Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLysergium
Shroom
Loc: Canada
Marijuana and Memory Degradation *DELETED*
    #3844052 - 02/27/05 09:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Lysergium

Reason for deletion: ...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesignoffate
Only Human
Loc: Where is here?
Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: Lysergium]
    #3844512 - 02/27/05 10:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You might consider supplementing you diet with wild salmon oil to bring you brain chemisty back into balance. Smoking Pot too much does kill brain cells... they do grow back but you should encourage the process by increasing the concentration of EPA's and DHA(found in fish) in you diet. I have only just begun this myself, but studies have shown that when the brain is deficient in these nutrients in may result in memory loss, depression and general Degredation of proper functioning efficientcy.
Don't forget, Salmon oil!

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: signoffate]
    #3845271 - 02/28/05 01:52 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Smoking Pot too much does kill brain cells.

No.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: Phluck]
    #3845601 - 02/28/05 06:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Can you remember before you started smoking how you focused your eyes? Is it different now? Like when you shift the depth perception to, for example, see better visuals. Many people live in a slightly disassociated state, and are always focusing at the air in between themselves and whatever they're looking at. Sometimes when I've been smoking a lot for a while, I'll forget the normal way of focusing that I used to use.

When you live primarily in your own little world, then you're not paying as much attention as otherwise to life. If you're fully conscious of every action you make, then you'll have a better chance or remembering them later. If you live in the now and participate in life actively, as opposed to passively, then again you have a better chance of remembering. I read somewhere that a Zen master (it may have been some other similar religion...I forget :crazy:) never forgets any detail of his day, because he does everything with great intensity. If life interests you then you'll remember it better...a tree is not beautiful in itself?you must choose to perceive it that way.

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

#3845603 - 02/28/05 06:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, that's misinformation. Smoking marijuana does no brain damage.

Omega 3 Oil is good for your brain chemistry though. Ginko Biloba is an nootropic which is used to improve the memory and concetration and is the best selling herbal supplement. You should research these natural solutions to help you with your problems. Ginko Biloba is on www.erowid.org even.

Personally I have a particularly shitty memory, but I don't know if I can attest to it being because of marijuana. I NEVER smoked marijuana more than twice a week and have probably only smoked it >30 times in my LIFE. My memory problems seem more anxiety related, but then again, I don't really know for a fact.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

InvisibleLysergium
Shroom
Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation *DELETED* [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3846822 - 02/28/05 01:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Lysergium

Reason for deletion: ...

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: Lysergium]
    #3846839 - 02/28/05 01:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

As far as I can tell, my vision is the same, people's vision does often change over time though, and this isn't necessarily related to any kind of drug use.

I smoke a lot of pot, and I feel that I have a pretty good memory. My memory is certainly a lot better than that of my parents, who don't smoke pot, and better than lots of my friends who do.

I think memory is something that can be good or bad for reasons other than drug use as well.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#3847494 - 02/28/05 03:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah my vision seems a little off now too, but I've never been able to pinpoint anything specific. I'm probably just being paranoid, or more observant.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: freddurgan]
    #3848974 - 02/28/05 08:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Lysergium said:
Quote:

the_phoenix said:
Can you remember before you started smoking how you focused your eyes? Is it different now? Like when you shift the depth perception to, for example, see better visuals. Many people live in a slightly disassociated state, and are always focusing at the air in between themselves and whatever they're looking at. Sometimes when I've been smoking a lot for a while, I'll forget the normal way of focusing that I used to use.

When you live primarily in your own little world, then you're not paying as much attention as otherwise to life. If you're fully conscious of every action you make, then you'll have a better chance or remembering them later. If you live in the now and participate in life actively, as opposed to passively, then again you have a better chance of remembering. I read somewhere that a Zen master (it may have been some other similar religion...I forget :crazy:) never forgets any detail of his day, because he does everything with great intensity. If life interests you then you'll remember it better...a tree is not beautiful in itself?you must choose to perceive it that way.

Yeah Ive noticed that my vision is not what it used to be either. Theres like a layer of static over my eyes and everything seems to look dull. And I have a bad case of eye floaters that bother me 80% of the day.

The pheonix, I think you described EXACTLY my mental state of mind.  Do you know of any way to improve this mental state and vision of being stuck in "your own little world".  I live liek this day to day, and I HATE it.  My memory, my mood, my quality of life, my vision, et cetera is drastically and negatively affected by it.  Is there a way to improve this?

Lysergium, I have that static vision too, and I've noticed its existance for about 9 months.  Know of any way to improve/rid it?

Phluck, I firmly believe that this "static" vision is drug-related.  You may be surprised by the number of peolpe on this site who have it or have something parallel to it.  Probably 98% of these people have smoked marijuana or taken some psychadelic.  There is even atleast one trip report on erowid where a guy says he has this "pixel" vision and poor memory and attests that it's likely a result of his drug usage.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3848984 - 02/28/05 08:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

the_phoenix said:

I understand what you're saying because I've noticed myself doing what you described. I am constantly catching myself turned off and unfocused. I will be doing something, but thinking about something else. I'm trying to fix myself by trying to focus, with my eyes and my mind, on what I'm doing all the time. It's hard to stop, though. I've lived in my head for so long. Zoning out is kindof my way of not dealing with anything. It's one of the main things that is making me depressed, though, so I think I can overcome it. I don't want to be depressed forever.

