Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
No more hurting my dog
    #3753620 - 02/08/05 10:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I want to make a public resolution not to hurt my dog anymore. I have a 4 year old purebread beagle named Kami. I used to really like her company, but she has changed in the last year or so. All she cares about is food. She's on the hunt all day long. She won't come up to me to play anymore. She doesn't like when I hold or pet her anymore, either. I can tell that she is constantly thinking about getting away from me whenever I'm holding her. She doesn't care about me anymore. All of this makes it easy for me to think negatively about her. That is probably part of the reason that I get really mad at her sometimes. Her behaviour has gotten progressively worse over the last year. She doesn't listen to anyone anymore unless they have food. She'll take every oppurtunity to get food no matter what. She's gotten good at sneaking around, grabbing food and running away before I can do anything about it. Stuff like that really pisses me off. For a while I thought that the only thing she would understand is physical reprocution because words don't mean anything to her. Unless you're physically stopping her from doing what you don't want her to do (and what she knows that she isn't supposed to be doing), she does it. So, whenever she did something bad, I would let my anger out and get physical with her. I've hit her really hard, flung her across the room (always onto a soft surface, but still..), held her snout closed really tight, etc.. I usually felt pretty bad after stuff like that happened, but I thought that it was the only way to enforce rules with Kami.

After a few months of trying out this theory, I realize that it's wrong. She still does everything she did before. And now our relationship is even more messed up because I can see that she is scared of me sometimes. Seeing my dog cower away from me made me feel really bad. I realized that I shouldn't even be letting myself go like that. It got to the point where I wasn't hurting her to help her anymore - I was hurting her because I was genuinely enraged. I don't like the idea of me not being in control of my emotions like that. So, from this day on, I'm not going to be physical with Kami anymore.

I just wanted to share my thoughts with everybody. Don't hit your dogs, ok? :smile:

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: No more hurting my dog [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #3753632 - 02/08/05 10:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Why don't you just let her eat all the food she wants?

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: No more hurting my dog [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #3753685 - 02/08/05 10:43 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

food is like a adictive drug for a dog

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #3753743 - 02/08/05 10:57 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

it may be that your dog is unhealthy. i respect your resolution to be more understanding about this behavior. we all need to accept that animals simply can not be relied uppon to behave as humans, and generaly behave as they are meant to. generaly; when an animal behaves otherwise, it is due to some problem and this is often a health one.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: No more hurting my dog *DELETED* [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3753779 - 02/08/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by concretefeet

Reason for deletion: this is not constructive.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Re: No more hurting my dog [Re: looner2]
    #3753802 - 02/08/05 11:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:lol:

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

#3753831 - 02/08/05 11:17 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
Dogs are not humans. Dogs do not understand your thought processes(even your incredibly slow one), so stop thinking your beagle, and I QUOTE, (and what she knows that she isn't supposed to be doing)  because she doesn't. Oh, and that "sneaking around" to find food bit... WHAT THE FUCK? She is hungry so she tries to get food, there is no alterior motive. Dog's are animals.

She does know what she isn't supposed to be doing. I know that because she will droop her ears, lower her head and walk away when I catch her in the process of trying to steal food.

And I know that she doesn't have any alterior motives when trying to get food. That's not the point. I got mad at her for disobeying me. She knows that she isn't supposed to jump onto the table and grab a hamburger off someone's plate, but she does it anyways.

I just wanted to say that I found your post offensive, Looner. I'm not alone in my imperfection as a human. We all make mistakes. I've learned from mine and I'm changing my ways. What more do you want? Maybe I should find some of your posts where you talk about regrets of your own. Then I can slander your existence and pretend that I'm perfect, too. :thumbup:

--------------------
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3753880 - 02/08/05 11:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

behavior training dogs is not an extremely simple business, and the biggest mistake in doing so is to assume too much of teh animal. if the animal wil not do what you want it to do, this is your failing and you need to find another approach. always be sure tat any approach you try is neither ilegal or crule to the animal. if you need any information on acceptable ways to cultivate desired behavior patterns for a dog, i would refer you to this site.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Loc: vermont
    #3755188 - 02/09/05 08:22 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

*inhales and exhales*

okay - this is not a forum to place foul emotions towards people. so i'm going to hold back as MUCH as possible.

i know the minute i saw the topic - i wasn't going to be happy with what i was reading.

i'm sorry but this is disgusting behaviour!! you are abusing your animal. this is no better than child abuse or spousal abuse... you do understand that right? physically hurting another living creature just out of your pure emotions and not knowing what else to do - that's a very very dangerous problem you have.

my stomach is turning over just by thinking about your poor dog.

i honestly think you need to give the dog away. you do not deserve a dog if you do not know how to properly treat it and train it. a dog takes someone who has the time and ability to understand it and train it. you do not seem like that person.

you can go to jail for what you have done. are you aware of that? sending the poor dog across the room is definately reason for someone to call the ASPCA on you.

please - for all it's worth - give the dog away. give it a home where it will NOT be in danger of physical abuse. you first need to bring the dog to a vet - make sure nothing you have done has physically damaged the dog. beagles are hearty dogs but they are still fairly small and can be easily hurt.

please please PLEASE give the dog to someone who can take better care of it.

--------------------
Fuck Ted Nugent he?s a fucking jerk
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he
Forgot how to write a song

OfflineSidiHidi
inactive
    #3755196 - 02/09/05 08:28 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Your frustration is completely understandable.

Small animals often respond with greed when you spoil them with treats or anything besides basic rations. Get him on a basic, normal dog food for a while. Give him no access to anything tastier than it, and when you do, make it a reward for him laying down and being good, not when he begs. The behavior can still be changed.

--------------------
R.I.P. Hunter, you will certainly be missed

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3755373 - 02/09/05 09:53 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

A good friend of mine has an Italian Greyhound. He took it in from an animal shelter because it was a racing dog that was abused. It was starved and beaten regularly. When the dog came to stay with him, you could see his ribs. Now when food is in front of her, she cannot stop eating. She thinks its the last time she'll be able to eat for a long time, so she gorges herself at any opertunity she can.

Its sad, she doesn't trust any strangers. She will bite if you make a quick motion to pet her (and she doesn't trust you). This dog is so fat now it can barely walk, and is still a mental mess.

Its very sad to see what people can do to dogs, and the animosity and fear that these terrible humans put into the dog won't ever go away. Shes fucked.

I know sometimes you think that whacking your dog will teach it a valuable lesson, and will straighten out its bad behavior pattern. Dogs are very smart, and won't forget the abuse. Your dog will be cowering mess if you continue. Like someone already mentioned, if you cannot care for your dog without it angering you to the point that you will throw it across a room, maybe you shouldn't be a dog owner.

Patience and understanding are very important when raising a dog properly, and you exhibited that you have neither. So maybe give it to a shelter that will find an acceptable owner.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: No more hurting my dog [Re: Boom]
    #3756838 - 02/09/05 03:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for your responses everyone.

@ Booooom + Delyrium - I'm not going to give my dog away. If you missed it before, I'm not going to hurt my dog anymore.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

#3761026 - 02/10/05 09:31 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not going to give my dog away. If you missed it before, I'm not going to hurt my dog anymore.

Read before posting.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3761197 - 02/10/05 10:27 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Sure you won't hobbitcg. Let me just say this, if you threw your dog across the room one time, and then continued to beat it and hold its nose shut, you HAVE NO COMPASSION for animals. To me that signifies an underlying mental disorder. Don't expect someone to just accept your stupid affirmation that you won't hurt it anymore. The thought of holding a dogs nose closed disgusts me beyond belief, and your dog will NEVER trust you again, and therefore will live in misery knowing what you are capable of.

DO THE RIGHT THING. Give the dog away. I'm serious, del was serious, and any sane minded individual will tell you to do the same.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

#3761246 - 02/10/05 10:41 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You know I hear dogs can make a great sandwich.

:wink:

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN
    #3761302 - 02/10/05 10:57 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Your dog has dominance issues

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN
    #3761309 - 02/10/05 10:58 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
Sure you won't hobbitcg. Let me just say this, if you threw your dog across the room one time, and then continued to beat it and hold its nose shut, you HAVE NO COMPASSION for animals. To me that signifies an underlying mental disorder. Don't expect someone to just accept your stupid affirmation that you won't hurt it anymore. The thought of holding a dogs nose closed disgusts me beyond belief, and your dog will NEVER trust you again, and therefore will live in misery knowing what you are capable of.

DO THE RIGHT THING. Give the dog away. I'm serious, del was serious, and any sane minded individual will tell you to do the same.

Yea sure give it to the animal shelter and they will put it to sleep.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

#3762171 - 02/10/05 02:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:

I think you misunderstood what I wrote before. I never hurt her for an extended period of time. I would throw her (onto a couch or my bed - any soft surface around) and leave it at that. Or I would hit her or hold her snout for a few seconds (not block her from breathing - I just held her snout tightly because I knew she didn't like it). I never beat her or did any of these kinds of punishments one after the other. It was always a quick reprocution.

You guys are acting like I'm out of control with my anger and I can't change. If you had seen me do any of these kinds of physical punishment to my dog, I think you would understand that it really wasn't anything serious. It's not like I would deck her across the face with a closed fist. I would slap her head to let her know that she had done something bad. There was force behind the slap, but it's nothing. I'm sure it didn't even hurt her.

I'm not giving my dog away. She has a good home with me. I made a mistake these past few months. I didn't know that getting physical with my dog was a bad thing at the time. Now I know that it is and I'm stopping. Is that so hard to beleive?

Btw, my dog already trusts me again. She has always liked my company. Other than getting physical with her when she was misbehaving, I always treated her well. I take care of her and give her lots of attention. I know she is happy with me and I plan to keep her for the rest of her life. Please stop suggesting that I give her away. That's stupid.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3762335 - 02/10/05 02:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

looner2 feels as do I, and the SPCA] that it is unexceptable to discipline an animal in this way. i believe you are trying to better your hadnling of your dog, though i think that you should take an animal care course.

i believe that anyone can learn to respect others even in states of frustration. this applies to animals and people.

unfortunately, and this si where it affects you: many people who have hostility probs or have certain views on discipline never do come to change, and many people have experiences in ths regard wich case them to be pessimistic aboutit.

--------------------

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: No more hurting my dog [Re: canid]
    #3764350 - 02/10/05 09:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Beagles are the biggest gluttons for some reason. Everyone I know that has ever had a beagle had a beagle that was obsessed with food.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom