Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Silversoul]
    #3898773 -

Yeah, I'd agree with that. It's really impossible to say how useful they could have been without further testing that was senselessly cut short. Hopefully in the future someone will come to their sense, and we'll get to find out.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Silversoul]
    #3898908 -

The same goes for MDMA.

Does it? MDMA was legal for almost 50 years.


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Swami]
    #3899282 -

Well, there was some promising results with therapy sessions using MDMA, I don't know if they did enough research for definitve conclusions though.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Phluck]
    #3899461 -

Psychedilic research ventures:

http://science.box.sk/newsread.php?newsid=6164


--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3899551 -

I know there have been lots of studies, maps.org is a good resource as well.

But sometimes a few studies can be misleading.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Swami]
    #3899788 -

Swami said:
The same goes for MDMA.

Does it? MDMA was legal for almost 50 years.



Shulgin didn't re-discover MDMA until 1965 and the first underground batch wasn't made until 1967. So it would be stretching it to say that MDMA was legal for 20 years, Swam.


Anyway, about the acid talk. It's cool that you guys don't agree. It will probably make you happier people to not believe what I believe.





--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #3900064 -

mushrooms are a freebie, dont need to kill millions of japs to get it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: fresh313]
    #3900111 -

:wtf:?


--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #3901763 -

It will probably make you happier people to not believe what I believe.

wow. I for one am impressed. sentences like that sound so... romantic, or something... like it's the last thing LearyFan says before he rides off into the sunset, and the townsfolk (us) just staring after him, blinking stupidly, until we get back to our simple, unromantic lives, tilling fields and the like, while LearyFan gets on with the real shit...

or maybe it's just a way to avoid a confrontation which one knows is exposing the fact that one's ideas are poorly fleshed-out

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #3901998 -

MDMA was first synthesized in Germany in 1914, but remained in obscurity until 1954, when the U.S. army showed interest in hallucinogens and commissioned research on MDMA and other substances as a truth serum.


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Swami]
    #3903213 -

A quick google gives:

Quote:
"The drug should have been called Empathy," Shulgin insists. He believes there?s nothing ecstatic about Ecstasy - though he mirthfully admits the drug dealers who coined the tag probably knew what was best for their business.

Prior to 1985, which is when MDMA was declared illegal, it was one of hundreds of compounds that chemists mined for pharmacological activity. However, it wasn?t until the summer of 1976 that Shulgin was curious enough about the old German reject (it had been patented by Merck in 1912) that he decided to "taste test" a batch of his own.

A week before, he?d received a call from a friend recommending he take a closer look. Starting out at 15 milligrams, he found the drug had no effect. Yet, as days turned into weeks, Shulgin gradually increased the dosage and soon found something unexpected.

"I was just amazed by what was there," he says. In his lab notes, he wrote, "I feel absolutely clean inside, and there is nothing but pure euphoria. I have never felt so great or believed this to be possible. The cleanliness, clarity, and marvelous feeling of solid inner strength continued throughout the rest of the day and evening. I am overcome by the profundity of the experience."

from: http://mdma.net/alexander-shulgin/ 



I read somewhere that it was a graduate student who brought MDMA to Shulgin's attention. Can't find the citation just now.

I'm with Learyfan on all this, btw. I think the "hippies" did good stuff. :thumbup:


--------------------
Seek not to rationalize hobgoblins. ~ Yeats

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3903916 -

No, it's just that we're just going to keep going back and forth and nobody here is going to change their mind. What I'm saying is that it's hopeless now and I don't know why I'm trying to convince people to think that way. I don't want people to see the future as being bleak. I want people to be happy. I'll field the questions I haven't fielded below, though. I wasn't trying to act superior and insult anyone.


Swami: I'm just saying that you made it sound like MDMA had been available to the general populace for 50 years. Saying that it was available to people for 20 years while it was legal is stretching it.





--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Phluck]
    #3903993 -

Phluck said:
Have you ever taken LSD with someone who you consider to be a moron? I have. They change from a moron... to a childish moron.




We're talking about a mass shift in consciousness, not turning people into rocket scientists. I think that if psychedelics were legal, they would begin to be viewed in a different way, which would make more and more people take them with different, and with more serious intentions. Maybe the moron you speak of would catch on later than others.



Quote:
Well, yeah. But if acid were the magical catalyst for personal change you make it out to be, wouldn't it not have been so foolish? Wouldn't giving it to the Hell's Angels have changed them, made them realize the errors of their ways and become peace loving hippies?



I invision the psychedelic revolution as being a domino effect. People like the Hell's Angels might be a part of the last wave of people for whom "the thought" clicks with. Until people like the Hells Angels stop playing the macho, bad ass game, I would personally stay as far away from them as possible.





--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Swami]
    #3904022 -

Swami said:
Guess many of you have read the el kool-aid acid test.

Yes and Keseys' group disintegrated, not because of outside forces, but because many DID become fucked up. LSD is one of the most intriguing substances, but does not hold the key to human spiritual development. Abuse is abuse and trippers are still people prone to all of the power and control games that others play.

Got CID?



If psychedelics were legal, people would become wiser and wiser about what drugs do to you. People would eventually learn what line not to cross. The Pranksters and the rest of the hippies didn't know where the line was because they were pioneers and explorers. The reason so many people still get fucked up on drugs is because they aren't given factual information about drugs. They are told to "just say no" and that's all there is to it.





--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #3904038 -

I've known intelligent, well versed psychonauts who still go way overboard. They know how to be cautious, and they've read all the applicable literature, but they still made bad decisions about what they could or couldn't handle.

Your argument doesn't seem to be based on evidence supporting the idea that LSD could have made great changes, you're arguing more with excuses as to why it failed.

What is the evidence it would have made things better? The only thing I can think of is that when you're on acid, it feels like it's that great.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Phluck]
    #3904108 -

Quote:
I've known intelligent, well versed psychonauts who still go way overboard. They know how to be cautious, and they've read all the applicable literature, but they still made bad decisions about what they could or couldn't handle.



That's fine. I've taken too many psychedelics in the wrong place at the wrong time, myself. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way. But if psychedelics were legal, good information would become more and more available. Fewer and fewer people would get themselves in bad situations as time went on.



Quote:
Your argument doesn't seem to be based on evidence supporting the idea that LSD could have made great changes, you're arguing more with excuses as to why it failed.

What is the evidence it would have made things better? The only thing I can think of is that when you're on acid, it feels like it's that great.



Well, "better" is subjective of course. I think a better world is one that is more peaceful and tolerant. Take a look at any group of people who take psychedelics and smoke pot regularly. As a whole, these people are always more peaceful and tolerant. Are you more likely to see a fight in a bar or at a Dead show?






--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Edited by Learyfan (03/11/05 05:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #3904188 -

But if psychedelics were legal, good information would become more and more available. Fewer and fewer people would get themselves in bad situations as time went on.

We can see this model in action as it applies to alcohol. :rolleyes:

Not to mention the sad-but-funny Shroomery and Erowid trip reports wherein kids were repeatedly warned with up-to-date information, yet think it does not apply to them.


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #3904215 -

As a whole, these people are always more peaceful and tolerant. Are you more likely to see a fight in a bar or at a Dead show?

Relevance? Lobotomy patients are quite peaceful, so what? How many fights break out at a Tony Bennett concert?


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #3904217 -

Saying that it was available to people for 20 years while it was legal is stretching it.

No such words appeared on this end. Perhaps the transmission was intercepted and modified (see: Alien Agenda) ...


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Swami]
    #3904247 -

Swami said:
But if psychedelics were legal, good information would become more and more available. Fewer and fewer people would get themselves in bad situations as time went on.

We can see this model in action as it applies to alcohol. :rolleyes:




Well what's to learn about alcohol?  You don't need to be in a good set and setting to get drunk.  Alcohol is first gear.  It's "My First Drug".



Quote:
Not to mention the sad-but-funny Shroomery and Erowid trip reports wherein kids were repeatedly warned with up-to-date information, yet think it does not apply to them.



I don't think the majority of trippers hurt themselves with psychedelics.  Also, take into account that as is stands now, kids don't know who or what to believe.  They've been lied to about drugs for too long.  Once psychedelics are legal, accurate information about them will become common and more and more understood. 



'


--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Edited by Learyfan (03/11/05 05:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* A.O.S.3's LSD/Van Allen Belt theory LearyfanS 1,909 10 02/15/02 05:26 PM
by Roger_irrelevant
* Did we really go to the moon?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
ChiefThunderbong 4,053 90 10/12/03 07:31 AM
by mr_kite
* Do You Ever Question Reality? Adamist 2,154 19 05/25/05 02:42 PM
by Shroomism
* (Human) Consciousness
( 1 2 3 4 all )
trendalM 6,809 64 01/03/04 05:49 PM
by Deiymiyan
* Leslie van Houten Parole? PapaverS 681 2 06/28/02 09:04 AM
by Swami
* Consciousness described by TGD theory trendalM 1,055 10 10/24/03 01:39 PM
by automan
* A theory on gayness
( 1 2 3 4 all )
RebelSteve33 5,510 75 06/09/03 11:46 AM
by Sclorch
* Prediction Theory Zero7a1 1,304 13 05/08/03 10:02 PM
by Zero7a1

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,847 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 17 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.