Btw, I've noticed serious memory loss too. It's sad when you can't remember what you did yesterday - or how you managed to waste your whole day because you were out of it from smoking too much weed. I think I need to quit smoking.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #3852193 - 03/01/05 01:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yea, if your feeling shitty from it - then you definately need to stop or cut down heavily.

find anything to fill the void. excercise, television, drawing... whatever. it may seem stupid and insincere at first but it will be a change, which will lead to other changes.

OfflineBlashpherion05
Stranger
Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: Grav]
    #3853580 - 03/01/05 05:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

stop smoking for a month and you will be fine

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: Blashpherion05]
    #3855061 - 03/01/05 11:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

On top of that, and I really don't want to come off as snobby but don't smoke shitty pot. I've noticed that bong rips of "mids" or anything less really hits you.

I only ever smoke good nuggets, I refuse to put shit into my body and I don't notice any memory problems. Well, when you take bong rips it's expected. My every day life however hasn't been in the least, and some times I'll be smoking up before and during work or just whenever. I've only had about 3 really burnt, forgetful moments in the past year of smoking, and that's because I smoked a couple ounces each month last summer. Heh. Nothin' since then. Take care of your body, particularly the things you may and probably are lacking from your normal diet. Look into suppliments like lecithin! Additionally getting omega 3 and 6 acids benifit the overall wellness of your brain.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: browndustin]
    #3857190 - 03/02/05 12:28 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

SocietyRejects and hobbitcg, I think you're both asking the same thing so I'll give one reply.

Well first of all, to get out of that claustrophobic mindspace, smoking less is always an effective means. Also very effective, *love* what you're doing, find beauty in the world around you. It makes you want naturally to focus on the now, so instead of focusing on focusing, you can just focus. :smile: If your aim is specifically to change your mindspace then that won't work...your aim has to be further than that, at which point a better mindspace will arise naturally.

On a purely physical level, don't focus your eyes on empty space between you and what you're looking at. Create a line of sight originating from you, to what you're looking at. What is you? If your mindspace is too cloudy, maybe you're off somewhere and your body is somewhere else. In this case it's difficult to know where exactly your line of sight begins. Put your consciousness back into your body and treat your body like a vessel, and be conscious of it as who you are. If you're going to be consciously in the now, then your mind and body have to be synchronized. Remember, your physical body is what allows you to be physically in the now, as opposed to undefined consciousness floating off in space...use it as a tool.

Do things that help focus...practice focusing with meditation, for example. Or stare at a tiny tiny spot, and keep your sight and awareness focused on it. Don't let thoughts distract you...in order to put those thoughts aside, it's helpful to understand why they're deserving to be put aside, why they lack sustenance. So introspection, spiritual persuit, philosophy, etc, is another route. In fact, that's my personal favourite one. Random or superficial thoughts don't distract me because I understand *why* they are superficial, causing my subconscious mind to cease clinging to them, to cease deriving joy from something so clearly hollow.

There are many different ways...to each his own. :smile:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3857234 - 03/02/05 12:36 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Very interesting, thanks for that post.  :thumbup:

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: MOTH]
    #3857320 - 03/02/05 01:04 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

smoke pot - peer pressure.

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3872320 - 03/05/05 09:12 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Great post, the phoenix, I'll have to try to take advantage of that school of thought. The most annoying part for me is that I haven't smoked marijuana in MONTHS, and when I did it was never more than 2 times a week. I've smoked maybe 20-30 times in the past 5 years, so I don't think that waiting will improve my memory.

I used to be able to strain my eyes and meditate and the static would go away and I'd feel like I was focusing, but I've lost that power for some reason. I'll try changing my state of mind, I'll try some new meditation techniques, and if all else has failed, I'll look into ginkgo biloba.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: Society]
    #3872600 - 03/05/05 11:02 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I wouldn't recommend Ginkgo. Although most people who use it are none the worse for wear, it is risky. It thins your blood in various areas, specifically your brain, increasing the risk of dangerous brain hemorrhaging, as well as making it more difficult for platelets to attach to a wound and help it heal.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Re: Marijuana and Memory Degradation [Re: Society]
    #3873622 - 03/05/05 04:27 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

SocietyRejects said:I used to be able to strain my eyes and meditate and the static would go away and I'd feel like I was focusing, but I've lost that power for some reason.

Perhaps you've lost the conviction that you always have that power. Truly.  :twirlyface:

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

#3879814 - 03/06/05 08:51 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

I've likely lost most of the basic, important brain functions. I've been trying to focus my eyes on distant objects such as street signs and text to read, but I always fail and get the sensation that I'm slowly going blind or my cerebrum is deteriorating.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order