 - 11/16/03 09:37 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I've heard of them growing up in Northern California, like Humbolt county. Have I ever seen them in pictures, or real life...Nope. But, from a guy who says he knows what a liberty cap is, and told me the exact description of what they look like, and what their habitat is, has said that there are some.

Offlinecasualblue
an interstellarbur-rst

Re: Liberty caps in northern cali [Re: angryshroom]
    #2111327 - 11/16/03 11:40 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i've heard the same thing..

Offlineroofus
The Stunt Bum

Loc: california
Re: Liberty caps in northern cali [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2111671 - 11/16/03 01:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yes i have a book right here called "hallucinagenic and poisonous mushrooms" by gary p. menser that says they do grow in northern california. I think they grow more on the northern coastline, as i am in stanislaus county in central cali.

--------------------
Wherever you go, there you are.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Liberty caps in northern cali [Re: angryshroom]
    #2111690 - 11/16/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have also showed images of Galerina autumnalis to many people who have picked P. cyanescens with me and these same people told me they had picked the shrooms in my photos in their neighborhood and got real high off of them.

Of course they would have been dead if they had eaten the Galerinas in the images I showed them.

I have also taken people out to hunt liberty caps in fiields where I use to pick them in Oregon and Washington for a first hunt.

Usually within a half an hour I come check their bags and find that they, my friends, have picked four or five other shrooms that are not liberty caps, and placed them in their bag of collected shrooms and then tell me, "well they all look the same to me, that is they all look like shrooms."

I have also taken people to pick P. pelliculosa and I find psathyrellas and Galerinas in their boxes when piking in the clearcuts.

I really doubt the existence of the liberty cap in California. There are too many shroomers in the northern part of the state whom I have met on numerous ocassions at the annual Breittenbush Hot Springs Mushroom symposiums who have looked for over ten years in dozens of cattle pasturelands in Northern California and never found one yet.

And Roofus, There are numerous errors in Gary Mensers book, not only in his mentioning of libs in Northern Califorinia, but his id and comments of Panaolina foenisecii as an active species on the east coast and inactive when found on the west coast, It is not active at all and his ID of P. strictipes as similar to P. baeocystis is also incorrect.

P. strictipes was originally known as P. callosa and resembles a liberty cap. It does not resembles P. baeocystis as described by Gary or all of the other field guides of the 1970s and 80s. I did post the Stamets pages from his field guide of Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World where he corrected the error in his first book and also noted the other dozen guides (Including my book) which said P. strictipes was similar to P. baeocystis.

While Gary died in the mid 1990s, the errors in his book, which he was aware were never corrected. Never by him or by his second publisher David Tatleman of Homestead Book Company in Seattle or its new publishers Ronin, who publish numerous drug books and fail to correct errors in many of their publications..

BTW,

Ronin's newest book is "Magic Mushrooms" by Peter Stafford (one of six books extracted from his large volume, Psychedelic Encyclopedia"), rewritten by me and Peter and graced with numerous photos by me and a cover by me from a Bali Batik I helped design and paint.

Mj

Have a shroomy day and recheck Spiritus' post on Liberty Caps in Newfoundland for a photoshop corrected image of his liberty caps.

InvisibleUlgrim
Stranger
Loc: humboldt county
Re: Liberty caps in northern cali [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2117331 - 11/17/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I live in humboldt county, and have never personally found liberty caps in pastures, just a bunch of p. coprophila or something, but I have heard more than one person say they have found libs in humboldt

Offlinewookie
life enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: the north state (Californ...
Re: Liberty caps in northern cali [Re: Ulgrim]
    #2298704 - 02/03/04 07:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I also live in humboldt and the only thing I Have found are psilocybe cyanescens. Members of my own family have told me they picked liberty caps north of arcata 20 years ago.

--------------------
-=* dUMb \/\/00kIe *=-

Anonymous

Re: Liberty caps in northern cali [Re: wookie]
    #2300436 - 02/04/04 11:47 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Friends tell me they've found semilanceatas growing in the dunes in Humboldt. I don't see how this could be true as they only grow in inmanured soil, but I've also heard from other people who have said to of found libs in Humboldt county. Cyanescens are way more potent anyway, and why go hunting for liberty caps when cyes grow all over this god damn place? At the beginning of the mushrooms season we were picking 2-6 ounces of cyanescens per day.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Liberty caps in northern cali [Re: ]
    #2300596 - 02/04/04 12:34 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Liberty caps also grow in lawns and fields, alongside roads inthe country and in public parks. They grow on Golf Course lawns along the Oregon Coast, but then have you ever been i hit in the legs buy a golf ball. I have so I do not pick there. And liberty caps are more abundant worldwide than cyans. Cyans appear mostly in mad made habitats and liberty caps usually in pastures.

mj

We have had great pickings here in Seattle over the years of libertty caps in some park lawns and in new lawns at various times.

mj

I once picked 18 l;iberty caps in May at aSouthcenter int he early 1980s.

mj

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2961013 - 08/03/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I lived in this area many years ago, and have been back in Humboldt for 9 years.  Back in 1979-1980, I remember observing many, many Liberty Caps with friends in the area near where the **** crosses ***** (north of McKinleyville), and heard -but did not verify- that many were collected in the pastures between Eureka and Arcata.  I remember one of the distinguising features about the mushrooms gathered near the "tiny stream" was the sticky gelatinous pellicle -- which is what we in our ignorant youth depended on for the ID.  I remember you could stretch the cap, inside the pellicle, and the cap would break before the pellicle.  We never did spore prints.  Also, they grew in pastures, *not* directly out of manure.  I can't swear that they were Liberty caps, but I have close friends who ate them and believed they were quite active (20-40 mushrooms)...

Now, as far as cyanescens... I'm gonna be looking real hard this next rainy season  :laugh: I had no idea they were apparently so common around this area.  Anyone with any tips -- feel free to let me know.

Edited by Gumby: one location you gave was a bit too specific(the intersection). Better safe than sorry/in jail :wink:

Edited by BobHumboldt (11/05/04 02:46 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty caps in northern cali [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #15123848 - 09/23/11 05:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

bringing up an old thread here just to cross reference that I too lived around Humboldt many years ago, and have something of a confirmation. Apparently really rare photos now. These days tho it's more likley people will find cyans in Humboldt, but I'm sure there's a few liberty patches left

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15123514&page=0&vc=1#15123514

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom