Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineArmedLiberals
Dissident
Slow mycelium growth in jars
    #397597 - 09/18/01 04:17 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Hi there,

As our first shrrom growing attemt, we got a prit of P.C. from the SporeWorks and innoculated several media types (rice flour+vermiculite, brown rice, finch seed etc. We followed directions to the detail and haven't lost a single jar to contamination. Our problem is that although we see rapid growth about a week after innoculation, that is all we ever see. There are nice, nickel sized patches of mycelia within a few days in most jars, but that's all there ever is. W have jars as old as 8 weeks and the haven't changed after the first week. This is the case for all substrate / methods we tried. We opened one of our oldest jars from 8 weeks ago and the mycelia was covering about 70% of the surface, but only went about 1/4" deep. Any idea what we are doing wrong?

Thanks!
A.L.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Slow mycelium growth in jars [Re: ArmedLiberals]
    #397657 - 09/18/01 06:01 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

95%of all cases of stunted growth of mycelium in the jar are likely caused by contamination or moisture problems or both.

bad smell?

slimey appearance?

OfflineAnimalChin

Loc: US of A
    #397658 - 09/18/01 06:03 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Try turning them upside down,,,,,that might help

" Who among us has not snuck into the break room for a Love Newton?"

--------------------
A Bird in the hand is Dead.

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
    #397670 - 09/18/01 06:19 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

i have this problem too now. however, this is NOT my first growing attempt. lately most of my jars have began to colonize and then stopped abruptly. the quantities of mycellium r about the same as what you reported as well. i don't believe ive made ANY changes in my g rowing tek so i really have no clue. i also ordered my latest spore prints from the spore works as well but the same thing happened with the prints before that.

my only suggestion is that when u make the jars (after innoculation) put tinfoil over the cover, than screw the lid on. it allows SOME air flow and ive had better results. i havent tried enough to report it as a solution though

--------------------
I am not stoned.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Slow mycelium growth in jars [Re: E Tard]
    #397672 - 09/18/01 06:20 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I think its also about air exchange - if you have tape over the holes, in many cases they will stunt completely...To solve this, use filter discs or alcohol swabs as filters over the holes

www.shaman-australis.com/shroom/

--------------------

OfflineArmedLiberals
Dissident
Re: Slow mycelium growth in jars [Re: E Tard]
    #397702 - 09/18/01 06:55 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Do I want air? I thought no air is required (or desired) for this stage....

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #397724 - 09/18/01 07:12 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

If there is no air exchange, you can get rid of all the co2 build up in the jars..so let them breath a bit my militant leftwing friend

www.shaman-australis.com/shroom/

--------------------

OfflineArmedLiberals
Dissident
Re: Slow mycelium growth in jars [Re: tchyted]
    #397820 - 09/18/01 08:56 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

The one I opened smelled very nice acctually and there was no slime. As far moisture goes, I have no idea how wet the substrate should be, most instructions are very unclear on that...

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
    #397908 - 09/18/01 10:22 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

wow, 8 weeks?

hows your temps? for the non-pf jars, what kind of lid did you use (did you stuff them with polyfil?)

HQ once had a bad batch of pf jars that wouldnt finish colonizing cos she had some water splash into the jars, and the water settled on the bottom. they wouldnt colonize that part... another time she tried using a heating pad and thinks she kinda *baked* the substrate... both times she had stunted growth. fruited, but took a long time to be ready.

for your non-pf jars, youre shaking them, right? the ones that dont have the verm seal and *hopefully* ahve a polyfil lid should be shaken to distribute overgrown substrate throughout...

id agree with blue on the air- thats why the filter disks work so well b/c they facilitate air exchange while keeping contams filtered out. so pf jars remove the tape. and if youve made the quarts with polyfil stuffed lids, you should be getting adequate air exchange (dont remove the tape over the needle holes on these jars without a verm seal- )...

gluck

***Please Donate Blood. American Red Cross***

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: Slow mycelium growth in jars [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #398020 - 09/19/01 01:24 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Also, what I've done in the past is to cover the holes not with normal tape, but with medical Micropore tape that they sell in chemists where the bandage section is.
This will let in some air exchange, but filter any contaminants.
When I did some jars once, they took 10 days to fully colonise in this way...good luck!

Serge the Baby Harp Seal - Scourge of the FashionIndustry
'He's funny and he's furry and a Psy-cho-path!'

OfflineArmedLiberals
Dissident
Re: Slow mycelium growth in jars (It was the air) [Re: ArmedLiberals]
    #400291 - 09/21/01 06:09 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Hey there!

Thanks for all the replies on this thread. Since most seemed to agree that my problem was in air exchange, I took half of my jars, washed down the outside and jammed a hole in each lid with a sterile nail (in a near-sterile environment). Al the once I "opened-up" resumed growth, some almost fully collonized just a few days later.
THANK YOU ALL for your help!

A.L.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract