Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags, Perlite, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Basic mycobag and fruiting questions
    #3674219 - 01/24/05 10:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hi gang,
I'm looking for some advice.  This is my first time growing edible and novelty mushrooms, though I've grown some cubensis in the past.  Right now, reishi, shiitake, and panellus stipticus (luminescent) are colonizing inside three small mycobags.  The reishi/shiitake are colonizing wood-based substrate, and the panellus is colonizing rye grain.  I'm curious as to what you all would recommend after they are fully colonized.

The way I understand it, there are two main options:
#1, Cut off the top of the mycobag at the level of the top of the mycelium block, then put it in a humidity chamber.
#2, Cut an X on the bag, and the mushrooms will grow out of that.

Now, questions:
- If I cut off the top of the mycobag, would it be reasonable to put it in a humidity chamber that consists of a fishtank with perlite and water? (I really want to put the panellus in a fishtank, for obvious reasons. :tongue2: ) Would I need to cover up the mycobag with something opaque so that the fruit isn't growing up the sides, as is done in casing?
- If I decide to do the X slice, do I only make one?  With this method, would it be best to fruit it in one of those plastic bags w/holes in it (that come with the mycobags), or does it even need to be covered up at all?
- Should I cold shock? (They are incubating at about 80 degrees right now)
- Should the same method be applied to all three? (X vs. top)

I anyone can help with these questions, I would very much like to hear the answers.  Any other suggestions are also appreciated.  Thanks!  :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: Basic mycobag and fruiting questions [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3676397 - 01/25/05 08:51 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Fruit formation directly from the rye based bag using panellus mycelium will be moderate, if not very light. Panellus form much better from wood based substrates and usually don't grow to full size, shape, and form if they are not allowed to mature outdoors. You will still observe the bio-lum properties of the mycelium and any small fruits that form on the rye, but just don't expect the same sorts of results you'd get if you spawned to wood and then placed the spawn outdoors.

As for the reishi, the best way to work this one is to cut the small X's in the side of the bag after it reaches full colonization and then place the entire bag in a larger humidity chamber. This will promote antler formation at the puncture sites. The more frequent the air exchange during the fruiting process the better odds you'll have at promoting the "fan" type spore producing body rather than the antler type growth. Both forms of growth are usable for consumption in medicinal applications (tea, powder, pills, ect).

For the shiitake you should allow the bag to fully colonize at standard incubation temps then drop temperatures for an extended period of time (2-3 weeks). Cold shocking in a fridge is good and will stimulate pin formation. Usually we let ours start pinning in the bag during the temp drop/cold shock process and then either completely remove the bag material and place the block in a chamber to allow unrestricted fruiting or we will simply release the pins from the bag by cutting holes around them and place the bag in a chamber or humidity tent. Either way works great, but cold shocking or a drop in temps is required to properly promote shiitake growth.

Remember that both shiitake and reishi are slow growing species, although you will see reishi pin and fruit formation faster than that of shiitake.

Good work in expanding your mushroom cultivation skills and experience! I find that growing edibles, medicinals, and novelty mushrooms can be a much more rewarding experience than the other classic mushrooms commonly explored on these boards.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Basic mycobag and fruiting questions [Re: psilocyber]
    #3678071 - 01/25/05 04:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks very much for the info. :thumbup: With the panellus, I actually tried first injecting (a lot) of the culture solution into a wood-based mycobag, but nothing happened.  Then I injected it into the rye-based bag, and it is colonizing.  What do you think might have happened there?  Also, what is the advantage of fruiting outside - air circulation?

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Basic mycobag and fruiting questions [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3678447 - 01/25/05 05:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Land_Crab said:
Also, what is the advantage of fruiting outside - air circulation?

Mother Nature is far better at cultivating than all of us combined. Really, colonise two blocks/beds/whatever of the fungi of your choice. Place 1 block in an optimal indoor setup and place the 2nd in an optimal outdoor environment. Watch Miss Nature kick your ass! The downsides to outdoor cultivation are, obviously, all related to your inability to keep Mother Nature from deviating from an optimal environment. Depending on what geographical region you live in this can be a minor irritation or a complete show stopper. I'm lucky enough to live an area that tends to stay very mushroom-friendly.

The number of variables going on outdoors opposed to your indoor setup are mind-boggling. Morchella Delicosa (sp?) and Amanita Muscaria are 2 prime examples of what I'm talking about. We are still trying to figure out what subtle "ingredients" and weather patterns Nature uses to get these things fruiting.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Basic mycobag and fruiting questions [Re: debianlinux]
    #3678828 - 01/25/05 07:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmmm... I think I'll give that a shot at some point in the future.  For now, though, I just want to have 1 successful cultivation attempt of gourmet/medicinal/novelty mushrooms.  I know how it's a learning experience.  Thanks for the advice, though!    :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags, Perlite, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms