Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
HPLC Chromatography unit on ebay
    #3897488 - 03/10/05 11:57 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

"Potency detector"?
HP59987A Electrospray Source

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: HPLC Chromatography unit on ebay [Re: VALIS]
    #3899150 - 03/10/05 05:46 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

what exactly are you asking?

HPLC separates peptides out of solution based on a desired characteristic (i.e., hydrophobicity, hydropholicity)...

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

OfflineVALIS
 User Gallery

Re: HPLC Chromatography unit on ebay [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3899503 - 03/10/05 06:51 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:what exactly are you asking?

I was asking what you demonstrated as being an extremely ignorant question... <sheepish grin>

I thought it was equipment that could identify the specific active chemical makeup of shrooms ( or anything else you were to, uh "throw into it" )

I kept seeing "chromatography" come up in many of the potency and extraction threads, and just happened to come across that thing on ebay, so I figured I'd ask.

Quote:

HPLC separates peptides out of solution based on a desired characteristic (i.e., hydrophobicity, hydropholicity)...

It can do all that but can't figure out psylicibinocity?

What a total p.o.s.! Good thing I didn't bid for it!

(c8=

I feel a little foolish, but it'll ware off...

Thanks for responding!

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3900829 - 03/11/05 12:02 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

hey no worries, I wasn't trying to belittle you or anything... I am only starting to work with HPLC in my job and that it separates proteins specifically, and figured I'd chime in.

now, that is HPLC--a very specific kind of chromatography. there are many different kinds of chromatographies that can be done when doing an assay... you would just have to apply some kind of alkaloid assay (which I know nothing about), not a protein one.

and yes, good thing you didn't get it! cause really the HPLC results can only be interpreted through a mass spectrometry machine...... hehe

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3901065 - 03/11/05 01:21 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:

Actually, you can use HPLC to separate damn near anything. For example, I use it for separating semiconductor nanoparticles based on size. It could be used for determining the potency of shrooms, but what a damn expensive way to do it....

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3901093 - 03/11/05 01:37 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:
you would just have to apply some kind of alkaloid assay (which I know nothing about), not a protein one.

An example alkaloid assay:  Extract alkaloids from mushrooms using any high-yeild method.  Pump resulting liquid through HPLC column using one or various eluents.  Record the relative positions of the various separated fractions.  Bioassay (eat :smile: ) each fraction to determine which contain active alkaloids.  Next time you have some of the same kind of mushrooms, all you have to do is run a part of it through the same process and crystallize out the fractions which you determined to be active.  Then weigh them. 

Quote:

and yes, good thing you didn't get it!  cause really the HPLC results can only be interpreted through a mass spectrometry machine...... hehe

Not really, just about anything can be used depending on the molecules being assayed.  For example, IR, UV, visible, or NMR spectroscopies, or, as in the example above, a bioassay.  There exist a nearly unlimited number of methods.

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Re: HPLC Chromatography unit on ebay [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #3901649 - 03/11/05 09:00 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

thanks for the info!  I'm still learning the ropes with it in my job... :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineVALIS
 User Gallery

Re: HPLC Chromatography unit on ebay [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #3902071 - 03/11/05 10:38 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:Actually, you can use HPLC to separate damn near anything.

AHA!

Well, anyhow - there's one of those things being sold "as is" on ebay right now... for 99 cents.

I wonder how much it weighs. Prolly alot.

I wonder how difficult it is use for someone who has no clue what the hell they're doing. Prolly impossible.

The incompetent mad scientist in me totally wants to figure out how to get it home, but the practical, level-headed side of me ( err... actualy, my girlfriend ) says "No way.". So there's that.

--------------------

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
    #3905628 - 03/12/05 01:47 AM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

VALIS said:
Quote:

ChuangTzu said:Actually, you can use HPLC to separate damn near anything.

I wonder how difficult it is use for someone who has no clue what the hell they're doing. Prolly impossible.

Back in college I learned how to use one in a fairly brief session. I never really worked with it much though, and by now I've completely forgotten how, even though that wasn't so many years ago.

But at the time, I was a science major and kinda knew the theory behind it... I swear, I've forgotten at least as much knowledge in my lifetime as I know now.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag