Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJazz
Stranger
Building A Terrium - Air Tight?
    #373125 - 08/16/01 02:58 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

New grower here, I'm in the process of putting together my terrium. I'm using a large clear rubbermaid container, big enough to hold about 10-12 cakes, and I plan to use perlite for humidty.

One question, does the terrium have to be air-tight? The rubbermaid containers have lids that snap on, but they are not completely air tight. Are there any other problems I might have with this set up?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewaveyhaze
Re: Building A Terrium - Air Tight? [Re: Jazz]
    #373137 - 08/16/01 03:22 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

This is what works for me. Take a white kitchen garbage bag place over terrarium now take 3 or 4 large rubber bands and link them together and tie the ends .You should now have one big rubber band.Place around garbage bag and ~presto~ one airtight lid. :)

peace

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #373140 - 08/16/01 03:27 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Air-tight is completely relative.Yes, your set-up is more than sufficient.

InvisibleTUT
Stranger
Loc: USA
    #373142 - 08/16/01 03:38 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Jazz,
I just set up a rubermaid chamber just like the one you described last weekend. I found that the lid like you said did not seal well. Here is what I did and mine is working very well at this point. I found some of that foam stripping that you can put around doors to help keep in the heat/ keep out the cold, I think it is ussually called weather stripping. Mine had addhesive on the foam but because it was several years old I had to put some scotch two sided tape around the top first and then put the foam down on it. Where the lid has those locking handle deals I just cut the foam to sit inside it the best I could. Do not worry if it is not perfect, I did mine in less than 10 minutes and it is working almost to good to be true.
When you get all the foam in place put the lid on it and press down on the end you want to close first and snap the handle shut. You will have to press the lid down into the foam in order to get it to close good. Then do the other end and snap that one shut. At that point I thought mine was good to go but shortly found out that even though the ends were holding a tight grip with the chamber and the lid, the middle part of the lid had gaps between the top of the foam and the lid. I solved this one by placing two large free weights on each side of the lid where they were needed most. The weights are about 10 pounds each and do a perfect job. They even leave enough room for a flourescent aqaurium light strip that I put in the middle of my lid over a rectangular hole that I covered with a piece of pexiglass that is siliconed to make it airtight.
I too went with the perlite tek and am so glad I did. I read many different ideas on how much perlite to use and also how much water. I decided to use about 2 to 3 inches of perlite that is pre soaked in water and a little hydrogen peroxide solution. I then drain it after soaking for a minute or two in the water solution. I use a vegetable strainer to drain it. The results are amazing. I birthed Sunday night and now have shrooms forming on all of my cakes. I have seen no sighn of contams and I hope I never will. Sorry this is long but it sounded like a question that I was debating what to do myself just a few days ago. Good luck and let us know how it does. Peace be with you always, TUT

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Building A Terrium - Air Tight? [Re: TUT]
    #373159 - 08/16/01 04:00 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Tut, no offense, but why bother? It all goes down the drain when we open to fan, mist or pick our first flush. Keep the humidity up and your're good to go.

InvisibleTUT
Stranger
Loc: USA
Re: Building A Terrium - Air Tight? [Re: puscle]
    #373321 - 08/16/01 09:05 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I hear ya Puscle & no offense taken. I agree that it all "goes down the drain" when we open up to fan and such, but if I was'nt able to get the humidity up with a tighter lid I would have never been able to have it go "down the drain". Peace b w/u Puscle, TUT

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Building A Terrium - Air Tight? [Re: puscle]
    #373480 - 08/17/01 02:40 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

My terrarium is completely open at one side and i havent lost a casing... Originally i only opened it to keep down humidity and fan, but in the end i just leave a side open all the time...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag