Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: St. John's Wort, Valerian Root

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechrispc
Durban, SouthAfrica (Soon)

Loc: London, UK
Is Caffeine a no no, when depressed?
    #3777620 - 02/14/05 09:26 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It seems to pick you up for a bit and then drop you again. Although sometimes you need a lift. In the longterm I can't figure out if it's worth it.

--------------------
"We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our
thoughts."

- Buddha in the Dhammapada -

ChrisC

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Is Caffeine a no no, when depressed? [Re: chrispc]
    #3777695 - 02/14/05 10:01 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Like pretty much everything, it depends on the person.

If it's making you feel worse, then avoid it, if not, you're fine.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Re: Is Caffeine a no no, when depressed? [Re: Phluck]
    #3777702 - 02/14/05 10:02 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Coffee is a nasty habit in general if you think about it. Who wants to be tethered to that morning and afternoon cup all their lives, and endure the staining teeth, etc...yuck. Coffee is my bane, it is harder to shake then cigarettes for me.

Anyways unlike alchohol, I don't think coffee will affect you when you're depressed.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is Caffeine a no no, when depressed? [Re: Phluck]
    #3777820 - 02/14/05 10:59 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Like pretty much everything, it depends on the person.

If it's making you feel worse, then avoid it, if not, you're fine.

--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3778280 - 02/14/05 12:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

It seems to pick you up for a bit and then drop you again. Although sometimes you need a lift. In the longterm I can't figure out if it's worth it.

Small doses to take the edge of fatigue should be fine.However larger doses that make you feel energetic will usually end up causing more fatigue after the effects wear off encouraging already existing depression often times.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
    #3778469 - 02/14/05 01:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

caffeine can intensify anxiety which can cause depressed mood swings. it just really depends.... caffeine is unhealthy you shouldn't drink it anyways. hope that helps :wink:

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Is Caffeine a no no, when depressed? [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3778545 - 02/14/05 02:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Caffeine is not unhealthy. The main thing caffeine does is stimulate epinephrine, which helps neurotransmitter release, so your mind is sharper and you have more perceived energy.

Caffeine is also addicting, but I found that slightly decreasing the amount over a period of a week and then stopping might produce a headache for a day or two, but then I'm fine. All in all enjoying a cup of coffee for 15 minutes in the day is a welcome release, and unless you are drinking 8 cups a day, I can't see how it would negatively effect anyones life.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineJacquesSauniere
mr
Re: Is Caffeine a no no, when depressed? [Re: looner2]
    #3778756 - 02/14/05 04:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

caffeine depletes magnesium in the body which in turn can cause heart palpitations, its not something that is painfull, but its not a nice feeling when your heart feels like it is pounding or racing.

magnesium isn't easy to replace either unless your an avid eater of nuts, broccoli spinach and soya.

ever feel like you have had palpitations then quit the coffee, i must also mention that smoking heavily and using certain drugs like cocaine can cause palpitations, doing all three will certainly not help things.

i know this thread was about coffee and depression but i thought the heart thing was usefull for people to know out there just in case they suffered similar problems.

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
    #3778766 - 02/14/05 04:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Being drug depedent in anyone situation is basically never healthy.

In my experience, caffeine makes me feel miserable and gives me the impulse to put my head down and shut my eyes. It DOES NOT stimulate me. It seems to have somewhat of a depressing effect. This could be due to my stress and anxiety.

I derived an equation: caffeine + stress? = anxiety or paranoia.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3779636 - 02/14/05 07:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Caffeine is not unhealthy. The main thing caffeine does is stimulate epinephrine, which helps neurotransmitter release, so your mind is sharper and you have more perceived energy.

Perceived energy being the keyword here.In the end you end up more fatigued at stimulating doses.

Caffeine is definitely unhealthy, especially above 150 mg a day.Caffeine consumption above 150mg has a strong link to heart disease and many studies show this.

A single cup of regular coffee has between 120 mg and 200 mg of caffeine depending on the coffee type and source and etc.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Is Caffeine a no no, when depressed? [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3779859 - 02/14/05 07:48 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Caffeine consumption above 150mg has a strong link to heart disease and many studies show this.

Can you show me a study?

Perceived energy being the keyword here.In the end you end up more fatigued at stimulating doses.

Is the release of adrenaline, "perceived"?, no, it is occuring and gives you energy. The comedown from coffee can make you feel fatigued however.

Coffee has a lot of antioxidants which protect the body from free radicals. The same stuff that is in fruits and vegetables.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3779911 - 02/14/05 07:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Coffee, specifically, does not appear to increase depression, but different individuals may express different reactions.

In general, caffeinated coffee or tea will temporarily increase energy levels without a come down period. It may elevate mood when tired. It should not be considered a depressent or something that effects depression.

Now, if you want to know what HELPS depression, check it out:

HERBS

-->

Damiana
Ginseng
Kola
Lady's Slipper
Lavender
Lime Blossom
Oats
Rosemary
Skullcap
Valerian

St. John's Wort is also effective in treating depression.

Remove the things from your life that you are personally doing that cause depression. Know that you must share the burden's of our culture and the way all of us live our lives. We truly are one people living on one planet partaking in the same things. Weep with those who weep. REJOICE with those who rejoice.

Don't get bummed. Take action and encourage yourself while encouraging others.

:heart: :sun: :heart: :sun: :heart:

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3780470 - 02/14/05 10:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Can you show me a study?

The studies I read were in fitness magazines some time ago that I subscribe to.Upon looking for studies online I found conflicting information.So I went to the national library of medicine and they say:

Quote:

Since the early 1900s, coffee has been implicated as having adverse effects on human health. Recent attention has focused on coffee's relation to CHD, but because of conflicting results of epidemiologic studies on coffee and CHD mortality, attention has turned to the effects of coffee and caffeine on individual CHD risk factors. Coffee's effect on serum lipids does not appear to be due to caffeine. If in fact an adverse effect on lipids exists, it may be related to other factors including biochemical constituents other than caffeine, hardness of the water used in preparation, and the method of preparation, filtered coffee having no effect. The data are fairly convincing that chronic coffee ingestion does not induce hypertension, although acute consumption produces a small, short-lived increase in BP. The least well understood effect of coffee is its potential to induce cardiac arrhythmias, including potentially lethal ventricular ectopy in certain individuals. More work is needed in this area of arrhythmias before any concrete recommendations can be made. Until more convincing evidence against coffee is compiled, it appears that, at least in moderate amounts in otherwise healthy persons, coffee is a safe beverage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...p;dopt=Abstract

So I guess I will change my statment to coffee may be unhealthy in doses over normal doses of approximately 150 mg.

However here is a study by duke med that supports the caffeine,heart disease correlation.

http://www.dukemednews.org/news/article.php?id=574

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3780569 - 02/14/05 10:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

However here is a study by duke med that supports the caffeine,heart disease correlation.

No, that study did not support a heart disease correlation. They never said that once.

The relevant message here is that the more caffeine you consume during the day in coffee, tea or soft drinks, the higher your blood pressure is likely to be," Lane said. "Over many years, this increase in blood pressure may heighten your risk of suffering a heart attack or stroke, even if you don't have high blood pressure now."

Big word is "may".

The study showed an increase in blood pressure through caffeine consumption by coffee. They then cited a seperate study that supported an increase in blood pressure increases risk of heart disease.

You can't link those two together and say caffeine causes heart disease. Why?

Blood pressure is raised in many ways. Through sports and the clogging of arteries are two.

If you arteries are clogged through poor diet, triglycerols deposit in your blood vessels causing the blood pressure to rise. It is the deposits that eventually clog the vessel to the point of heart attack. The clogging causes heart disease, not blood pressure.

On another note, sports also raise blood pressure, when you are active your heart pumps blood through your arteries and veins and increases pressure. This is a fact. Can we say that sports and heart disease are linked?

No way.

--------------------

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
    #3782416 - 02/15/05 08:59 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

dude caffeine is unhealthy admit it! anything unnatural for you body is going to be unhealthy in some way.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Is Caffeine a no no, when depressed? [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3782709 - 02/15/05 11:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dude caffeine is unhealthy admit it! anything unnatural for you body is going to be unhealthy in some way.

You bring up a lot of good points. Give me a while to sift through them and I'll get back to you.

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3783243 - 02/15/05 02:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The study showed an increase in blood pressure through caffeine consumption by coffee. They then cited a seperate study that supported an increase in blood pressure increases risk of heart disease.

Sorry I didnt read it that well.I was in a bit of a rush at that moment so I read it quickly.I ended up missing the part about the studies being unrelated.

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3783289 - 02/15/05 02:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I forgot to address this:

Quote:

Is the release of adrenaline, "perceived"?, no, it is occuring and gives you energy. The comedown from coffee can make you feel fatigued however.

It makes you feel like you have more energy yes and technically you do.However caffeine forces your body to produce more adrenaline forhours or sometimes an entire day depending on the person and cirumstances.This leaves your nervous system stressed and overtaxed as well as your adrenal glands.Regular long term use of higher than average doses can contribute to nervous disorders and anxiety disorders as well as burn out your adrenal glands causing them to malfunction.I know this from personal experience.As a kid I use to consume an average of between 600 mg and 1000 mg everyday for years and now it contributed to panic disorder and I also suffer from a weak nervous system as well as adrenal exhaustion.As I kid I was always taught that caffeine was harmless and I found out the hard way it isnt.After several years now Ive made some progress in healing my body but its very slow and I have a long way to go.It used to be that any amount of sugar of caffeine would make me a nervous wreck but now I can handle most stimulants in moderate doses so its a fair improvement I suppose.

Moderate of use of caffeine may have minimal risk but large doses are definitely bad IMO.

--------------------

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
    #3784587 - 02/15/05 07:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Coffee has a bad rap. It may not be as good for you as green tea but no one has really shown any significant negative long-term effects of reasonable coffee use. I'm surprised that on a forum where so many people respect "plant allies" that many would condemn coffee. It may be associated with lower suicide rates.
http://www.canoe.ca/HealthMayeMuskColumns/010821.html

Coffee, in addition to caffeine, contains many antioxidants
http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/80/96454.htm?pagenumber=1

Childen who drink coffee less likely to suffer from depression
http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/80/96454.htm?pagenumber=2

This study's results seem to indicate that caffeinated coffee may significantly reduce the risk of development of Type 2 diabetes (particularly when you take into consideration the fact that many non-coffee drinkers drink soft drinks instead, which likely promote diabetes).
http://www.healtandage.com/Home/gm=20!gid2=2813

Coffee drinkers less likely to develop liver cancer? They don't show the statistics of the study, but it does have a decently sized sample group.
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=1&id=325415

Caffeine potentiates ibuprofen's relief from tension headache symptoms.
http://www.konajoe.com/coffee_is_good_for_you4.html

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: Is Caffeine a no no, when depressed? [Re: TinTree]
    #3784612 - 02/15/05 07:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yeah also, coffee helps moderate asthma attacks and may reduce risk of kidney stones.
http://www.heinebroscoffee.com/coffeehealth.htm

Significant coffee concerns:

Pregnant women who consume caffeine may have higher risks of miscarriage.
It does not cause ulcers but may cause heartburn for some.
Those who suffer from anxiety may find it heightened when using caffeine.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/cont...D=1108512192331

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: St. John's Wort, Valerian Root

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being