Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
she is a LIAR!! a LIAR!! lie lie lie LIAR!!!
    #3679178 - 01/25/05 08:14 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st.../senate_rice_22
Democrats Say Rice Misled About Iraq War

By ANNE GEARAN, AP Diplomatic Writer

WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats said Tuesday that Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) lied to them, misled Americans about the Iraq (news - web sites) war or served as an apologist for Bush administration failures in Iraq, but she remained on track for confirmation as secretary of state.

Rice, who has been President Bush (news - web sites)'s national security adviser for four years, was one of the loudest voices urging war, Democrats said. She repeatedly deceived members of Congress and Americans at large about justifications for the war, said Sen. Mark Dayton (news, bio, voting record), D-Minn.

"I don't like impugning anyone's integrity, but I really don't like being lied to," Dayton said in opposing Rice's nomination on the Senate floor. "Repeatedly, flagrantly, intentionally."

Rice is expected to win confirmation on Wednesday. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., predicted that Rice would have "an overwhelming majority" of votes.

Sen. Richard Lugar (news, bio, voting record), R-Ind., cautioned against "inflammatory rhetoric that is designed merely to create partisan advantage or to settle partisan scores."

Rice would succeed Colin Powell (news - web sites), who often found himself on the outside looking in with Bush's close circle of war and national security advisers.

By contrast, Rice is a trusted Bush loyalist. As a principal architect of the Iraq invasion and the administration's war on terrorism, she shares blame for overstating the threat posed by Saddam Hussein (news - web sites), Democrats said.

Dayton accused Rice and other Bush administration officials of "lying to Congress, lying to our committees, lying to the American people."

Politicians rarely use the word "lie," preferring some of the milder terms other Democrats used Tuesday.

"There was no reason to go to war in Iraq when we did, the way we did and for the false reasons we were given," said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-Mass.

Rice is not directly responsible for intelligence failures prior to the Iraq war that overestimated Saddam's nuclear capability, said Sen. Carl Levin (news, bio, voting record), D-Mich. "But she is responsible for her own distortions and exaggerations of the intelligence which was provided to her," Levin said.

"Dr. Rice is responsible for some of the most overblown rhetoric that the administration used to scare the American people," Sen. Robert Byrd (news, bio, voting record), D-W.Va., said.

The Senate set aside most of the day Tuesday to debate the Rice nomination after Democrats revolted against a plan to confirm Rice last week, on the same day that Bush took his oath for a second term.

"We should have been done last week," Frist said. "I was disappointed that we are having to march through the debate today. But ultimately the vote will occur."

Republicans who took the floor to endorse Rice included Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record), R-Neb., who has been a sometime critic of the Bush administration's Iraq policies.

"Dr. Rice has the intelligence, the integrity and the experience for this job. She has the president's confidence," Hagel said.

In his dealings with Rice, "she's always been candid and honest, and she listened," Hagel said.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee on Tuesday sought to capitalize on sharp questioning of Rice during her confirmation hearings. The DSCC sent a fund-raising e-mail signed by Sen. Barbara Boxer (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., with the subject line "Taking a Stand."

"I will continue to make my voice heard on the Senate Foreign Relations committee, but in order to put the brakes on four more years of misdirection in Iraq and reckless policies at home, we need to elect more Democrats to the Senate during the 2006 midterm elections," Boxer wrote, noting her questioning of Rice. "Click here to contribute to the DSCC today."

"This disturbing letter puts to rest any doubts some may have had that this is all about politics," Rice spokesman Jim Wilkinson said.

Meanwhile, the Republican National Committee (news - web sites) sent an e-mail to its supporters with the subject line "Meet the New Face of the Democratic Party." It portrayed Boxer as having a "left of liberal" voting record and being closely tied to the Hollywood elite. The e-mail included a link for supporters to "support the Bush agenda by becoming a team leader today."

Democrats, in the minority in Congress, often resort to delaying what they cannot defeat.

Byrd, the longest-serving Democratic senator and a student of the Constitution, insisted that his party is merely doing its duty.

"I am particularly dismayed by criticism I have read that Senate Democrats by insisting on having the opportunity to debate this nomination have somehow been engaged in nothing more substantial than petty politics or partisan delaying tactics," Byrd said, his voice rising in anger.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: she is a LIAR!! a LIAR!! lie lie lie LIAR!!! [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #3679279 - 01/25/05 08:38 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Rice should take this as a compliment. They are horribly afraid of her political aspirations and what she is capable of.

On a side note, the most ironic statement of the day goes to my liberal extremist sister. "Republicans shouldn't be allowed to have minorities in their party because they are racist".

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
Re: she is a LIAR!! a LIAR!! lie lie lie LIAR!!! [Re: Catalysis]
    #3682704 - 01/26/05 01:02 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Funny as well how Rice and Powell both stated in a TV interview in 2001 that Saddam was absolutely no threat and had no WMD.

Boy did they change their tune!

InvisibleLe_Canard
I AM NOT A FISH!

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: she is a LIAR!! a LIAR!! lie lie lie LIAR!!! [Re: CJay]
    #3682711 - 01/26/05 01:04 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Gotta tow the party line or bad things happen...

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3682716 - 01/26/05 01:05 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Did you happen to catch the SNL skit about the confirmation hearings, it was pretty funny.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: she is a LIAR!! a LIAR!! lie lie lie LIAR!!! [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3682863 - 01/26/05 01:41 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

i hate when people get mad at the dems for delaying things in the senate or house, when it was a democratic senate the republicans did the same thing, yet when its their thigns getting delayed they bith and moan about how "they are holding up the process" and all that bullshit. THAT is the fucking process, both sides do it. The republicans like to pretend they dont. And big fuckign deal if that boxer bitch has hollywood friends, The republicans didnt seem to mind having ARNOLD speak at the fucking convention... Its sad how hippocritical republicans are.

peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: she is a LIAR!! a LIAR!! lie lie lie LIAR!!! [Re: blaze2]
    #3682920 - 01/26/05 01:59 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Its sad how hippocritical people are.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: she is a LIAR!! a LIAR!! lie lie lie LIAR!!! [Re: cb9fl]
    #3683079 - 01/26/05 02:49 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

hippo's are the most critical....

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3683314 - 01/26/05 03:46 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

I wonder if they are going to go after that one President from Ark who lied, or the Senator from Mass that voted for it and "lied"?

lol thats funny, the thought of that happening will keep me entertained for hours.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3683436 - 01/26/05 04:06 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
i hate when people get mad at the dems for delaying things in the senate or house, when it was a democratic senate the republicans did the same thing, yet when its their thigns getting delayed they bith and moan about how "they are holding up the process" and all that bullshit. THAT is the fucking process, both sides do it. The republicans like to pretend they dont. And big fuckign deal if that boxer bitch has hollywood friends, The republicans didnt seem to mind having ARNOLD speak at the fucking convention... Its sad how hippocritical republicans are.

peace

blaze2

Until the first Bush administration nobody in the history of the United States had ever used a fillabuster against nominations. In fact before then hardly any appointees were not confirmed, EVEN under Bill Clinton. Historically presidents right to appointment was respected until the Democrats decided power struggle was more important than civility or constitutional precedent. These stalling tactics, such as having 9 hour debates are also a new development and never been a common or respected practice.

What it says to me: If they can't get what they want Democrats are willing to break the rules, take cheap shots, and disgrace Congress with petty politics. To them the ends seems to justify the means, any means. Hell, they already tried to use lawyers to sue themselves enough ballots to steal the vote from the 3 time winner. As I see it they have little respect for the consitution and little self respect. Republicans have only once done a debate marathon, and that was in PROTEST of Democrats fillibustering a half dozen qualified apointees. Shutting down the executive process for 4 to 8 years in hopes of monopolizing appointments is selfish and downright dangerous. With all the vacancies we still have in the Federal Courts and cabinet positions America is overstrected and very vulnerable.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #3683523 - 01/26/05 04:22 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

quote " i don't like impugning on ones integrity but i really don't like being lied to Dayton said" hahahahahahahahaha

neither do we, and that's why you are in the minority.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: she is a LIAR!! a LIAR!! lie lie lie LIAR!!! [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3683684 - 01/26/05 04:48 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

im?pugn Audio pronunciation of "impugning" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-pyn)
tr.v. im?pugned, im?pugn?ing, im?pugns

To attack as false or questionable; challenge in argument: impugn a political opponent's record.

Isn't that basically what happens constantly in this forum?

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3687454 - 01/27/05 05:42 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: she is a LIAR!! a LIAR!! lie lie lie LIAR!!! [Re: Phred]
    #3687524 - 01/27/05 07:08 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

maybe the democrats dont think shes qualified, ever think of that?

She did lie tho. I know she cant control what intelligence she gets, obviously, but she did exaggerate what the DID have. Besides that she has lied about things that happened before 9/11. she said something like we had no idea anythign like this was going to happen, and well it turns out that they had a report that terrorists might be trying to use planes as bombs, hmmmm. Sounds like a lie

Yes clinton lied too, i agree completely, but he didnt lie about something that affects the nation, he lied about a personal relationship. It has no bearing on how he did his job.

"neither do we, and that's why you are in the minority" lonestar2004

The "minority" of this country is a few percentage points. Nearly HALF the fuckign country didnt vote for bush, yet you republicans act like, because he won just over half the votes, he has free reign to do whatever the fuck he wants. It boggles my mind how republicans can convince themselves of that, it just makes no sense...

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3687534 - 01/27/05 07:14 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

blaze2 writes:

maybe the democrats dont think shes qualified, ever think of that?

Oh, please. She's as qualified to be SecState as any past Democratic SecState ever was. This has nothing to do with her qualifications and everything to do with Dem bitterness at losing. Show me a quote from any of the Dem challengers involved in that disgusting display of cheap partisan hack grandstanding that questioned her qualifications. Any one will do.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion